Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Options SIN-ATL for injured 74 y.o. parent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Options SIN-ATL for injured 74 y.o. parent

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by gooselee
Flights are UA28 & UA1152.

I don't know what I define as "reasonable" either. Basically I can afford to spend maybe a couple thousand dollars to help them out if it makes sense, but I'm not in a position to just dump $5k for new J tickets if they aren't necessary. And of course don't want to spend unnecessarily (e.g., understanding that wheelchair service is sufficient and don't need the concierge service).

No travel insurance so all of this is out of pocket (or miles/points accounts).

Adding EVA to my list of flight options to check when I get home tonight. (So, as a reminder to myself, I'm looking at EVA PE via IAH SQ PE via SFO or JFK upgrading within existing UA flights). I'm getting the feeling that the 2-stop option above won't be a good idea. Although it's lay flats, the added connection (and thus added opportunity for misconnect) isn't worth it. I don't get the sense that he needs to lay down for the flight...more that he just needs to keep moving when he can, which a E+ or PE would facilitate well.

My goal is to have a few viable options in hand and then call them tonight to try to figure out what makes the most sense.

Thanks again! I have some homework to do.
Is it essential they are seated together? At least for the long flight the business seat for your father would probably make a big difference.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:22 pm

Better to not transit in the USA due to having to clear US immigration which can be horrendously long and then having to go to another terminal(maybe) and go through security yet again.
In SFO, will have to switch terminals as the arrival is at the international terminal.

Much better to fly direct into Atlanta.

U have a decent amount of Amex and Chase points so u can probably put them both into PE or Biz.
Points can always be earned back, especially in the USA.

Recommend Eva or Asiana.
They fly direct into ATL.

Asiana doesnt have PE though but their Economy seats have lots of legroom.

ANA is another carrier but not sure about them.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Is it essential they are seated together? At least for the long flight the business seat for your father would probably make a big difference.
Maybe not essential, but highly, highly preferable for a variety of reasons. My father is one of those who can be difficult even when physically fit, and my mother tends to him. Basically, if they're in different cabins, he will be asking the FAs to go back to her for something or another for the whole flight, or he'll try to go back on his own without help.

And just as as on, I also wouldn't feel right leaving mom in the back - if he really must fly in business, we'll make it happen for both of them.

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Better to not transit in the USA due to having to clear US immigration which can be horrendously long and then having to go to another terminal(maybe) and go through security yet again.
In SFO, will have to switch terminals as the arrival is at the international terminal.

Much better to fly direct into Atlanta.

U have a decent amount of Amex and Chase points so u can probably put them both into PE or Biz.
Points can always be earned back, especially in the USA.

Recommend Eva or Asiana.
They fly direct into ATL.

Asiana doesnt have PE though but their Economy seats have lots of legroom.

ANA is another carrier but not sure about them.
I'm not aware of any nonstop SIN-ATL flights. I've also never seen a BR or OZ plane in ATL.

Am I missing something? Would definitely pay a premium if there is a nonstop flight. Ideal routing I've used before is DL via NRT, but that route appears either sold out or prohibitively priced next week.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Working with them now. They are reluctant to abandon their existing UA ticket and have already moved to E+ for the TPAC, so unless I'm able to dig up a very favorable PE/J ticket somehow, it looks like our focus will shift to making sure they're securing the right ground services. If it tells you guys anything about their personality, they are still saying they will take the bus to Changi...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 6, 2018 at 10:01 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. While I understand that they do not have travel insurance, has anyone done a thorough inventory of what they do have? Might their medical insurance have a medical evacuation rider? Any credit cards? Even some homeowners policies have this for whatever reason. This is not to suggest an air ambulance, but it might cover F/J seating and even a medical attendant if need be.

2. If an MRI has been recommended and declined, do not be so certain that your father will receive medical clearance. Whatever you arrange should be done in consultation with his medical team in SIN and his team back here in the US. Carriers are particularly careful TPAC for the obvious reason that medical diversions can be fairly pointless in some regions.

You may actually find some assistance from a tough-talking doc who can make the point that he's not getting clearance without the tests that imaging, tests and exams which are felt to be necessary.
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:02 pm

No nonstop flights but better to transit in Asia like ICN/NRT than anywhere in the US.

