Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's (new) boarding process - 1Ks, get out of the way! :-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's (new) boarding process - 1Ks, get out of the way! :-)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by narvik
GS = good
1K = bad

Got it. Moving on to next thread...
I think you missed this - "It was bad enough with the other GSers".
Seems like there may be only one "good" GS.

I will agree w/ the OP that some 1Ks think they are gods in the pre-boarding area.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
We get the same crap at AA trust me. EXP's can't board with 1st unless you are in First so 90% of the time I'm in BG 2 which is essentially all the EXP's that didn't get upgraded. I usually stand back and watch the pre-board announcement and usually the elusive CK comes up from nowhere and just politely says "pardon me" as he passes all the CK wannabees lol
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think you missed this - "It was bad enough with the other GSers".
Seems like there may be only one "good" GS.

I will agree w/ the OP that some 1Ks think they are gods in the pre-boarding area.
Isnt the point that one never notices the "good" GS/1K?

They go about their business quietly, and do not feel the need to point out to everyone about how important they are because they are on the way to 150th sales meeting of the year to sell broomsticks or shower curtains for their boss.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Isnt the point that one never notices the "good" GS/1K?

They go about their business quietly, and do not feel the need to point out to everyone about how important they are because they are on the way to 150th sales meeting of the year to sell broomsticks or shower curtains for their boss.
Yeah - I still board at end of BG1. Watching UA pre-boarding is sort of like slowing down to look at a car wreck. I'm sure each boarding group has DYKWIAs and the non-DYKWIAs. Definitely can see where OP can run into DYKWIAs from both GS and 1K populations.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by halls120
On my recent IAD-FRA, I was lined up in the Group 1 line. When they announced boarding for people needing assistance, several wheelchairs couldn't get through. When they announced 1K boarding, all of those people blocking the wheelchairs boarded. Contrast that with GS, who IME always wait to the side.
spot on. Anytime I hear them announce GS, tthey seem to come from out of the corners to board.

Difference is that they rarely, if ever have to fight the kettles to board. Unlike 1K’s and lower, who how to box out, like they were in the lane in the NBA
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:29 am
Suspended

There is a lot of fashion advice in the OP!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There is a lot of fashion advice in the OP!
That way we can recognize him and make sure we stay out of his way
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
As 1K, unless I have a wheeled carry-on that requires overhead space, which is rare, I don't show up at the gate until late in the boarding process. So the new process doesn't really do much for me. We will all get there eventually and I like to spend as much time away from the metal tube if possible. I think in each elite tier, there will always be some who feel entitled. Life's too short, just have to get over it and move on.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Generally the new boarding process is fine IMO but at certain gates it just doesn’t work. At the international gates in SFO on a flight to SIN a couple weeks ago, a passenger and his wife planted themselves in front of the left hand boarding scanner and would not let a couple disabled passengers through, let alone GS. With the way the stanchions were set up, there was no way to walk around him and his baggage (let alone his carry-on luggage).
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFO_UGS
Hey, you 1Kers: Get out of my way! You're not that important. :-)
Make way for the King!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:44 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The "ers" after GS and 1K really irk me for some reason. You're a Global Services, not a Global Serviceser. I'm a 1K, not a 1Ker.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
Generally the new boarding process is fine IMO but at certain gates it just doesn’t work. At the international gates in SFO on a flight to SIN a couple weeks ago, a passenger and his wife planted themselves in front of the left hand boarding scanner and would not let a couple disabled passengers through, let alone GS. With the way the stanchions were set up, there was no way to walk around him and his baggage (let alone his carry-on luggage).
Why not just tap him on the shoulder and say Excuse me, Please let me pass.
???
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala

???
No, much better to think, 'fatso!' as you jostle past.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by chavala

???
I was in queue behind some other GS and didn’t want to be an uber DYKWIA and barge past them to tell the other guy to get out of the way.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I don't wear expensive suits, elegant slacks, tailored jackets, pricey shoes, or god-awful gold watches, bulbous rings, and chains. I don't talk loud while I'm on my (non-Apple) smart phone (when, in fact, I rarely use it in public)
How do you expect us lowly 1Ks to recognize our betters if you do not wear the uniform? Whenever I see someone in GS regalia, as described above, I bow to them and promptly step aside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.