Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

If you could design United's premium cabin food-- what would the menu be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you could design United's premium cabin food-- what would the menu be?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JetAway
Chicken fried steak with cream gravy and mashed potatoes, Wedge salad with blue cheese and bacon dressing, parker house rolls, vanilla birthday cake. Perfect.
Any self-respecting Texan would be horrified by a chicken-fried steak put in front of them by an airline. 100% guarantee the coating would be a pale, soggy abomination. There can't be more than 3 minutes from deep-fryer to the table in front of you. IAH Polaris Lounge, maybe - airplane, no.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Any self-respecting Texan would be horrified by a chicken-fried steak put in front of them by an airline. 100% guarantee the coating would be a pale, soggy abomination. There can't be more than 3 minutes from deep-fryer to the table in front of you. IAH Polaris Lounge, maybe - airplane, no.
Good point. Agree-IAH Polaris Lounge.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Post menus online. I'd like to know in advance if I can eat any of the choices.

Bring back fish on Hawaii routes.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
A choice of starters and soup would be nice. Caesar Salad, Rack of Lamb, More European cuisine (French, Italian, Spanish...) . It has definitely improved in past years.

AW
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:50 am

Have the menu include options without mushrooms. Also, include a better way to indicate on your profile that you have certain food allergies and then have different menu options for those passengers.
AugustW likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by QS Dreamer
Have the menu include options without mushrooms...
UA is just making use of the thriving mushrooms growing in the room that's supposed to house the team charged with improving united.com's functionality (why do I have to call UA to apply an upgrade instrument to only one segment of a two-segment one-way trip?)
QS Dreamer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Hamburgers, simple hamburgers. It’s airplane food kinda like hospital food

I’d be happy if I could have McDonalds food.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JetAway
and mashed potatoes

vanilla birthday cake. Perfect.
With my luck the mashed potatoes will be sweet potatoes which are disgusting.

Vanilla birthday cake, really? Once on USAirways, I had a flourless chocolate cake coming from Le Bec Fin in Philadelphia (now closed). That was the perfect dessert for Business Class.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes, you are correct, it is a thali, but the food that is plated in the photo is Masala Zone's take on street food. And delicious...
i always order AVML for this reason - even when not perfect executed it is definitely better than what is usually standard offer

what has surprised me is Indian has become a standard offer on some Domestic F and INTL Y routes, not simply beef or chicken. So your general idea seems to be gaining, which is a good thing.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I'd actually like something like BA's new Club World catering that rolled out in 2017:

1) As most have echoed here, an option to pre-select an entree ala AA.
2) Choice of starters: BA has 3-4 starters including soup, salad and more traditional starters. Being able to choose is fun. BA is already cutting back a bit, so I wouldn't necessarily copy the whole trolley system they're ditching.
3) 3-4 entrees with variety. Obviously a lot of us love Indian food while some of us can't stand the taste and smell, so I'll leave that out. A comfort option perhaps labeled a Bistro selection could be fun. This could rotate more frequently perhaps? Meatloaf, hamburgers, etc. BA did this with First class for awhile. A meat, a fish, a veggie entree, and a 'bistro/comfort' entree could be appealing. I could even live with 3 entrees if there is pre-selection.
4) Dessert is fine and similar to BA, though I think it's nice AA does offer a different full-sized option (sometimes a 'lava cake' though obviously not from le bec fin) besides the sundae.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you like it, it's an aroma. If you hate it, it reeks. I get queasy at the smell of hot tea or oatmeal, but I don't expect any airline to cater to my specific distastes.
As I said, I happen to like good Indian food but even aromas you like reek when the smell permeates paint and carpet permanently. The Indian dishes I've had on airlines (and yes, I have had Indian food on both Lufthansa and United) is drastically toned down to the point that I call it faux-Indian. There are some curries like butter chicken that can be decent even toned down to not have the aroma waft through the cabin for the entire flight but the vast majority of good curries I've had just wouldn't work well in that environment.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What I really wish United would do is offer pre-departure meal selection.

linsj likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:44 am

A bit of a disappointment, this thread (IMHO), with so much of it taken up by discussions of the pros and cons of Indian dishes vs, mid-market US comfort food. Neither excite, in the context of an intercontinental aircraft cabin where you've paid three or four times (often more) the price of the base "transportation only" fare.

If I were unfortunate enough to be designated UA's food tsar, here are the general directions and priorities for the front cabins in which I'd want to try to head:
  • Build some customer excitement over menus, by (1) changing items more frequently,* preferably at least every two months; (2) publishing menus online (accessed by date and flight number) à la LH and (according to a prior post here) pmCO; (3) providing for (or encouraging?) pre-flight selection.
  • Highlight dishes from rotating guest chefs, à la LX's Taste of Switzerland dishes on intercontinental flights ex ZRH, with an emphasis on chefs from destination countries.
  • Work very hard (by training emphasis, better passenger communication methods, or whatever) to completely rid the airline of the apparently still used but inexcusable practice (mostly in domestic F/J, I gather) of having no menu and letting FAs, without any apparent personal knowledge of or interest in the dishes on offer, ask such stupid questions as "Meat or fish?," "Omelette or fruit?"

All of this assumes, of course, some strategy other than an overriding emphasis on cost minimization.

* At last count, 43.2% of the comments about F/J food in the FT UA forum appear to be complaints about the monotony of dishes introduced in the previous century.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Plat
I’m a pretty big foodie so I often contemplate my “ideal” inflight menus... also keeping in mind that traveling is hard on the body and stomach. If it were up to me I’d prefer menus that were diverse, modern, and “clean”, keeping in mind the dietary trends of today... simply grilled meats, healthy fats (bring on the guacamole!), limited carbs and grains, plenty of fresh fruits, very light on the sauces... things that are easy to execute and don’t make me feel like I’ve gained 5 lbs afterward. On DL I was once served a tuna poke bowl... seared tuna slices with coconut rice and some Asian mix of veggies, little or no sauces... felt quite light and refreshing!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
There hasn't been "fine dining" on US air carriers in nearly 20 years - an entire generation of fliers post 9/11 are used to mediocre food.
Respectfully, it never was fine dining before 9/11. Airline food has always been, at best, mediocre. There's a reason why it has been a subject of jokes and ire since I can remember.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.