Wiki Posts
Search

Sfo to Australia feb 2020

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bear Backers
Sfo to Australia feb 2020

my wife and I would like to fly business We each have about 200k miles. In searching I can find no saver awards no matter what date I pick. Would I be better off calling? Also was considering going business and returning Premium economy if I have to use all the miles on the outgoing. I would imagine buying a one Wayne would not be cheap . Any advice would be appreciated.

We are retired and might be able to move the dates. Also considering doing a cruise on the way back. Probably cheaper than buying PE.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oskidunker
my wife and I would like to fly business We each have about 200k miles. In searching I can find no saver awards no matter what date I pick. Would I be better off calling? Also was considering going business and returning Premium economy if I have to use all the miles on the outgoing. I would imagine buying a one Wayne would not be cheap . Any advice would be appreciated.

We are retired and might be able to move the dates. Also considering doing a cruise on the way back. Probably cheaper than buying PE.
February 2020? Those tickets won't go on sale until March 2019.

UA may not offer Premium Economy on the Australia routes by February 2020, as the planes they're using for that route are among the last scheduled for retrofit.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
February 2020? Those tickets won't go on sale until March 2019.

UA may not offer Premium Economy on the Australia routes by February 2020, as the planes they're using for that route are among the last scheduled for retrofit.
Thanks. will look at other airlines.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
OP: Since you can use your miles to buy your wife a ticket and vise versa, use the miles for two one way awards for your wife at the standard rate ( you will have to do 2 one ways since the miles are coming from two separate accounts ) and buy yourself a round trip with cash.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
very few award tickets with any airline can be booked more than 1 year in advance.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks Excellent idea. I will do that. I am aware of the booking time frame. Not booking till nest year but just trying to get information.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some people travelling USA to Australia with UA miles go via Asia. Via BKK on Thai is popular with some.

Just looking for SFO SYD will limit your options. Look from all USA west coast airports to all Aust airports or even NZ airports, with a separate flight to Aust.

Air NZ (Star Alliance) is a UA ff partner, but are known to offer few awards

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia
  • American Airlines AA(LAX - SYD) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner)
  • Air Canada AC (YVR – SYD BNE MEL) [Star Alliance]
  • Air New Zealand NZ (LAX SFO ORD IAH YVR via AKL)[Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN (LAX via Tahiti. Last segments on codeshares) (AA & DL partner)
  • Delta DL (LAX – SYD) (VA & AS partner) [Skyteam Alliance]
  • Fiji Airways FJ (LAX SFO HNL – BNE SYD MEL ADL via Fiji) (QF, AA & AS partner)
  • Hawaiian HA (HNL – BNE SYD) (AA & VA partner)
  • Jetstar JQ (HNL – BNE SYD MEL)
  • Qantas QF (LAX SFO JFK(via LAX) DFW HNL YVR*– SYD; LAX-BNE; LAX SFO-MEL) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner) {* seasonal}
  • United UA (LAX-MEL, LAX SFO IAH– SYD) (SFO-MEL from 20 Oct 2019)[Star Alliance]
  • Virgin Australia VA (LAX – BNE SYD MEL) (codeshares with AC*) (Delta & AC* partner) [*= some routes in 2017-18 link]
And others via Asia & Middle East

Edit
From another thread
Originally Posted by Duke787
+1. This is true with AA and UA too though only UA actually lets you ticket with Asia as your connecting point at the same price as booking US - SYD directly. If you can make it work it's one of the solid values on the UA award chart.

And with AA you can snag US - TYO in J for a relatively cheap 60k and then TYO - SYD / MEL in J is an absurdly cheap 40k.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.