Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs - preview 12 May, opening 18 May 2022?

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs - preview 12 May, opening 18 May 2022?

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 9, 22, 8:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Opening18 May 2022?

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 13, 19, 5:57 pm
  #31  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 32,895
Originally Posted by 8MiHi View Post
I would not expect both of them to go away once the new club is opened. They may leave them in place and use them for peak demand periods, similar to how the C92 club is used now (only opens at 12:30 pm).
Well, the pop-ups will absolutely need to be open long enough to allow the C1 club to be refurbished. It's srely in need of a freshening.
Originally Posted by 8MiHi View Post
I am pretty sure we know where it will be. We just don't know when it will be.
Indeed...
Xyzzy is offline  
Old Mar 23, 19, 10:52 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Wayne, NJ USA
Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Posts: 2,069
Back on the subtopic of the supposedly being (slooowwwllly) built club upstairs in the C3 concourse. I walked by today and there really isn't much floor space to speak of. Is that space really large enough to replace even half of the old UC that is now the PL?
elitefreak is offline  
Old Mar 28, 19, 1:59 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: EWR
Programs: UA 1.6MM 1K, UC Lifetime , HHonors Diamond, Presidential Plus card holder
Posts: 487
Originally Posted by elitefreak View Post
Back on the subtopic of the supposedly being (slooowwwllly) built club upstairs in the C3 concourse. I walked by today and there really isn't much floor space to speak of. Is that space really large enough to replace even half of the old UC that is now the PL?
This is my concern. I think it will have greater capacity than the pop-up nearby, but not by much. Of course they could really pack in the seats like the Club at LAS (a Priority Club offering so packed they are building a new one).
Or, more likely, they are going to do some structural work to expand the square footage.
8MiHi is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:58 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: EWR
Programs: UA 1.6MM 1K, UC Lifetime , HHonors Diamond, Presidential Plus card holder
Posts: 487
Originally Posted by 8MiHi View Post
My sources (a friend in the Port Authority and some nice attendants in the pop-up at C124) say that the people working on it are really focused on getting the new club open next summer. That said the original date was this winter.
Maybe those sources meant the following summer, or the summer after that. I see no sign of any construction currently happening.
The pop-ups are supposed to be temporary. Are they waiting for Terminal One to be finished?
8MiHi is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 10:45 am
  #35  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 60,557
Originally Posted by 8MiHi View Post
Maybe those sources meant the following summer, or the summer after that. I see no sign of any construction currently happening.
The pop-ups are supposed to be temporary. Are they waiting for Terminal One to be finished?
Perhaps we should take odds on which will be first the "new" EWR UC or the IAD Polaris Lounge?
PANYNJ vs MWAA
wxguy, Dublin_rfk, 8MiHi and 3 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 8, 19 at 11:56 am Reason: PANYNJ vs MWAA
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 11:54 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Posts: 6,117
Originally Posted by 8MiHi View Post
Maybe those sources meant the following summer, or the summer after that. I see no sign of any construction currently happening.
The pop-ups are supposed to be temporary. Are they waiting for Terminal One to be finished?
Likewise. My last few trips thru EWR when I went to check on progress, it appears that nothing is being worked on, as in dead.
8MiHi likes this.
Vulcan is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 1:52 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 477
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Perhaps we should take odds on which will be first the "new" EWR UC or the IAD Polaris Lounge?
PANYNJ vs MWAA
We waited well over a year without the UC in Terminal 1C in ORD - there is no excuse but typical of United - over promise and not have a meaningful plan - esp when charging extra for a service.
uber1K_Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 26, 19, 12:15 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PHL | EWR
Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Posts: 95
Recently, a UC staff rep at the EWR C3 pop-up lounge mentioned that the C3 UC will be finished in 16 months. He even pointed out at orange cones where support beams for the overhanging structure will be installed. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if completion will be in mid-2021 at the earliest (given UA's poor history of meeting deadlines)
MrGood is offline  
Old Sep 26, 19, 2:42 pm
  #39  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 50,832
Originally Posted by MrGood View Post
Recently, a UC staff rep at the EWR C3 pop-up lounge mentioned that the C3 UC will be finished in 16 months.
With that, I'd peg the over under at mid-2023.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 26, 19, 9:14 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Posts: 359
Originally Posted by MrGood View Post
Recently, a UC staff rep at the EWR C3 pop-up lounge mentioned that the C3 UC will be finished in 16 months. He even pointed out at orange cones where support beams for the overhanging structure will be installed. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if completion will be in mid-2021 at the earliest (given UA's poor history of meeting deadlines)
UC staff seem clueless about this issue, but if true, that is a ridiculously long wait given the horrible EWR UC situation.
Eadward is offline  
Old Oct 14, 19, 5:54 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BOS<>NYC<>BKK
Programs: UA 4.2MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Posts: 4,149
There's now a sign on the pop-up C3 Club saying it will "close soon to allow construction of the new permanent Club." I asked the agent about timing, and she said "it has supposed to close for the past month." I asked how it was related to the construction, and she didn't know. I'm speculating this will be where the stairs/elevator will be that segregates it from the incoming immigration pathways. I asked if that will just leave the C1 rotunda club, and she nodded "yes."

