Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC and Virgin Australia in codeshare for Australia, NZ

AC and Virgin Australia in codeshare for Australia, NZ

Old Dec 15, 16, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
Virgin Australia's business class absolutely blows away Air Canada's product.
This is an understatement.
There just is no comparison. One of my favourite trips in J.

Lets see if AC tacks on scamcharges onto redemptions

It would also open up some South Pacific destinations that seems rarely available on NZ - RAR,APW,TBU,VLI
Old Dec 15, 16, 4:10 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
This is an understatement.
There just is no comparison.
Yes, because VA's 2-3-2 J config is so much superior to AC's pod config.

To be fair, VA is a very good airline, and it is in the process of upgrading their J product and installing pods on all longhaul aircrafts - and I'm quite happy about the AC-VA partnership. But why bash AC at every opportunity?
Old Dec 15, 16, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
It absolutely was. I like talking to the person I am flying with.
Everything else was also superior, the food, the setup, the amenities, and most importantly, the crews.

Let me know when AC gives me PJs in J, and hangs up my stuff in a garment bag.
Old Dec 15, 16, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC*E - PC Plat - Carlson Gold - National E/E
Originally Posted by fairdinkumbrad View Post
I selfishly hope this allows velocity rewards bookings via the VA website to 'other' Canadian cities such as Winnipeg.
Important question...

Why the heck would you want to fly to winnipeg from Australia? you a sucker for punishment?
Old Dec 15, 16, 7:42 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

To be fair, VA is a very good airline, and it is in the process of upgrading their J product and installing pods on all longhaul aircrafts - and I'm quite happy about the AC-VA partnership. But why bash AC at every opportunity?
I think their retrofit of the 77W is complete. They also have the same seats for the A330 for transcon domestic routes, it's great.

Originally Posted by fairdinkumbrad View Post
I selfishly hope this allows velocity rewards bookings via the VA website to 'other' Canadian cities such as Winnipeg. At the moment, only Vancouver shows... This is even though Delta flies to Winnipeg and other cities...

Right now I can earn points on BNE-YWG by booking on the delta website and flying on VA from BNE-LAX and then DL from LAX-MSP-YWG, but I can't redeem this route using velocity points. I can only redeem as far as MSP.

Hopefully now I can redeem BNE-YVR-YWG, that would be awesome! It avoids the USA altogether!
But you would be flying AC, lol. If in Y, no big deal both products are similar.
Old Dec 15, 16, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, SPG PLAT
I think their retrofit of the 77W is complete. They also have the same seats for the A330 for transcon domestic routes, it's great.
Yes, I flew SYD-PER last year in J on the retrofitted A330 with very private lie-flat seats, personalized table setting (they lay out the flatware for you), wine that you don't need to choke down, and of course brilliant service. I don't think you can get better domestic service anywhere else in the world.

I've also flown J on their domestic 737 (2-2 business class recliner seats) on six segments in the last two years, and the service has been solid every time.

The VA domestic lounges will easily blow away most International MLLs... I would say they are close to the FRA MLL.

Finally, VA business class has a private airport terminal entrance in SYD and BNE with your own check-in area and dedicated security screening. Once you leave security, you enter directly into the lounge. It's as close as you can get to the FRA FCT experience without dropping $15,000 on a flight.
Old Dec 15, 16, 9:41 pm

Programs: Tinder
The biggest loser from this is Air NZ, which has always never been very happy with AC.
That's my take away too,
This comes on the heels of the decision to offer codeshares with Cathay on key S Asian destinations, basically giving the finger to TG and to a lesser extent OZ, BR and ANA. Thai has been trying to reposition itself as an alternative to get to Europe, using the Australian routes to feed into the BKK hub and then connecting to LHR, CDG etc. The AC move sends a not too subtle message as to what AC thinks of TG and its plans.
Old Dec 15, 16, 11:26 pm

Programs: AC50 MM
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Yes, I flew SYD-PER last year in J on the retrofitted A330 with very private lie-flat seats, personalized table setting (they lay out the flatware for you), wine that you don't need to choke down, and of course brilliant service. I don't think you can get better domestic service anywhere else in the world.

I've also flown J on their domestic 737 (2-2 business class recliner seats) on six segments in the last two years, and the service has been solid every time.

The VA domestic lounges will easily blow away most International MLLs... I would say they are close to the FRA MLL.

Finally, VA business class has a private airport terminal entrance in SYD and BNE with your own check-in area and dedicated security screening. Once you leave security, you enter directly into the lounge. It's as close as you can get to the FRA FCT experience without dropping $15,000 on a flight.
My recent experience BNE-PER on Qantas mirrors your descripion of VA. Newly retrofitted A330 with pods one way and a recline seat 737 on the return. Service was better than AC outbound and about the same on the return.

I think standards (esp in Y) are significantly higher in Australia that in Canada. My only negative experience on VA was when they had cancelled several flights from MEL last year due to fog whereas Qantas managed to fly most with minimal delay.
Old Dec 16, 16, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

FWIW, I mentioned "VA Domestic J" as being an excellent product.
Old Dec 16, 16, 12:28 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
The biggest loser from this is Air NZ, which has always never been very happy with AC.
Not really you do know that NZ does not operated some of the Tasman routes that VA/AC will code share on? e.g BNE-WLG.

NZ/VA operate an revenue share agreement on the Tasman, which sees them codeshare on each other services and with routes/flights split between the two.

Problem being with this for AC, is when there flights operate into SYD,BNE there isn't connections operated by NZ on some routes, as they are operated by VA.
Old Dec 16, 16, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
VA is outstanding, its going to embarrassing for an AC customer to connect to the VA J product.
AC might be a bit short sighted in this decision after flying VA the AC customer might skip AC and take the connection to LAX, to fly VA!
Old Dec 16, 16, 1:27 pm

Programs: Velocity Rewards (Virgin Australia) - Gold
Originally Posted by jazzsax View Post
Important question...

Why the heck would you want to fly to winnipeg from Australia? you a sucker for punishment?
ha you're not the first and wont be the last to ask me that!

Married a Winnipeg now... I actually live here in Manitoba now... so the comments about these flights are for my trips back to Brisbane!
Old Dec 16, 16, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Doesn't ANZ own part of V?

So they are protected, either way
Old Dec 16, 16, 6:56 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
Doesn't ANZ own part of V?

So they are protected, either way
They sold off their equity stake to the Chinese a few months ago.
Old Dec 16, 16, 8:34 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by flybit View Post
VA is outstanding, its going to embarrassing for an AC customer to connect to the VA J product.
AC might be a bit short sighted in this decision after flying VA the AC customer might skip AC and take the connection to LAX, to fly VA!
While VA might have an great J product on the domestic A330s thats limited to just an a couple of an SYD/MEL-PER services. Everything else have an pretty basic J seat on an 738.

On the Tasman VA has the worst J Product, and you would be pretty crazy to fly YVR-SYD-AKL on AC/VA when you can do YVR-AKL on NZ dirrect.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: