FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Options SIN-ATL for injured 74 y.o. parent
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:18 pm
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Often1
1. While I understand that they do not have travel insurance, has anyone done a thorough inventory of what they do have? Might their medical insurance have a medical evacuation rider? Any credit cards? Even some homeowners policies have this for whatever reason. This is not to suggest an air ambulance, but it might cover F/J seating and even a medical attendant if need be.

2. If an MRI has been recommended and declined, do not be so certain that your father will receive medical clearance. Whatever you arrange should be done in consultation with his medical team in SIN and his team back here in the US. Carriers are particularly careful TPAC for the obvious reason that medical diversions can be fairly pointless in some regions.

You may actually find some assistance from a tough-talking doc who can make the point that he's not getting clearance without the tests that imaging, tests and exams which are felt to be necessary.
Excellent points on both. I will try to investigate what kind of coverage they might have. I know their homeowners and medical insurance policies here are likely to just be the cheapest they got away with, but will try to look anyway and I didn't even think of the CC coverage. Im sure they used some type of travel reward card to pay for their tickets.

Getting my dad to voluntarily get any sort of reasonable medical care has been a struggle for years. I 100% agree with you and my battle is conveying that same understanding to him from however many miles away...