Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:42 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I won't lie; the P changes will suck. But I noticed that I have a lot of Z and C fares this year, too. Most of the paid international premium has been P, though... almost all of it (2x Europe and 2x South America). I figure I'd need an additional 2 paid front cabin transcons to make the PQM this year under the new system (which would incidentally put me very close to the extra $3k).
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by exerda
I won't lie; the P changes will suck. But I noticed that I have a lot of Z and C fares this year, too. Most of the paid international premium has been P, though... almost all of it (2x Europe and 2x South America). I figure I'd need an additional 2 paid front cabin transcons to make the PQM this year under the new system (which would incidentally put me very close to the extra $3k).
If United moves P class to premium economy and gets out of sequence with other *A carriers, this could cause issues - for example, ANA has a P fare sale YVR-TPE and I fly YVR-SEA(AC-P)-SEA-NRT(NH-P)-NRT-TPE(NH-P) all in business and the next segment is TPE-SFO(UA-P)-SFO-YVR(UA-P) those last segments should be in business per the NH fare, but would I end up in Premium Economy TPE-SFO if the fare won't price out TPE-SFO-YVR in Z on UA?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There is absolutely no indication of P changing to premium economy, however...

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If United moves P class to premium economy and gets out of sequence with other *A carriers, this could cause issues - for example, ANA has a P fare sale YVR-TPE and I fly YVR-SEA(AC-P)-SEA-NRT(NH-P)-NRT-TPE(NH-P) all in business and the next segment is TPE-SFO(UA-P)-SFO-YVR(UA-P) those last segments should be in business per the NH fare, but would I end up in Premium Economy TPE-SFO if the fare won't price out TPE-SFO-YVR in Z on UA?
If this happened, the booking code rules for the NH P fare would book Z class on UA (or whatever the new cheapest Business bucket is). There's a bit of overlap between J and C inventory that could be unwound without a ton of difficulty. Many *A airlines only have four revenue Business codes.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
If this happened, the booking code rules for the NH P fare would book Z class on UA (or whatever the new cheapest Business bucket is). There's a bit of overlap between J and C inventory that could be unwound without a ton of difficulty. Many *A airlines only have four revenue Business codes.
Right. This happens all over the place; the relative equivalence inside UA's JVs is the exception, not the rule. Look at the booking codes United.com comes up with for itineraries like SFO-UA-HKG-CX-MNL; CX obviously isn't a *A partner, but they manage to make the fare codes make sense.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
More devaluation in the store?

This might be off topics. I wonder whether or not UA is going to give partial purchase price as PQD for deep discount economy ticket (G class in my case) in the near future. I purchased a ticket this morning. The ticket price is $506 excluding taxes and other charges. The PQD in the receipt shows $333. It is Tuesday today. I cannot blame the weekend IT update for this problem. Is anyone else having this experience?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
This is just great. Let me just recap my personal history over the past few years. I would fly 100K per year and would achieve 1K with about $5K-$7K worth of spend I would earn 200K in miles 6 GPU & 4 RPU. With business trips to Asia I managed to hit the 10K spend threshold and earned only 110K miles on the PQDx11 model. This year (and last) I will fly 100K miles with a $9K spend and be Platinum earning 81K miles 4 RPU. Now I will have no chance of hitting 1K and only get 2 RPU. On top of that we now have platinum boarding with gold. My experience over the last week boarding at EWR, IAH & MSY is that group 1 is now the largest group by far. Over the past 5 years they have demanded more from me in terms of spend and have given me less and less in benefits. I really wish I had an alternative but none are feasible. Sorry for the rant but I really wish that my business was some how appreciated in some way.

AW
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AugustW
This year (and last) I will fly 100K miles with a $9K spend and be Platinum earning 81K miles 4 RPU.
Platinums only earn 2 RPU, no matter how far they fly. This isn't changing.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Let me just recap my personal history over the past few years. I would fly 100K per year and would achieve 1K with about $5K-$7K worth of spend
That has not been possible since PQD were introduced Jan. 1, 2014. The last year a US resident could qualify for 1K without at least $10k spend was 2013.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Maybe they'll try to get $300 from the passengers who are on the upgrade list but would only clear at the gate........
they already got the money for the W fare differential.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by cova
We are sort of getting off topic, but the lounge survey was extensive. It even asked you how much you would be willing to pay to access the Polaris Lounge. It was definitely referring to paying for access.

I look at it this way. Now only UA J and F customers get access to Polaris Lounge, but they get in for Free. A new ground based source of additional revenue would be to allows others in for a fee. Yes it would make the lounge more crowded, but UA went from only having the UA Club for their J customers. The cost per J customer to provide lounge services is now higher - so higher costs need to be offset with more revenue, and generating ground base revenue is a plus. Not many other options for air based revenue other than raising fares.
As a 1K whose GPU’s don’t hardly ever clear in ORD in advance (once out of 4), and who pays the fare premium with no recompense UA ought to let me in without question or fee. I’ve already paid for it!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
That has not been possible since PQD were introduced Jan. 1, 2014. The last year a US resident could qualify for 1K without at least $10k spend was 2013.
You are correct prior to 2014 I qualified with $5K-$7K spend. Not sure how that changes anything.

AW
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You are correct prior to 2014 I qualified with $5K-$7K spend. Not sure how that changes anything.
You referenced making 1K with $7-8k spend in the "past few years." That hasn't been possible for five years, which I would consider pretty much ancient history in the frequent flyer world (and it hasn't been possible on any of the legacies since AA followed suit in 2017).

I think all of us need to assess the various program rules and decide where we will get the most value for our dollars. AS is now probably the best U.S. program for lower spending frequent flyers. UA and DL still provide good value up to Plat with the credit card waiver, but none of the legacies are going to give you top tier these days without meeting a significant spend component.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
AS is now probably the best U.S. program for lower spending frequent flyers.
Yes, but AS's route limitations make them useless for people in much of the country, especially as they pare back their relationship with AA.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by dordal
United's own page still shows P at 200% for UA flights, with no mention of the 1/1/2019 change, so I wouldn't hold me breath. I hope they keep it at 200% -- 150% seems very chintzy for a business class fare.
All the P segments I have booked for 2019 (for which I have receipts showing 200%) are now showing 150% online. Does not bode well for them changing their mind. I know the MP T&C say they can change the rules any time, but it does seem unethical to change the rules for products that had already been purchased.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by dordal
United's own page still shows P at 200% for UA flights, with no mention of the 1/1/2019 change
Originally Posted by Michilander
I know the MP T&C say they can change the rules any time, but it does seem unethical to change the rules for products that had already been purchased.
That's really bad they haven't updated the website.
{The DOT should} go after this as a deceptive practice.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, but AS's route limitations make them useless for people in much of the country, especially as they pare back their relationship with AA.
Well in the sentence right before the one you quoted I said that all of us need to make our own personal assessments in choosing FF programs; I assumed most would understand that to include network. Obviously it wouldn't make much sense to choose AS if their network doesn't work for you.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 2, 2018 at 10:36 am Reason: removed vugar language

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.