Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting your upgrade instrument back on when it drops off - SDC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting your upgrade instrument back on when it drops off - SDC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Question Getting your upgrade instrument back on when it drops off - SDC

Recently I flew TPAC on a GPU cleared V fare to USA then did a few SDC and standby to reach where I wanted to go. As many know when your upgrade instrument drops off as in my case (due to SDC) it can be problematic to get in the correct place on a a waitlist.

My understanding is that the upgrade system is separate to the airport system so when you check in the software fixes an SSR code to your upgrade priority which is how the upgrade system hands off to the airport system. Unfortunately checking out and checking back in doesn't fix the problem at least not for me. The issue is that the SDC system doesn't acknowledge or apply the SSR codes so they are lost.

GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27753011-post1439.html

Anyway it's my understanding that this can only be done at the airport - so:

At the airport, I think the easiest way I've found is to 'politely instruct' a customer service, gate or club agent to call the airport help desk who will give them the correct GG code to use - in my case GG GPU .... I'm not sure exactly what they need to type in/select afterwards to manually override.

(A GS agent may call the airport help desk (if you are lucky) but under GS I doubt it - I've had no success).

I don't know if there is a better way of doing this?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ermintrude
My understanding is that the upgrade system is separate to the airport system so when you check in the software fixes an SSR code to your upgrade priority which is how the upgrade system hands off to the airport system. Unfortunately checking out and checking back in doesn't fix the problem at least not for me. The issue is that the SDC system doesn't acknowledge or apply the SSR codes so they are lost.
I hear what you're saying. This has happened to me too on an instrument-supported itinerary. I think what's happening is when one re-checks-in after performing a SDC, the check-in process at this point doesn't re-affix the SSR code, so you go on the Upgrade Standby List at 'normal' CPU priority.

I know there's no new 'waitlisting' within 24 hours, but I you'd think the system should "remember" the SSR priority code and ensure it is affixed at each respective check-in. Not sure why this isn't the case -- as it ties up GA's time having to do manual adjustments to the Upgrade Standby List.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As far as I know, transferring the waitlist when SDCing has always been A* (it's possible for an agent to do this for you, but most won't -- if you want to try, you need to do the SDC with an agent). The SSR code is indeed cleared out when you check in the first time, and I'm pretty sure there's no way to do what you're asking without a human on the other end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.