Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I would estimate that if UA lost every single paid lifetime club member - it simply wouldn't change the financials to a point where anyone would notice.
Maybe. But the cost of grandfathering them is very very little - not even large enough to be called noise on a chart. Negligible. And then they keep the flight, baggage, food, etc. revenue.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by AAdmiral
I agree. I also purchased a CO Club lifetime and would like to know how they can change our particular benefit. I can understand when people renew having the new rules apply but they need to exempt lifetime members. I'd join onto your class action.
I haven't read through the entire thread so pardon if this has been posted previously. Delta instituted the same policy and I was pretty upset as I had bought a lifetime membership when NWA was still flying. I think a lot of folks complained, including me, and Delta came out with an exception to policy for lifetime members. I make sure to carry a copy of that with me, just in case some employees aren't aware. Perhaps enough pressure/complaints with encourage United to do the same.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:42 pm

Absolutely. I encourage everyone to call United email United however you want to contact them and make some noise.

Here is the CEO:
[email protected]
Old May 2, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Hilton D, UA 1MM LT 1K-, LT UAClub, DL MS, DL 1MM, Former LT PClub, CO Infinite Elite
I don't know how to add my name to the list. I bought 2. Have written and been told that I am SOL as there is no contract.

My lifetime membership predates CO DB UA. I did use my right to unlimited access several times to get through TSA on dates I was not flying in order to meet with a person who was.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 2, 2019 at 9:58 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 5, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hilton D, UA 1MM LT 1K-, LT UAClub, DL MS, DL 1MM, Former LT PClub, CO Infinite Elite
Have had some correspondence with United. They are claiming their reserved right to change access rules under the contract permits this behavior. Following their logic, United Club could have a rule that excluded me individually by name. They could also restrict access to Club members flyig on certain itineraries or only on tickets of a certain value (oh, right, they already did that with Polaris!). I don't think so!

Last edited by ContPlat; May 5, 2019 at 12:30 pm Reason: clarity
Old May 8, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
As a lifetime UC member, this change sucks. I flew 2MM BIS to get the status and now there's no access unless on UA?

Shouldn't they give an exemption to these people? We're not talking about tens of thousands of customers, I suspect.

Last edited by honmani2; May 8, 2019 at 4:07 pm Reason: Added sentence.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:59 pm

Delta issued an exception for their lifetime club members.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by honmani2
As a lifetime UC member, this change sucks. I flew 2MM BIS to get the status and now there's no access unless on UA?

Shouldn't they give an exemption to these people? We're not talking about tens of thousands of customers, I suspect.
The 2 MM gift was free and no longer available. Many of us here paid hard cash in late 20th century. I paid around $2000 in 1989 or 1990 dollars, when DJI was about 2700. It closed today around 26000. My main purpose was to use the RCC at HKG when I flew intra-Asia connecting at HKG, because UA did not have such flights. If they did, I would not need to pay that kind of money as I always fly F/C internationally..
Old May 8, 2019, 6:48 pm

The entire population of lifetime club members gets smaller every year. They have not sold lifetime memberships in quite a while, and every year people stop traveling because they're getting older and either they can't or they don't want to anymore. It's a self-correcting problem. all they have to do is continue to give lifers access, and eventually there won't be any more lifers.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:18 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Look to the left of this post. I have updated my profile to broadcast United's decision to cheat this (and every other) lifetime member. Please get creative (but not profane) in your own profiles.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
Look to the left of this post. I have updated my profile to broadcast United's decision to cheat this (and every other) lifetime member. Please get creative (but not profane) in your own profiles.
Welcome to the UA "Lifetime" Cynics Club (see my profile of several years standing).

Last edited by Fredd; May 8, 2019 at 9:51 pm Reason: for clarification.... There are clubs and there are clubs...
Old May 8, 2019, 9:46 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nsx
Although not a club member, I am lifetime Gold but ever since the 1 million mile devaluation, my profile has read “Lifetime (for now) Gold MM”
Old May 10, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA AA WN DL BA LH
Ok. I finally sent my emails to United. I tried explaining to them that I'm not dead yet. They essentially said tough luck, no exceptions for "lifetime" members. We have made UA our airline of last resort - a true lifetime change. I refuse to give a company that has cheated me more money if I can avoid it. I would rather fly American and pay for an Austin lounge pass than pay anything more to UA. We'll use the heck out of the United lounge until 11/1 and enjoy our flights on Southwest, American, and other carriers. Come November we'll start burning through our One Pass miles until we are done with UA.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Time to file DoT complaints.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Time to file DoT complaints.
Grounds? What DOT req has been violated?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.