Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's (new) boarding process - 1Ks, get out of the way! :-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services

[Apologies if this has been covered, but I couldn't find such a thread.]

RANT ON (tongue in cheek): Hey, you 1Kers: Get out of my way! You're not that important. :-)

I think United's new boarding process started in Sep 2018. I usually get to the gate right before boarding begins. On this particular trip (out of SFO), this tall, fat guy (sorry for fat-shaming [not] :-) nearly knocks me down as we exit the United Club and walk to the gate. We reach the gate and he moves to a different area and I move toward the actual podium where they'll start boarding. He sees me and wheels over to my space and plants his fat butt right in front of me. I shake my head, take two steps back, and wait. They begin the boarding process and this guy is a 1K! and then the creep tries to block me when they call GS. What the hell? When I pass him, he says: "Oh. You're Global Services?" I don't respond. I just moved past his fat butt. :-)

I'm an unassuming GSer. I don't wear expensive suits, elegant slacks, tailored jackets, pricey shoes, or god-awful gold watches, bulbous rings, and chains. I don't talk loud while I'm on my (non-Apple) smart phone (when, in fact, I rarely use it in public); I don't take that "important call" while I'm in queue and talk loud enough so everyone can enjoy my conversation; and I'm not always looking at my phone as though it's the most significant thing in my life. I stand off to the side and out of view as much as possible prior to boarding. I usually wear jeans, my backpack, and a cashmere sweater. :-) If I'm going East in the fall/winter, I'll carry a light jacket. No baseball cap, no Columbia/REI fleece top, no Gucci bag, no hoodie; no juggling a Starbucks, the carry-on, personal bag, and a phone as I board the flight.

While United's boarding process tends to be a bit of a circus and fun to watch, I'm used to it. Now, however, the 1Kers have this sense of entitlement. It was bad enough with the other GSers, but 1Ks, somehow, think they're special. It's great that United elevated them to pre-board status, but good grief, you're still behind GSers. Blocking me with your bag or your body (or your teenager[s]) won't get you on the airplane before me. A few flights ago, a band of 1Ks were complaining about families with childen under 2 boarding before them. Not happy? Find another airline.

RANT OFF. ;-)
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_UGS
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2019]

And you experience of one 1K makes you think we're all like that?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum

RANT ON (tongue in cheek): Hey, you 1Kers: Get out of my way! You're not that important. :-)

I think United's new boarding process started in Sep 2018. I usually get to the gate right before boarding begins. On this particular trip (out of SFO), this tall, fat guy (sorry for fat-shaming [not] :-) nearly knocks me down as we exit the United Club and walk to the gate. We reach the gate and he moves to a different area and I move toward the actual podium where they'll start boarding. He sees me and wheels over to my space and plants his fat butt right in front of me. I shake my head, take two steps back, and wait. They begin the boarding process and this guy is a 1K! and then the creep tries to block me when they call GS. What the hell? When I pass him, he says: "Oh. You're Global Services?" I don't respond. I just moved past his fat butt. :-)

I'm an unassuming GSer. I don't wear expensive suits, elegant slacks, tailored jackets, pricey shoes, or god-awful gold watches, bulbous rings, and chains. I don't talk loud while I'm on my (non-Apple) smart phone (when, in fact, I rarely use it in public); I don't take that "important call" while I'm in queue and talk loud enough so everyone can enjoy my conversation; and I'm not always looking at my phone as though it's the most significant thing in my life. I stand off to the side and out of view as much as possible prior to boarding. I usually wear jeans, my backpack, and a cashmere sweater. :-) If I'm going East in the fall/winter, I'll carry a light jacket. No baseball cap, no Columbia/REI fleece top, no Gucci bag, no hoodie; no juggling a Starbucks, the carry-on, personal bag, and a phone as I board the flight.

While United's boarding process tends to be a bit of a circus and fun to watch, I'm used to it. Now, however, the 1Kers have this sense of entitlement. It was bad enough with the other GSers, but 1Ks, somehow, think they're special. It's great that United elevated them to pre-board status, but good grief, you're still behind GSers. Blocking me with your bag or your body (or your teenager[s]) won't get you on the airplane before me. A few flights ago, a band of 1Ks were complaining about families with childen under 2 boarding before them. Not happy? Find another airline.

RANT OFF. ;-)
oh dear you were having a bad day, hope it all worked out, but I really doubt if you are an "unassuming GSer" however just stick a post-it-note on your forehead so the rest of us know.
BlueZebra, MTan, donjo and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The rant may fit better to this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...16-onward.html
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I'm an unassuming GSer.
Oh really?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2019]

And you experience of one 1K makes you think we're all like that?
I've experienced dozens. I stand to the side and wait till they call, but 100% of the time, someone 'blocking' the path to the gate scanner is a 1K.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:15 am

If boarding an airplane is that stressful maybe take the train next time.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I've experienced dozens. I stand to the side and wait till they call, but 100% of the time, someone 'blocking' the path to the gate scanner is a 1K.
On my recent IAD-FRA, I was lined up in the Group 1 line. When they announced boarding for people needing assistance, several wheelchairs couldn't get through. When they announced 1K boarding, all of those people blocking the wheelchairs boarded. Contrast that with GS, who IME always wait to the side.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:21 am

Anyone who thinks they're special because they ride a lot of public transport probably needs to get a life. Not sure about the "fat guy" in the story, but it definitely seems to apply to the OP.

Those who are actually special or successful are in their private jets, not standing in lines at grotty airports with you ;-)
BlueZebra, MTan, gmt4 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,

RANT OFF. ;-)
it has gotten so bad it is comical. I position myself (as a 1k) and do so in a way that the other preboards can pass without issue. I certainly don’t jockey with GSers. Many 1ks are over the top with their entitlement.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
This rant highlights the idiocy of “preboarding” a large group of elites rather than simply creating a new group for them, with a line as before. On any elite-Heavy flight there are enough 1K people to warrant a line vs a scrum.
gmt4 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I don’t think 1K is an issue. It is how United manage the boarding process is a problem.

Clearly, there are quite a number of 1Ks, so why not have a line just for the 1K at the hub airports and/or focus cities?

Also, I have begun to hear agents announcing GS and 1K together as one boarding group.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
GS = good
1K = bad

Got it. Moving on to next thread...
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Just by virtue of the OP posting this thread I'm glad the tall fat guy did what he did. (if indeed its an accurate un-embellished story to begin with)
bocastephen likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
This rant highlights the idiocy of “preboarding” a large group of elites rather than simply creating a new group for them, with a line as before. On any elite-Heavy flight there are enough 1K people to warrant a line vs a scrum.
+1
I know everyone wants to be special and everyone is a winner but this has got ridiculous. As a 1K I am quite frankly embarrassed by the antics of some of my fellow 1Kers.
UA should have known this was not going to go well - lots of 1K members in the hubs
and very small gate areas.
Pre-boarding needs a letter system on the BP for GS (B) and 1K (D)
Since you do not know who is going to fall into Disabled and military (A) and pax with kids 2 and under (C) until time of boarding it may assist the scrum
On second thoughts, send an etiquette note to 1K members.
greenpau likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.