Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

If you could design United's premium cabin food-- what would the menu be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you could design United's premium cabin food-- what would the menu be?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreeing with many posts above: Introduce PRE-ORDER MEAL options!

Currently, on Polaris flights I am happy with the protein appetizers (smoked salmon, chicken, duck breast, prosciutto) and the main dishes mostly.
Not crazy about the sweetish salads with dried fruits, eternal feta cheese etc.
Totally unhappy with the cheese selection.
Okaish with desserts, glad there is something next to the ice cream, which was the only option pre-Polaris.

Bottom line: "De gustibus non disputandum" !
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
So it sounds like everyone essentially just want what Continental had back??

Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by grapegrower
Vegemite and cheese on a fresh bread roll and a snag sanga with tomato sauce (hold the grllled onions).
Really? Hold the grilled onions next you will want them placed under the snag....
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by gene2632
Great idea. I have spent way too much time in hospitals and on United flights and in both cases the food is pretty terrible. Lets just make it simple and taste decent. Maybe make a deal with In and Out?
Outstanding idea, brother!

I would trade the finest international first meal that I've ever had, even including some outstanding caviar services, for an IN-N-OUT Double-Double, Animal Fries, and a Vanilla milkshake.

Nothing satisfies like IN-N-OUT!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Originally Posted by walter82
Really? Hold the grilled onions next you will want them placed under the snag....
This was more of a concern for pax olfactory sensitivities rather than crew slippage safety.

Last edited by grapegrower; Nov 18, 2018 at 11:40 pm Reason: spello
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Supplied by bunnings........ supporting a different charity every flight
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Outstanding idea, brother!

I would trade the finest international first meal that I've ever had, even including some outstanding caviar services, for an IN-N-OUT Double-Double, Animal Fries, and a Vanilla milkshake.

Nothing satisfies like IN-N-OUT!
Sort of a cult. Burgers OK. fries suck.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by seat38a
So it sounds like everyone essentially just want what Continental had back??

EXACTLY what I was thinking - YES, please. Back in the day, doing transcons or HI travel, I knew we were in for a good flight when the lobster claw was the appetizer, and the menu selections included the rack of lamb. In those days, abbout the only difference between the HI and international services was no cheese course and no amenity kits.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Its hard to believe that CO used to have a pasta bar/cart service back in the days. This was way before my time flying up front but I've seen trip reports of it. To me, it seems that Polaris is a total downgrade in terms of dining when compared to CO.

Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The reason why airlines find it so difficult to get it right lies in the responses to this thread. Everyone's tastes are so different. Spice helps make things less bland, but not everyone wants spice; sauces help make things less dry (and easier to reheat) but not everyone wants sauces, comfort food delights some but horrifies others. Some passengers have sophisticated palates while others want "traditional" food.

I would have thought that a simple solution would be to have a choice of four main courses: one comfort food from the point of origin, one comfort food from the point of arrival (as those two places account for the preponderance of nationalities on board), one simple meat dish with a choice of sauces on the side and one vegetarian curry dish. This way you cater to the traditionalists (who don't like much beyond a hamburger or mac and cheese), vegetarians, those who want strong flavors, most allergy sufferers (who can omit the sauce) and people who want a conventional meat and two veg type affair.

And, within those choices, you can mix it up quite significantly (especially with the non-comfort food choices).
jcp3rd likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
In order of priority, my improvements would be:
- offer a choice of starters (I hate seafood and the cold fish/seafood I'm served usually goes straight to the trash); LH and SK both offer several choices and OS has a whole buffet to choose from
- allow meal pre-selection, or at least an advance look at the menus
- offer more substantial choices besides ice cream
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:49 am

Chicken fried steak with cream gravy and mashed potatoes, Wedge salad with blue cheese and bacon dressing, parker house rolls, vanilla birthday cake. Perfect.
AugustW and seat38a like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Pretty happy with the current UA offerings.
I do wish they'd change the menu up some more though; maybe every two or three months would be great.
But together with the improved offerings of the Polaris lounges, we now have way too much opportunity for excessive calorie intake.

I simply can't eat everything they have on offer, and after a Polaris visit, I now sometimes forgo the in-flight meal altogether.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I have a related request to bring back a J-cabin practice from the PM CO days....

Whatever the menus turn out to be, publish them online. Even accounting for the risk of not getting my first choice, it made my decision to eat on the plane or pre-flight a much easier one, especially on EWR to Europe flights where you might want to get to sleep right away. And now with the Polaris Lounge, it would be an even easier decision whether to skip the meal on the plane (well...not the dessert, of course).

This was a CO practice that I really appreciated. And it would be a good interim step until UA figures out how passengers can pre-order meals.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by catocony
If they start putting Indian food on flights, they are going to have to deal with passengers upset with smell, or the unhappy person who can't stomach it who has a choice of it or whatever is in economy if they're the last to order. The same would go for some other Asian fare as well.

In a perfect world all airlines would do the same as Austrian - 3-4 entree options, lots of side options, 3 soups, 8 appetizers, a half dozen desserts. Short of that, keep it simple. Better quality beef - I'm sick of short ribs - and meats that you can put sauces and spices on by request but can be served fairly plain for people who don't like the sauce/spice.
I have had an "Indian" chicken curry on many of my economy flights catered on IAH-AMS. Actually pretty decent, for an economy meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.