FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Menu from today's FRA-IAD #988 .

Ordered the salmon, not bad. Slightly overcooked. Skipped the arrival meal.

I enjoyed the Bordeaux, but skipped the champagne. While I am far from a connoisseur, it did not look good.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
UA 17: LHR to EWR
June 9, 2019
Boeing 767-400, Lunch, Lunch

The appetizer was reasonably tasty and remains the saving grace of a lot of UA meal services. Honestly, I wish they would serve the entire set of appetizers in the rotation all at once, and make a meal service out of that.
Totally OT. In the mid-90's when my wife was working for a Finnish company and was traveling on Finnair, she would always ask if she could get a second serving of the appetizer in lieu of the main dish. She always got the second serving but then they always served her the main dish (which was not needed). Even worse: if the appetizer involved caviar, she would see that her neighbor was not touching it so she would ask for it.

However, her favorite appetizer of all times was on Sabena but she was traveling so often on that airline in the 80's and early 90's that she never felt the need to ask for a second serving as she would get it again the following week.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Totally OT. In the mid-90's when my wife was working for a Finnish company and was traveling on Finnair, she would always ask if she could get a second serving of the appetizer in lieu of the main dish. She always got the second serving but then they always served her the main dish (which was not needed). Even worse: if the appetizer involved caviar, she would see that her neighbor was not touching it so she would ask for it.
Haha

In my case though it would be really nice to get six different appetizers and call it the meal service. Back when UA was still running the GF cabin I thought it would have been a clever way to distinguish.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by findark
UA 17: LHR to EWR
June 9, 2019
Boeing 767-400, Lunch, Lunch

I was treated to the same menu as hirohito888, above. Nothing jumped off the list as particularly appetizing, so I decided to go for the beef.

The appetizer was reasonably tasty and remains the saving grace of a lot of UA meal services. Honestly, I wish they would serve the entire set of appetizers in the rotation all at once, and make a meal service out of that. The caprese was decent, although hardly memorable. Salad was fine, which is better than a lot of salads on UA these days, and the garlic bread was of course timeless.

The new TV-dinner preparation of Polaris meals is downright awful. Miraculously, it ended up tasting all right, despite the beef being quite overcooked and everything else baked into oblivion. Honestly, this course would have been at least 30% better if it had just been properly plated rather than looking like it came straight out of the microwave.

At least UA hasn't managed to ruin dessert. ex-LHR even had some interesting cheeses.

The arrival service was awful. The menu author clearly had given up, describing the dish as Pizza (the other option being Beef Stew - also with no modifiers), but hey I figured the red-eye calzone and BoB Uno's were not that bad, so why not give it a shot?

Ugh. Most frozen pizzas at the grocery store are better, and the salad was an inedible pile of cucumber chunks which I returned uneaten. At least this was followed by the EWR PL and a meal flight, so it's not like I was in any danger of going hungry.

ed. the overall experience was lousy I almost forgot to mention the wine, which was a bright spot - among the reds was a pretty outstanding (at least to my elevation-addled palate) Ch teauneuf-du-Pape, although I did not scrutinize the bottle.
That is just disgusting. Elementary school lunches look better than that.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I had the HNML special meal SFO-SIN last week (sorry no pics) and the main dish for both meals is served in the larger platter bowl not the new pathetic casserole dish.

And the FA must have seen how I gazed at the garlic bread as he kept hooking me up!

Sadly, the appetizer is a repeat both meals (some cold lentils) and the salad is served with a small oil/balsamic screwtop bottle that never mixes together properly.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
The London to Newark meal posted above is beyond tragic. That main course would be disgusting if served in economy. In a premium cabin? Unimaginable. I am thankful for the posts as it confirms that UA long haul is to be avoided at all costs.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
June 12 Tokyo Narita to Washington Dulles

Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
It is most instructive to go up to the beginning of this thread and read the marketing copy, then recall from recent experience how Polaris on board dining has become worse than what came before it.
AeRoSpaceman and east_west like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Reminder -- the thread's topic is meals offered by UA in the Polaris Cabin.

An OT discussion of FAs and their role in safety has been removed.

Let's return to the thread's topic

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
That Japanese option does not look half bad, Can anyone comment on it further?

I usually take NH to NRT (or the odd TG).

Last edited by IAH2MEL; Jun 16, 2019 at 9:13 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by IAH2MEL
That Japanese option does no look half bad, Can anyone comment on it further?

I usually take NH to NRT (or the odd TG).
The Japanese meal is better than other entree choices on the menu, but the UA Japanese meals are not as good as the ones served on NH or SQ.

IMHO, regardless the types of cuisines, UA Polaris catering has deteriorated in the last 6 months. All the East Asian based *A carriers’ in-flight meals are better.
IAH2MEL likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Agreed that the Japanese meal looks better than the garbage Western meals posted above it. Better, until one understands what JAL serves in business class. The message comes through that UA does not depend on attracting passengers; instead it trades on captives who have little choice. Fortunately I have a choice. Thank you, Kirby, for making my decision to avoid UA at all costs so easy.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
The Japanese meal is better than other entree choices on the menu, but the UA Japanese meals are not as good as the ones served on NH or SQ.

IMHO, regardless the types of cuisines, UA Polaris catering has deteriorated in the last 6 months. All the East Asian based *A carriers’ in-flight meals are better.
At this point, I can't think of any *A carriers who have worse J meals than UA.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
While the UA J meals have seriously gone down in quality, i find them now about on par with LH J, which tend to have small portions and weird flavors (lots of pickled stuff).

I tend to much prefer NH, SQ, BR, but it could also be because I enjoy Asian food, and tend to eat protein-heavy. Unlike UA/LH, these airlines provision extra entrées, so I’ve never had an issue asking for a second entrée / protein. On BR, I recently had a duck breast with risotto AND a sautéed ginger scallion lobster dish. Yum!

When you avoid the bread, dessert, and carbs on Polaris J, most of the time you’re left with a 4oz tenderloin hockey puck or over cooked 6-8 oz chicken breast. Gone are the days of the pre-Polaris 1lb pork chops! That was a real entrée.

(The Japanese meals on UA are probably the only decent meals left at this point. The ones posted above look pretty good.)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:44 am

I don't understand the comment about LH, comparing them to the repulsive slop that UA now offers in J. LH food is actually quite good, the wines equally so, and the service excellent. In short, LH is MUCH better. LH plates the J meals in the galley rather than the "TV dinner" approach of UA heating everything in the serving dish.
Santander likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.