Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Ad Confuses Shanghai & Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
I am sure I will screw this up ,but the picture Inserted is typical of Sagano - bit more paved and prepped
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
So where are the side by side photos comparing UA ad with real deal?
A true FTer would do a Mileage Run to Kyoto and Shanghai to investigate
nnn, narvik and Zorak like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
When looking at pictures of the Kyoto one, I'm not sure it's the same. It looks really similar, but in Kyoto there appears to be a double railing everywhere (looked through hundreds of photos), but the United video only shows one.

There are not many pictures of china ones however, so it's quite hard to find the real spot.

Edit:
I might be wrong. The double railing appears to be there in the video as well, but most parts are covered. The path conditions still don't match though

Last edited by delpiero223; Nov 5, 2018 at 11:17 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I've been to Saganonomiyacho twice and have never seen the side railings/shrubs be that short.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by capedreamer
I don't use Twitter, but please give a head's up here if they provide specific location details. I would love to check out this bamboo forest.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Anji or Arashiyama? A bamboozling question indeed.
wanderingkev and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Anji or Arashiyama? A bamboozling question indeed.
The Twitter post claimed the photo was taken in Shanghai, and Anji is not especially close to Shanghai.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
The Twitter post claimed the photo was taken in Shanghai, and Anji is not especially close to Shanghai.
The Bamboo Forests of Anji
If you are in Shanghai and are looking to getaway to a truly off-beat, serene and green location, then Anji is the perfect spot for you ..

It is a large, impressive bamboo forest, about 4½ hours away from Shanghai by road, and offers a great hiking alternative. It is also popular for producing the region's white tea (白茶 báichá)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a bamboo "forest" in the Westin hotel at DTW.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:22 pm

To be fair, Anji is in Zhejiang province, from which Shanghai was cut out to create the municipality that it is today. PVG in effect serves Anji for those on this side of the Pacific, especially without the HGH nonstop.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
To be fair, Anji is in Zhejiang province, from which Shanghai was cut out to create the municipality that it is today. PVG in effect serves Anji for those on this side of the Pacific, especially without the HGH nonstop.
The Shanghai municipality was established in 1958 by absorbing counties from Jiangsu only to the best of my knowledge. But, regardless of this, Anji never has been in Shanghai.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Having taken a look through photos of Anji, other than a few mislabeled ones, I'm pretty confident that the ad was not shot there.
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:41 pm

You’re right, it’s Jiangsu (the province to the north) and not Zhejiang. Regardless, I think we’re putting too much into UA’s tweet about “in Shanghai” as opposed to, say, “in the regional area served by our nonstop services to Shanghai.”
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
...But, regardless of this, Anji never has been in Shanghai.
But it would be no different than suggesting to fly to SFO to see Yosemite or Tahao or (a bit closer) the Wine Country
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But it would be no different than suggesting to fly to SFO to see Yosemite or Tahao or (a bit closer) the Wine Country
Like suggesting to fly to DTW to see Willis Tower

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.