Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

If you could design United's premium cabin food-- what would the menu be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you could design United's premium cabin food-- what would the menu be?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Respectfully, it never was fine dining before 9/11. Airline food has always been, at best, mediocre. There's a reason why it has been a subject of jokes and ire since I can remember.
We can agree to disagree - but having Dom Perignon and carved at your seat Chateaubriand is certainly a massive step up from post 9/11
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I miss traditional items. The salads are so bland and ugly. Remember pre-Polaris those nice big salad bowls with crutons and choice of dressings? Now its really no different than domestic. I actually miss the old sUA breakfast of eggs potatoes and sausage.

It seems like domestically airlines are going with the most basic tasteless options. What used to be a real breakfast is now egg whites and bread.

International business menu almost never changes.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
We can agree to disagree - but having Dom Perignon and carved at your seat Chateaubriand is certainly a massive step up from post 9/11
How do you define fine dining? To me, I don't care what is the perceived or actual cost of the food- if its bland, over cooked, or otherwise sucks- why bother. As for the potables... sure, some of the labels had panache, but overall I'd still prefer to drink them on the ground.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by catocony
If they start putting Indian food on flights, they are going to have to deal with passengers upset with smell, or the unhappy person who can't stomach it
Isn't that a bit of a stretch? SQ probably offers multiple Indian dishes on every flight, and I see zero complaints about food smells on their aircraft. Also, keep in mind that human beings' sense of smell and taste are diminished at cruising altitudes, making this even less likely an issue.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Singapore is an Asian airline so I wouldn't expect many complaints since the majority of their passengers are Asian. United is a US airline and has mostly Western passengers, particularly on US domestic flights. Non-Asians are not used to the smell; it really stands out.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Singapore is an Asian airline so I wouldn't expect many complaints since the majority of their passengers are Asian. United is a US airline and has mostly Western passengers, particularly on US domestic flights. Non-Asians are not used to the smell; it really stands out.
United has served Indian dishes for years now, and it’s only in this thread have complaints about the “smell” are hysterically bantered about. We’re not talking about a wholesale switchover to all Indian food (hardly all of which smells pungently) - just a choice (1 meat and be veggie) as part of an array of choices. I get it that some people don’t like Indian food - that’s fine, but no reason to preclude others from choices they’d like. I don’t like Brussels sprouts (taste or smell) - but others might like it. Mashed potatoes and leathery steak will still be available
Miggles likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 19, 2018 at 11:38 am
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Continited
I’d prefer menus that were diverse, modern, and “clean”, keeping in mind the dietary trends of today... simply grilled meats, healthy fats (bring on the guacamole!), limited carbs and grains, plenty of fresh fruits, very light on the sauces... things that are easy to execute and don’t make me feel like I’ve gained 5 lbs afterward.
Agreed. Here's a simple lunch that impressed me -- in content, taste, and presentation -- in J on a 50-minute LX CS100 flight (BRU-ZRH) last year. It comprised
  • a small quiche;
  • a small crab salad;
  • a small berry panna cotta;
followed by an individual tub of Mövenpick Crème Brulée ice cream and the customary LX chocolate bar.

Relatedly, as a good example of what I meant, a few posts back, by "Build some customer excitement over menus," just compare this LX thread with the UA forum's Polaris and transcon in-flight food discussions!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

United has served Indian dishes for years now, and it’s only in this thread have complaints about the “smell” are hysterically bantered about. We’re not talking about a wholesale switchover to all Indian food (hardly all of which smells pungently) - just a choice (1 meat and be veggie) as part of an array of choices. I get it that some people don’t like Indian food - that’s fine, but no reason to preclude others from choices they’d like. I don’t like Brussels sprouts (taste or smell) - but others might like it. Mashed potatoes and leathery steak will still be available
Indian was a special meal option even in Donestic UA Y as far back as 1995, when I first had it. It also is easily tailored for vegan as well as vegetarian. Likely to be popular to/from SIN, India, LHR, HKG and domestically in and out of SF, EWR at a minimum.

It was offered as a standard choice in Y on my last flights SFO-AKL and IAH-MUC, and Dom F ORD-SMF of all things. No doubt there is some market analysis going into these offerings.

Having foods prepared by kitchens familiar with the nuances of regional and INTL cuisine is a must, however. Whatever the choices are.

It would seem to me featuring a dish of the INTL station would be good similar to how they used to be pretty solid on the NRT box meal. Maybe still are?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I think UA does a good job with putting together a food menu (no comment on alcohol because I don't drink that much onboard) but the execution sometimes leaves much to be desired.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I really miss the soup appetizer and the pasta option Continental used to have. Come to think about it, I miss everything about them
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
What I really wish United would do is offer pre-departure meal selection.

They already do
On the last UAL trans-Pacific aeroplane I was on I was asked to select my main meal preferences AND breakfast choice before the door had even closed.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Some things (like actual steak) aren't meant for airplanes.

I do wish they'd do better (and they CAN) with things that make sense: cold salads (assorted salads). And some items, like beef bourginon or chicken cacciatore, that are braised in the preparation are ideal to be reheated in airplane ovens because they come in the liquid.

of course, the new UA preplated stuff won't work there, but that's what I'd like.

LY actually does this pretty well (their breakfasts out of TLV are great, esp the salad) and they often have braised entrees, which while not "luxurious" can be tasty.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
I'd be happy if they just brought back the chicken tamale dish. That was one of the more inventive and better tasting inflight meals I've ever had.

As much as I love the asian chicken soup, the quality of the chicken in there leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:33 pm

Singapore is an Asian airline so I wouldn't expect many complaints since the majority of their passengers are Asian.
Singapore serves tons of satisfied, western customers. And even if western customers are in the minority, how many of them are complaining about the smell of food? This is a total non-issue. United should most definitely consider that other cuisines out there, particularly those in the eastern hemisphere provide more appealing taste profiles at 39000 feet than that tired, old, over-bake pasta.
chavala likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
For Int'l Business, if UA would do something even remotely close to SQ's Book-the-Cook, I think a lot of complaints would dissipate.

OK, so maybe the complaints would go down a little. But UA has enough volume that this is doable. Then invest in a little extra FA training on food service (such as, read/have a list of the menu items, a list of the wines that goes beyond red or white, etc. It really should not be that difficult.

Originally Posted by milepig
Sort of a cult. (IN-N-OUT) Burgers OK. fries suck.
Actually, I'm the opposite, I prefer the fries, not the burgers. To each his own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.