Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA EC gold UA gold—MM Hilton Diamond Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Kacee
Technically they can do anything they want with MP benefits.

I would hope that UA backtracks on this point and grandfathers tickets purchased prior to the announcement. That's how this has consistently been handled in the past and I'm really surprised at how they're handling it this time. It may well be an IT limitation, but that's really no excuse.
I think the fact that any 2019 P class tickets issued will have been paid for (so the money is already in the United bank ) is the worse feature of this change. It really calls into question whether anything this airline promises can be relied on. The ghost of Smisek lives on
8MiHi likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Good luck on finding flights where you can confirm the GPU at time of booking. RPU/GPU are useless since UA really has locked down on advanced confirmation of them. I still have 16 RPUs and 12 GPUs in my account and no use for them. Last weeks flights to and from Paris were all in eco since biz was full. Getting on 150% for P fares will hurt the most from where I am sitting

Last edited by Christefan; Oct 1, 2018 at 2:27 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cheltenhamflyer
I think the fact that any 2019 P class tickets issued will have been paid for (so the money is already in the United bank ) is the worse feature of this change. It really calls into question whether anything this airline promises can be relied on. The ghost of Smisek lives on
Wouldnt the written documented receipt also show the accrual per 200% PQM? Seems like a feature that influenced buying they reneged.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skidooman

So, clearly, 1K is for people traveling in business first and foremost. What GPUs do for us? Not much. They were worth gold before, but if I was still in that situation I would be very sorry now and do everything I could to score at least premier Y if not cheap J. Sorry but cattle class has just become unlivable for long haul.
Some of us are earning 1K the hard way....domestic travel on economy fares. Last year I earned 102,215 PQM on 67.5 PQS (98,882 BIS, 66 segments). This year I'll do 105,000+ PQM on at least 80 segments.I'd argue that as a frequent flyer that doesn't travel internationally frequently, the GPU's are mostly worthless. (When I do travel internationally, the amount I'm allowed to spend is a function of the distance flown....so J tix are sometimes within reach.)
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Wouldnt the written documented receipt also show the accrual per 200% PQM? Seems like a feature that influenced buying they reneged.
Yes clearly shown before and after purchase. Seems a pretty poor way of doing business particularly as they charge 200$ or 300$ to cancel. One rule for them another for us ordinary folk
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
Has this been confirmed? Just checked the Partner Airline pages for LH, LX, AC and ANA and they still reflect earning at 200% for P fares as of 10/1. I'd like to think they will remain at that level which will just give me even more incentive to book on partners rather than UA. Or, maybe those pages just haven't been updated!

I already have several international trips on partners in P fare class for 2019 and those PQMs look like they're unchanged, again as of midday 10/1...
United's own page still shows P at 200% for UA flights, with no mention of the 1/1/2019 change, so I wouldn't hold me breath. I hope they keep it at 200% -- 150% seems very chintzy for a business class fare.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Then the Polaris Lounges would be packed and there would be complaints about that.

Some flights could have 20 passengers on the upgrade list and be already totally sold out in Polaris Business. Adds to the numbers.
Recently got a survey from UA on the lounges including Polaris lounge. Some of the questions focused on what features you would be willing to pay extra. One was Polaris lounge access - asking if you would be willing to pay a fee to get in the Polaris lounge. I took this to mean (obviously) when you would not be otherwise eligible.

Maybe this survey went to UA Club members, but it indicates that UA is considering making Polaris Lounge accessible for a fee. Maybe there are times it is not very crowded.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dordal
I hope they keep it at 200% -- 150% seems very chintzy for a business class fare.
It's a business class fare that is frequently lower than the highest economy fares. And it's so chintzy that, as of the 2015 qualification year, all business and first class travel on UA was 150%. The same was true on NH. Feel free to navigate through the other partners if you want. The 200%+ PQM categories were introduced for QY 2016, and, IIRC, there was much rending of garments because it would be "way too easy" to get status. Now, they're rolling it back on just one fare class, and it's "chintzy?"

There is zero chance that newly-purchased UA P fares will be 200% PQM next year. There is some chance that UA will change its mind and offer 200% on previously purchased itineraries; there's precedent for that.

For a bit of perspective, consider that Miles & More members earn 100% status miles for these same P fares.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:37 pm

You suggest some chance that UA will have a change of mind so far as tickets issued prior to the announcement are concerned. Do hope you are correct because the current position is really unacceptable
8MiHi likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
For a bit of perspective, consider that Miles & More members earn 100% status miles for these same P fares.
Yes. Earnings of 125% or less on discount business class are the norm on most major carriers. Among the US legacies, DL gives 150%, AA 200%. I'd be surprised not to see AA follow UA and drop that to 150%.
jsloan and findark like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cheltenhamflyer
I feel they should absolutely honor P fares ticketed and issued before the announcement. And- if they wanted to bank even more money then extend that 200% P fare credit on fares purchased up until 23:59 on 31 Dec 18. They'd have an incredible quarter with all those tickets booked into next year. (I know I'd book my trips out as far as I could where I find P inventory) However, I doubt they will go back and reverse course as their obvious goal is to thin the 1K ranks.

Last edited by gmt4; Oct 1, 2018 at 5:41 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by cova
Recently got a survey from UA on the lounges including Polaris lounge. Some of the questions focused on what features you would be willing to pay extra. One was Polaris lounge access - asking if you would be willing to pay a fee to get in the Polaris lounge. I took this to mean (obviously) when you would not be otherwise eligible.

Maybe this survey went to UA Club members, but it indicates that UA is considering making Polaris Lounge accessible for a fee. Maybe there are times it is not very crowded.
More likely they are trying to determine how much someone values the Polaris lounge as part of the overall experience in a quantifiable way.
Very unlikely they would introduce selling passes to Polaris Lounge.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Very unlikely they would introduce selling passes to Polaris Lounge.
Maybe they'll try to get $300 from the passengers who are on the upgrade list but would only clear at the gate........
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Maybe they'll try to get $300 from the passengers who are on the upgrade list but would only clear at the gate........
We are sort of getting off topic, but the lounge survey was extensive. It even asked you how much you would be willing to pay to access the Polaris Lounge. It was definitely referring to paying for access.

I look at it this way. Now only UA J and F customers get access to Polaris Lounge, but they get in for Free. A new ground based source of additional revenue would be to allows others in for a fee. Yes it would make the lounge more crowded, but UA went from only having the UA Club for their J customers. The cost per J customer to provide lounge services is now higher - so higher costs need to be offset with more revenue, and generating ground base revenue is a plus. Not many other options for air based revenue other than raising fares.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cova
...Maybe there are times it is not very crowded.
NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
I like having the lounge almost to myself after LHR early afternoon arrival and before later afternoon Hawaii departures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.