Yea u are right, thought BR/OZ would have a flight to ATL
Sorry about that

I'm not aware of any nonstop SIN-ATL flights. I've also never seen a BR or OZ plane in ATL.

Am I missing something? Would definitely pay a premium if there is a nonstop flight. Ideal routing I've used before is DL via NRT, but that route appears either sold out or prohibitively priced next week.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Working with them now. They are reluctant to abandon their existing UA ticket and have already moved to E+ for the TPAC, so unless I'm able to dig up a very favorable PE/J ticket somehow, it looks like our focus will shift to making sure they're securing the right ground services. If it tells you guys anything about their personality, they are still saying they will take the bus to Changi...
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Often1
1. While I understand that they do not have travel insurance, has anyone done a thorough inventory of what they do have? Might their medical insurance have a medical evacuation rider? Any credit cards? Even some homeowners policies have this for whatever reason. This is not to suggest an air ambulance, but it might cover F/J seating and even a medical attendant if need be.

2. If an MRI has been recommended and declined, do not be so certain that your father will receive medical clearance. Whatever you arrange should be done in consultation with his medical team in SIN and his team back here in the US. Carriers are particularly careful TPAC for the obvious reason that medical diversions can be fairly pointless in some regions.

You may actually find some assistance from a tough-talking doc who can make the point that he's not getting clearance without the tests that imaging, tests and exams which are felt to be necessary.
Excellent points on both. I will try to investigate what kind of coverage they might have. I know their homeowners and medical insurance policies here are likely to just be the cheapest they got away with, but will try to look anyway and I didn't even think of the CC coverage. Im sure they used some type of travel reward card to pay for their tickets.

Getting my dad to voluntarily get any sort of reasonable medical care has been a struggle for years. I 100% agree with you and my battle is conveying that same understanding to him from however many miles away...
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I had to travel with a fractured hip for a 6-month spell. couple of things I learned:
  • I would not want to travel in e+ for more than an hour or 2. It is not the legroom, it is just the seat is so narrow and range of motion limited that all of your muscles stiffen and for someone that does not have atrophy with an injury you wouldn't understand how painful that is after a few hours. Even a regular domestic F seat felt very uncomfortable unless there was considerable motion.
  • Get some lounge passes for your folks, don't be cheap. this is going to be an exhausting trip for them and sitting in wheelchairs for an extra hour in the gate area isn't going to help because they won't have access to food without begging/pleading etc. At least in the lounge they will have better care/attention. It makes a big difference.
  • I hope one or both of them has a cane or crutches for use in flight. Otherwise getting around will be impossible.
  • It's not me or my $, but with my injury I wouldn't be able to to the trip from SIN in UA's E+. By the 3rd hour the pain would be too much.
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If you decide to stay with UA, you should definitively contact the UA Accessibility (Disability) Desk 1-800-228-2744
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
I found SQ flights via HKG/SFO in J for ~98k miles each. Would require throwing away the current UA tickets, but that appeared to be the best option if he really needs a lay flat. IIRC, UA's E+ is slightly better WRT seat pitch than DL's "Comfort Plus", and if all their bags are checked he will have the leg/foot room to stretch while seated and can of course stand when possible.
If you're looking for cheap award availability and your parents are willing to depart late on 12/10 there are 2+ LH J awards available for SIN-FRA (or MUC)-JFK (or IAD/ORD/BOS or even CLT/MCO which was the closest I could get to ATL) for 90k miles each, which at least lets them avoid the domestic transcon. However you'll still need a separate ticket for the domestic leg, but it would probably be easier to meet/accompany them somewhere on the east coast.

Unfortunately there's no availability on LH FRA-ATL, but if you're willing to chance separate tickets and minimize the number of connections DL has O space on both FRA- and MUC-ATL on 12/11 as well, which I think is the skyteam award bucket but am not entirely sure there.
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:22 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
I transited SFO 2 weeks ago from int to domestic, no queues at all. everything done in 30min incl immigration. (EU passport + visa)
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all for the continuing ideas. Parents are a struggle sometimes. They spent most of yesterday "resting" and trying to get to/from lunch, it sounds like, but are convinced they will be fine with E+ and wheelchair. I am trying to use a bit of fear that UA may not let someone with a recent injury fly long-haul without a note to encourage them to visit a doctor/hospital again this weekend.