If there was ever a time to relax Polaris admit rules, this is it -- maybe GS? Or lifetime members? Anything to relieve the pressure on the C1 Club.
wxguy is offline  
Old Oct 14, 19, 6:19 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8,638
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
There's now a sign on the pop-up C3 Club saying it will "close soon to allow construction of the new permanent Club." I asked the agent about timing, and she said "it has supposed to close for the past month." I asked how it was related to the construction, and she didn't know. I'm speculating this will be where the stairs/elevator will be that segregates it from the incoming immigration pathways. I asked if that will just leave the C1 rotunda club, and she nodded "yes."

If there was ever a time to relax Polaris admit rules, this is it -- maybe GS? Or lifetime members? Anything to relieve the pressure on the C1 Club.
I noticed that sign up two or three weeks ago. I decided not to go in, though, since I saw an empty gate, and I had only about ten minutes. Sort of strange to put it up without a clear timeline.

Tiny silver lining: the rotunda club has a new pair of espresso machines. To me the cappuccino tasted better. They also had hard boiled eggs the morning that I went there.
fumje is offline  
Old Oct 14, 19, 9:20 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Posts: 6,117
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
There's now a sign on the pop-up C3 Club saying it will "close soon to allow construction of the new permanent Club." I asked the agent about timing, and she said "it has supposed to close for the past month." I asked how it was related to the construction, and she didn't know. I'm speculating this will be where the stairs/elevator will be that segregates it from the incoming immigration pathways. I asked if that will just leave the C1 rotunda club, and she nodded "yes."

If there was ever a time to relax Polaris admit rules, this is it -- maybe GS? Or lifetime members? Anything to relieve the pressure on the C1 Club.
Only at limited times. I was at the Polaris lounge at 4:30 and got essentially the last seat. So between- 3 and 7, this could not work. Earlier or later, maybe.

Edited to add: I see no mention of the other Popup at around C96 that opens after 2:30? It is tiny and smaller than the main popup, and crowded as well, but is a small benefit at the worse times (4-7 PM).

Last edited by Vulcan; Oct 14, 19 at 9:32 am
Vulcan is offline  
Old Oct 15, 19, 8:17 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BOS<>NYC<>BKK
Programs: UA 4.2MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Posts: 4,149
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Only at limited times. I was at the Polaris lounge at 4:30 and got essentially the last seat. So between- 3 and 7, this could not work. Earlier or later, maybe.

Edited to add: I see no mention of the other Popup at around C96 that opens after 2:30? It is tiny and smaller than the main popup, and crowded as well, but is a small benefit at the worse times (4-7 PM).
So I just chatted with a GS agent at EWR who seemed to know his stuff. He said that UA has been ready to build the new C3 Club for a very long time, but the Port Authority has held things up. They had to wait for the retail leases at the end of C3 to terminate, as all of those places will close to make room for the new Club which will be on the second level, but the entrance and elevator/escalator room will take up space. The plan is to close the C3 pop-up at the end of November, and construction should take 12-18 months. During that time, the 92 pop-up Club will be open all day. In addition, all EWR Clubs will take one-day passes only in the morning.

I asked about the Polaris lounge for GS or MM exceptions, and he said it can't be done because of crowding during the afternoon/evening when it would be needed most -- and next summer will be worse than last summer as there will be seven more international flights in summer 2020 vs summer 2019. He said "it's going to be a zoo in the C1 Club."

At least there seems to be some progress.
wxguy is offline  
Old Oct 15, 19, 8:24 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 8,859
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
So I just chatted with a GS agent at EWR who seemed to know his stuff. He said that UA has been ready to build the new C3 Club for a very long time, but the Port Authority has held things up. They had to wait for the retail leases at the end of C3 to terminate, as all of those places will close to make room for the new Club which will be on the second level, but the entrance and elevator/escalator room will take up space. The plan is to close the C3 pop-up at the end of November, and construction should take 12-18 months. During that time, the 92 pop-up Club will be open all day. In addition, all EWR Clubs will take one-day passes only in the morning.

I asked about the Polaris lounge for GS or MM exceptions, and he said it can't be done because of crowding during the afternoon/evening when it would be needed most -- and next summer will be worse than last summer as there will be seven more international flights in summer 2020 vs summer 2019. He said "it's going to be a zoo in the C1 Club."

At least there seems to be some progress.
Interesting update....It is already a zoo at the United Club in Terminal C.

Can't imagine how bad it will be when they close the C3 Pop Up.
There has to be some space somewhere to put some additional temporary club space during the construction.
goodeats21 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread