Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Options SIN-ATL for injured 74 y.o. parent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Options SIN-ATL for injured 74 y.o. parent

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
In SFO, will have to switch terminals as the arrival is at the international terminal.
Curious statement, because SFO is really compact and there really isn't a difference between the International and Domestic terminals. They're adjacent to each other and are connected airside.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:10 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Curious statement, because SFO is really compact and there really isn't a difference between the International and Domestic terminals. They're adjacent to each other and are connected airside.
While all of the above is true in the abstract, OP's parents are 70+ and injured (to some uncertain degree), and the airside connection isn't pertinent if entering the US I-D at SFO.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:59 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
While all of the above is true in the abstract, OP's parents are 70+ and injured (to some uncertain degree), and the airside connection isn't pertinent if entering the US I-D at SFO.
And the distance involved in the "street-side" connection is not appreciably different. They will have to reclear security -- that is the only real difference.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like OP has a plan.

Theoretically, one can re-enter the air-side at the International Terminal in SFO for domestic flights. However, that is actually less convenient - you have to go upstairs and then downstairs again if the flights depart from Terminal 3. It is a lot easier to just follow the land-side connector to Terminal 3 and enter from the checkpoint right there.

Also, note about BR. Their east coast/midwest flights all arrive late and most of the connections require overnight stay at IAH/ORD/JFK. So, they are not good options. I think they do fly cargo into ATL. Maybe someone has seen their cargo planes there and think they fly there.

74 is really not old nowadays but the injury is the problem.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Thanks again everyone, including the folks who have sent PMs. Spent a few hours off and on this morning talking them through options and trying to get them in at least a somewhat reasonable place.

First - health update. Dad is in less pain (though this sounded very relative) and can move about with a walker. Main issues remain being seated in certain positions, getting in/out of vehicles/seats, and standing for more than a few minutes (even with the walker). The mention of an airline possibly stopping them from flying was surprisingly enough to get them back to the doctor. Still refused the MRI but apparently have a note saying he is cleared to fly TPAC but needs accommodations. I still haven't figured out exactly how the injury was diagnosed aside from "there were no breaks"...but at least they've been back to the doctor, I guess.

Flights were booked on a Hilton Amex. Not sure which level but it doesn't appear that any of them provides any coverage for something like this. Without going into too many details, I could only get a surface idea of their home/health insurance policies but it was enough that I'm 90% confident those don't have any coverage either.

I could not talk them out of swapping their original UA flights for something else that would provide affordable PE or J seating. UA quoted ~$2.5k each for the upgrade which they declined but also said to check at the airport for DOD offers. I wish they would have been amenable to any of the many suggestions you all made here or the ones I would have been able to swing with my own money/points, but alas...

UA reservations and accessibility line have been quite helpful - they had already contacted them but I checked their reservations and called again just to be sure. I think the agent I got is used to kids trying to make sure their parents will be okay. He has been moved to an aisle E+ for SIN-SFO, and regular-Y aisle for SFO-ATL, both in rows with moveable armrests, and mom is seated next to him on both flights. Wheelchair assist confirmed and UA says this means they will basically have someone to assist starting at check-in at SIN, plane-to-plane during the SFO connection, and out to baggage claim at ATL. I asked about the short connection at SFO and UA basically said it meets MCT and with the disability assist they should be fine.

The last things I'm trying to do are mostly on the ground in SIN.
- They have said they will book a car service to get to the airport. I will make sure they do (otherwise will book Blacklane or something for them).
- Researching meet & greet services at SIN to help them with luggage from curb to check-in. Have gotten a few suggestions already. Though they are now saying they will just reduce to a single bag somehow. Obviously dad will be carrying nothing so anything they have will be on mom + whatever help I can convince them to accept.
- It looks like I can buy a LoungeBuddy pass to the "SATS Premier Lounge" in T2. Would this be the right lounge to send them to for their SIN-SFO UA flight? I haven't gotten a straight answer from UA on whether wheelchair service will take them from check-in to lounge and lounge to gate since they're not receiving lounge access via UA in any form.

Again cannot thank you all enough for the support and advice. Past few days have been a little frantic, but this seem much more stable since the initial "dad fell, can't move, not sure about flight back" text we got one morning...
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
Thanks again everyone, including the folks who have sent PMs. Spent a few hours off and on this morning talking them through options and trying to get them in at least a somewhat reasonable place.

First - health update. Dad is in less pain (though this sounded very relative) and can move about with a walker. Main issues remain being seated in certain positions, getting in/out of vehicles/seats, and standing for more than a few minutes (even with the walker). The mention of an airline possibly stopping them from flying was surprisingly enough to get them back to the doctor. Still refused the MRI but apparently have a note saying he is cleared to fly TPAC but needs accommodations. I still haven't figured out exactly how the injury was diagnosed aside from "there were no breaks"...but at least they've been back to the doctor, I guess.

Flights were booked on a Hilton Amex. Not sure which level but it doesn't appear that any of them provides any coverage for something like this. Without going into too many details, I could only get a surface idea of their home/health insurance policies but it was enough that I'm 90% confident those don't have any coverage either.

I could not talk them out of swapping their original UA flights for something else that would provide affordable PE or J seating. UA quoted ~$2.5k each for the upgrade which they declined but also said to check at the airport for DOD offers. I wish they would have been amenable to any of the many suggestions you all made here or the ones I would have been able to swing with my own money/points, but alas...

UA reservations and accessibility line have been quite helpful - they had already contacted them but I checked their reservations and called again just to be sure. I think the agent I got is used to kids trying to make sure their parents will be okay. He has been moved to an aisle E+ for SIN-SFO, and regular-Y aisle for SFO-ATL, both in rows with moveable armrests, and mom is seated next to him on both flights. Wheelchair assist confirmed and UA says this means they will basically have someone to assist starting at check-in at SIN, plane-to-plane during the SFO connection, and out to baggage claim at ATL. I asked about the short connection at SFO and UA basically said it meets MCT and with the disability assist they should be fine.

The last things I'm trying to do are mostly on the ground in SIN.
- They have said they will book a car service to get to the airport. I will make sure they do (otherwise will book Blacklane or something for them).
- Researching meet & greet services at SIN to help them with luggage from curb to check-in. Have gotten a few suggestions already. Though they are now saying they will just reduce to a single bag somehow. Obviously dad will be carrying nothing so anything they have will be on mom + whatever help I can convince them to accept.
- It looks like I can buy a LoungeBuddy pass to the "SATS Premier Lounge" in T2. Would this be the right lounge to send them to for their SIN-SFO UA flight? I haven't gotten a straight answer from UA on whether wheelchair service will take them from check-in to lounge and lounge to gate since they're not receiving lounge access via UA in any form.

Again cannot thank you all enough for the support and advice. Past few days have been a little frantic, but this seem much more stable since the initial "dad fell, can't move, not sure about flight back" text we got one morning...
Good to hear that affairs are seemingly progressing as best as can be expected in their circumstances. From personal experiences in Changi, wheelchair service will take them from check-in to any lounge they request and then pick them up in enough time to make flight. Ditto with SFO if they are requesting lounge access. But, importantly, you need to relax! You have done everything possible to make your parents' trip comfortable and hopefully uneventful.
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Thank you all again for your advice, research, and general support. Happy to report that both parents are safely back home (or at least resting at our house before driving back up to theirs).

They ended up in E+ for SIN-SFO and were moved further forward in the cabin at the gate (still not sure why - did not have a bulkhead or an empty seat next to them or anything like that). Apparently at Changi, UA had a special assistance lounge they were able to wait in, so did not use the lounge passes I bought from Lounge Buddy.

Regular coach seats for SFO-ATL but they left an empty middle for them. Wheelchair service throughout - first time theyve ever had to use it and they seemed very appreciative/impressed with the service. It did seem like that made the difference in them being able to make their connection in SFO.

Dad actually seems in better shape than it originally sounded (and certainly has just had a few days to heal), but definitely not what anyone would consider able bodied. Still working to get him to a doctor here for the MRI but will be easier now that we can just take them there ourselves.

All things considered they seem in good spirits. Their biggest complaint coming off the plane was UA not providing a meal on the TCON redeye...

I have to say, I was very impressed with UA's service and accommodation throughout, from providing seating options to setting up ground services and generally answering questions from people who haven't had to deal with stuff like this before. I was also able to get a gate pass from the supervisor at the UA check in desk this morning, so was able to meet them at the gate. Aside from the general mess that is ATL North Terminal check in it was about as good of an outcome as could have happened.

I guess for posterity for anyone who finds this thread in the future I would capture a few things:
- Call the Accessibility line mentioned upthread as soon as you can. To the extent that is reasonable they really will do what they can to help. They'll also very clearly explain what is NOT possible, or what is possible but only with the right amount of money.
- Tip and be nice to your wheelchair assist people. Seems obvious but a) my parents didn't know they were supposed to do this and b) I think they probably deal with some less than pleasant people frequently so it can make a difference when they know how to jump lines, etc.
- Gate passes are still a thing! I sort of asked on a whim since I got to the airport early, but after asking my parents' age (mid-70s) and seeing that one had wheelchair assist, it was just a few taps on the keyboard and an ID check and I was on my way.
- If you're a 73 year-old person with already weak joints, try to avoid tripping and falling out of a bus in Kuala Lumpur to begin with.

Again, thanks all for being my virtual support group this past week, if nothing else. Relieved that they are back home where we can make sure they're getting the care they need going forward.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Glad they are home. And thank you for the updates on what UA was able to do for them.
gooselee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.