And thank you truncated for the find a day earlier on LH. If I can convince them to leave Monday, it looks like I may be able to book via Aeroplan and get them all the way to CHA or something that we could drive the rest of the way.

Waiting for them to get back to their morning to first push for a dr. visit and then talk about more flight options. Thank you all again - I couldn't have figured all this out on my own without FT!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Thanks all for the continuing ideas. Parents are a struggle sometimes. They spent most of yesterday "resting" and trying to get to/from lunch, it sounds like, but are convinced they will be fine with E+ and wheelchair. I am trying to use a bit of fear that UA may not let someone with a recent injury fly long-haul without a note to encourage them to visit a doctor/hospital again this weekend.

And thank you truncated for the find a day earlier on LH. If I can convince them to leave Monday, it looks like I may be able to book via Aeroplan and get them all the way to CHA or something that we could drive the rest of the way.

Waiting for them to get back to their morning to first push for a dr. visit and then talk about more flight options. Thank you all again - I couldn't have figured all this out on my own without FT!
Have you considered the option SIN-IST-ATL with TK? I have. from my personal experiences as an elderly pax with mobility issues, been very well treated by TK staff both on ground as well as in the air. I highly recommend TK for their consideration of mobility-challenged pax
I have not checked availability as I am currently on TPAC flight. Best luck to you and your parents.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
If they were considering taking a cruise ship instead of the flight, it seems time is not of the essence (and maybe extra expenses either). Have you considered simply delaying the return flight a bit to give your dad more time to recuperate?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cagcag
Have you considered the option SIN-IST-ATL with TK? I have. from my personal experiences as an elderly pax with mobility issues, been very well treated by TK staff both on ground as well as in the air. I highly recommend TK for their consideration of mobility-challenged pax
I have not checked availability as I am currently on TPAC flight. Best luck to you and your parents.
Thank you!. TK came up in a search but cost is high and the layover in IST is quite long. Also, TK flights didn't seem to be coming up in any award searches. Good to know about the service though for future reference.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
If they were considering taking a cruise ship instead of the flight, it seems time is not of the essence (and maybe extra expenses either). Have you considered simply delaying the return flight a bit to give your dad more time to recuperate?
Expense is a consideration. They found rather quickly that cruising back was not a viable option. I think time is not of the essence in their minds, but it is for the rest of the family as we suspect he is not seeking out the medical attention he actually needs and the family support structure there is not as good as back in the US. That said, I have been looking at flight options all through next week but they're pricing relatively the same.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:04 pm

Thanks for this. I appreciate lounges as much as the next guy, but they will not be a priority for my parents.

Was the Meet & Greet service you got just something arranged via special services due to your disability, or was that a purchased service you added on?

UA graciously moved them into E+ for the TPAC flight, though they wouldn't put them in a bulkhead (despite seats showing available). Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, of course.

I think my concern now is mostly about making sure they have the right services around SIN and SFO. It sounds like wheelchair service alone might be enough. After trading a couple emails it doesn't sound like he is completely incapable of movement. Just that he cannot sit in a single position with restricted leg movement (to stretch/adjust) for longer than an hour or so otherwise things become painful, and certainly cannot stand for more than a few minutes at a time. He is walking now with a walker, but of course very slow when doing so and can only go short distances.

I found SQ flights via HKG/SFO in J for ~98k miles each. Would require throwing away the current UA tickets, but that appeared to be the best option if he really needs a lay flat. IIRC, UA's E+ is slightly better WRT seat pitch than DL's "Comfort Plus", and if all their bags are checked he will have the leg/foot room to stretch while seated and can of course stand when possible.

So...currently solution appears to be using E+ with wheelchair service. I probably thought way too hard about this for what will end up being a pretty simple solution but, well, they're my parents.
Meet and Greet was via UA due to disability. You are most welcome. As for bulkhead seats I told the agent that I need to stretch my body and the bulkhead is easier. Call again and ask for the bulkhead, do so again at 5T- 72, 48 and 24 hours and also via Twitter. Purchase United Chase Passes on EBAY for your parents.
gooselee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.