FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   If you could design United's premium cabin food-- what would the menu be? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1941204-if-you-could-design-uniteds-premium-cabin-food-what-would-menu.html)

jp12687 Nov 18, 2018 1:26 pm

If you could design United's premium cabin food-- what would the menu be?

So if you could design their menu what would be on it?

I would simplify it-- I hate their weird cold duck or fish "appetizer" I'd get rid of that and make the salad something simple like a Cesar salad. I feel like this is one area they just go too "fancy" and it just doesn't work.

I would get rid of the steak-- they just don't do it well. I'd replace it with a nice comfort food option like pasta and meatballs.

I would also only have mushrooms in a max of 1 entree option-- often mushrooms are in 2-3 of the choices and I don't eat mushrooms or fish-- so this often leaves me in a bit of a fight with the FA over "my second choice"

oh and I'd be able to pre-order from a larger selection of food.

\rant after a 16 hour flight with meh food

IAH-OIL-TRASH Nov 18, 2018 1:36 pm

I’m in London at least yearly and every time I eat Indian (Masala Zone on my dime, Amaya on company’s), I wish UA would contract with this restaurant group to provide at least one of the lunch and dinner choices. The food is well-done and seems to me to be amenable to airline conditions. Gimme a samosa/chickpea appetizer and I’d be instantly content the rest of the flight. They could provide meat and vegetarian dishes...

First photo is a thali (street food) assortment and 2nd is afore-mentioned samosa and chickpeas. Makes me want to run to the airport and fly to London...

As for "Steaks on a Plane" - Americans often are not too adventurous, so a steak (no matter how consistently, and known-to-be poorly, done), will always be a frerquent option. https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...80ef40d92.jpeghttps://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6172bc36c.jpeg

jp12687 Nov 18, 2018 1:37 pm

I would also have the Spicy Chicken Noodles they serve on EWR-HKG

zrs70 Nov 18, 2018 1:51 pm

I would ensure there is a veggie option on all flights, available to vegetarians regardless of status.

spin88 Nov 18, 2018 2:16 pm

(1) a real large salad, with real "premium" things like Olives, artichokes, feta cheese, hearts of palm, dried or fresh berries, perhaps asparagus or another vegetable (I know would upset the ghost of Smisik) and fresh good bread. E.g. was just on SAS and their bread on inter-European flights was 5x better than the crap that UA serves. Good solid, with fresh butter. And oh, no chopped head or romaine lettuces, use real leafy greens.

(2) focus on dishes that (since UA is going to pre-plating) that when they re head don't throw off liquid. Sauces are good, as are spices. Interesting pasta or as others have said indian foods (chicken or lamb with a korma or similar sauce) work well, or another meat with a sauce that adds flavor (e.g. I recently had very good lamb with a sauce on DL). UA does not have a brand for the expensive quality ingredients (caviar, smoked salmon, lobster) so ought to just focus on having a large enough size along with flavors that taste good without adding tons of salt, in a high altitude environment.

(3) then offer fruit and cheese.

(4) then offer something other than ice cream.....

catocony Nov 18, 2018 2:43 pm

If they start putting Indian food on flights, they are going to have to deal with passengers upset with smell, or the unhappy person who can't stomach it who has a choice of it or whatever is in economy if they're the last to order. The same would go for some other Asian fare as well.

In a perfect world all airlines would do the same as Austrian - 3-4 entree options, lots of side options, 3 soups, 8 appetizers, a half dozen desserts. Short of that, keep it simple. Better quality beef - I'm sick of short ribs - and meats that you can put sauces and spices on by request but can be served fairly plain for people who don't like the sauce/spice.

Jimmie Jet Nov 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Hamburgers, simple hamburgers. It’s airplane food kinda like hospital food

milepig Nov 18, 2018 2:57 pm

I’d be happy with Stouffer’s French Bread pizzas. I think they’d toast up perfectly.

HNLbasedFlyer Nov 18, 2018 3:01 pm

If it were me, I'd stick with US dining options:

Cheeseburgers, Sub Sandwiches, Chicken sandwiches, pizza, pasta, hot dogs, various rice dishes - you can gourmet it up with Guacamole, bacon, various sides, etc....

If they could pull that off I might actually look forward to airline food.

SFO28L Nov 18, 2018 3:11 pm

United can certainly improve the quality of the food if they choose to do so, but if they serve hot dogs in first/business people who expect fine dining would object. Basically picky eaters want the rest of us to get bland American food to accommodate them.

HNLbasedFlyer Nov 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by SFO28L (Post 30443203)
but if they serve hot dogs in first/business people who expect fine dining would object.

There hasn't been "fine dining" on US air carriers in nearly 20 years - an entire generation of fliers post 9/11 are used to mediocre food.

I'd also argue my Singapore flight in biz and Eva in Biz earlier this certainly wasn't "fine dining", I'd rather describe it as, good for airline food. Much like going to a Mexican restaurant on Oahu - none are great, and at best, you get - its good Mexican for Hawaii.

devdas Nov 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 30442947)
First photo is a thali (street food) assortment and 2nd is afore-mentioned samosa and chickpeas. Makes me want to run to the airport and fly to London...

A thali is a preplated meal with multiple dishes (technically, it's the plattter on which the meal is served). It's not limited to street food.

PsiFighter37 Nov 18, 2018 3:24 pm

I'd actually ask for less food. There is way too much food served IMO; in particular, I think the salad should be downsized. I would also like there to be some variety in the breakfast omelet that is served on arrival (especially on TATL flights).

catocony Nov 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by SFO28L (Post 30443203)
Basically picky eaters want the rest of us to get bland American food to accommodate them.

You can always put optional sauces/spices on something to make it to your taste. For those of us with sensitive stomachs - we're not just picky, many of us can easily get sick with a lot of spice or unfamiliar foods - it's really hard to remove spices and sauces from something. Not to mention people with allergies to certain foods. Plain is good on aircraft, unless you like sitting next to a guy who rapidly gets very gassy from something in the food or starts barfing up curry halfway over the Atlantic.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Nov 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by devdas (Post 30443232)
A thali is a preplated meal with multiple dishes (technically, it's the plattter on which the meal is served). It's not limited to street food.

Yes, you are correct, it is a thali, but the food that is plated in the photo is Masala Zone's take on street food. And delicious...