Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Ad Confuses Shanghai & Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
And that may be another part of their error in not knowing that the image used is incorrect.

David
True, though it looks like they sent a crew there to film (or else really lucked out on stock video matching the style of the other clips) so either the folks editing it didn't know where the filming took place or, and I'd bet this is more likely, the ad team just figured it looked "close enough" and since they wanted to promote Shanghai, they put on a graphic for Shanghai.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Not a stupid question, but this is not just some random all-purpose "stock image" scenery for Asia. It's the famous Arashiyama Bamboo Grove, and given the complicated history between China and Japan, this would be something akin to captioning footage of the Taj Mahal with 'Pakistan'.
Ouch, between the Dr. Dao thing, then the Taiwan thing and now this, UA just can't get it right...

The ad reminds me of the old UA "we are singing your songs" commercial. I can't find it on youtube - something similar to this but not exactly:

Kind of sad the point is to brag their global reach, yet they don't understand the cultural implications.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Here in California (where many ads are filmed) we are very used to some of our scenery being "misattributed"
Frequently see add scenes for non-California locals of locations from California.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I’ve not seen any of the big name Frequent flyer blogs cover this matter yet. Therefore, it must not be real.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:14 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by sinoflyer

Does Kyoto have exclusive claim to a bamboo garden?
I have a bamboo garden in my yard.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reminds me of south park. Did you know that China and Japan are actually different countries?

Last edited by VegasGambler; Nov 5, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Here in California (where many ads are filmed) we are very used to some of our scenery being "misattributed"
Frequently see add scenes for non-California locals of locations from California.
There's a 30 Rock episode where they joked about shows supposed to be set in New York but clearly in California. In one scene, Liz is supposed to be in a Horse and Carriage in Central Park, but you can clearly see the palm trees in the background.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by idayvuelta
There's a 30 Rock episode where they joked about shows supposed to be set in New York but clearly in California. In one scene, Liz is supposed to be in a Horse and Carriage in Central Park, but you can clearly see the palm trees in the background.
Let's not forget "Murder, She Wrote" which was set in Cabot Cove, a fictional town in Maine. The opening of each episode featured Angela Landsbury biking or walking around Mendocino, CA.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
This reminds me of one of the earliest UA ad campaigns when it had first acquired Pan Am's Asian routes back in the mid 80s. The ad featured a variety of masks, IIRC, and confused Japan with China. More than 30 years on, they are still confused...
Well, back in the 80s United thought Hong Kong was in Japan.

UA would send stuff by mail with the address "Hong Kong, Japan". Took a loooooooong time get here. At least the Japanese remember where they invaded.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mduell
It's served by Itami.

Had you posted this about a month ago, you would have been right, but KIX is back in business! Actually not a bad airport, and really easy train ride into Kyoto Station (or places on other lines). KIX is actually closer to Kyoto than NRT is to Tokyo...
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88

Had you posted this about a month ago, you would have been right, but KIX is back in business! Actually not a bad airport, and really easy train ride into Kyoto Station (or places on other lines). KIX is actually closer to Kyoto than NRT is to Tokyo...
A lot of airports are closer to their nominal cities than are NRT and Tokyo.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by skyccord
I have a bamboo garden in my yard.
Is there non-stop service from ORD to your yard?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
United doubles down!

drewguy and narvik like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by capedreamer
That might be right , I lived in Japan for a few years and took family and visitors to Sagano Forest 5 or 6 times over the period. One thing that looks a little suspect to me for Kyoto is the shabby footpath and general density,it is definitely not shot in Arashiyama Grove, the image may have been taken at a place called Anji which is about 3 hours from Shanghai. I went there one time several years ago.
General Disclaimer ...I am not an expert in Bamboo /or Bamboo forests...I have just been to a few

Last edited by wanderingkev; Nov 5, 2018 at 3:16 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
So where are the side by side photos comparing UA ad with real deal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.