Search

United Ad Confuses Shanghai & Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Update from United (they reached out to me):
Quote:
Originally Posted by United Press OfficeJust wanted to let you know that the bamboo forest in this shoot is fictional, but was inspired by various bamboo forests in and around Shanghai. It is not meant to represent one specific forest, but be representative of the various bamboo forests travelers will find in Shanghai.
Cool that they reached out with more "honest" answer.
I believe the sleuths on this here FT definitely did their homework and the "United Press Office's" response should more accurately read:

"Since we now realized our mistake, we will now use following excuse: the bamboo forest in this shoot is fictional, but was inspired by various bamboo forests in and around Kyoto which we erroneously believed to be in China. We will now just say that it is not meant to represent one specific forest although we admit it looks identical to the Kyoto one, but it should be considered representative of the various bamboo forests travelers might find in Shanghai (which we now understand to be in China, not Japan)."
nnn, drewguy, capedreamer and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by narvik
Cool that they reached out with more "honest" answer.
I believe the sleuths on this here FT definitely did their homework and the "United Press Office's" response should more accurately read:

"Since we now realized our mistake, we will now use following excuse: the bamboo forest in this shoot is fictional, but was inspired by various bamboo forests in and around Kyoto which we erroneously believed to be in China. We will now just say that it is not meant to represent one specific forest although we admit it looks identical to the Kyoto one, but it should be considered representative of the various bamboo forests travelers might find in Shanghai (which we now understand to be in China, not Japan)."
Glad that United is finally fessing up (sort of), but a bit ticked they didn't bother correcting their statement lie to me:

​​​​​​​
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

Originally Posted by United Press Office
Just wanted to let you know that the bamboo forest in this shoot is fictional, but was inspired by various bamboo forests in and around Shanghai. It is not meant to represent one specific forest, but be representative of the various bamboo forests travelers will find in Shanghai.
Sorry - that's even worse. If they took some unrecognizable bamboo grove that someone was able to place in Japan (or California) instead of China, okay. But that's a pretty iconic bamboo grove.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
From the filming, the skies don't look that blue . . .

Anyway, Shanghai isn't nearly as bad as Beijing and does get blue(ish) skies more frequently.
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Good point. How often do you get a blue sky in Shanghai?
I was in both places last month - saw sun and blue skies.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Hahaha - for all the people who complain about United copying Delta . . .

[sorry - not sure if the links are working]

Last edited by drewguy; Dec 4, 2018 at 4:13 pm Reason: Link not working

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.