Wiki Posts
Search

my first award booking - advice?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:58 am
Original Poster

my first award booking - advice?

Hi,
I'll be trying to book 2 biz award tickets from the US (west coast) to israel for next year (september). This will be my first time booking award tickets through MP.
I do have enough miles for both tickets on Business Saver, but would obviously like to minimize the price and have as many options as I can.
Are there any promotions I can look forward to? Does UA sometimes offer discounted (or 2-4-1) award tickets?

Looking at the current calendar, it looks like there are far more (and better) options when looking ~3 months ahead than for ~11 months ahead.
Since the planned flights are in the distant future (11 months), I can afford to hold on and wait for something better to show up.
Is this a wise plan, or should I just book when any flight become available?

Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
It can be hard to find availability in J, so if you find a saver itinerary you like, I don't see the point in waiting. There is no guarantee something will be open later.
MSPpete and Beltway2A like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Op, keep in mind two things:

1) west coast -Israel flights are often relatively inexpensive in J, often hovering between $2900 and $3500 roundtrip
2) whether revenue or award, inventory isn’t release until about 11 months prior on UA. Some carriers release seats before then. I’ve often found Turkish and Air Canada have inventory before UA does, available via MP booking.

Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dror
Does UA sometimes offer discounted (or 2-4-1) award tickets?
It's rare enough for them to offer any business saver space at all. I don't think there's been a business class award sale since the merger with Continental.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's rare enough for them to offer any business saver space at all. I don't think there's been a business class award sale since the merger with Continental.
Indeed not -- UA is all about 2-4-2 in J
perkele, Repooc17, trooper and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Indeed not -- UA is all about 2-4-2 in J
:groan: Well played.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
My advice is that if you see something that meets your requirements, book it immediately. You may never see it again.
jsloan, narvik, Gig103 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
agree with other posters. no guarantees of availability opening up sooner or later, apart from Lufthansa First which follows a pattern.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:49 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I suggest finding *A partner flights and enjoying the reliability and superior service. A bit more expensive but better!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies. A couple of followups:

Originally Posted by zrs70
Op, keep in mind two things:
1) west coast -Israel flights are often relatively inexpensive in J, often hovering between $2900 and $3500 roundtrip
2) whether revenue or award, inventory isn’t release until about 11 months prior on UA. Some carriers release seats before then. I’ve often found Turkish and Air Canada have inventory before UA does, available via MP booking.
1. We already have a OW, only need the return.
2. How is it possible to book these TK/AC flights using MP miles before the flights are available on the MP system? Are they bookable only with an agent?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by roberto99
I suggest finding *A partner flights and enjoying the reliability and superior service. A bit more expensive but better!
Could you please clarify what you mean by "*A partner flights"? Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Dror
Thanks everyone for the replies. A couple of followups:

1. We already have a OW, only need the return.
2. How is it possible to book these TK/AC flights using MP miles before the flights are available on the MP system? Are they bookable only with an agent?
Thanks.

Could you please clarify what you mean by "*A partner flights"? Thanks.
What he said was that some carriers release seats (on MP) before UA itself does.... it will always have to be booked through MP because it's their currency "miles" you are spending.

As to *A partner flights...Star Alliance partner flights.... many people would rather use their miles to fly on airlines OTHER than UA.... so...TK/AC etc.... because they feel that - for the same "price" those foreign airlines provide a better experience.
Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.