Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FA on SYD-SFO insists 'rule book' prohibits babies from crying 'for more than 5 mins'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA on SYD-SFO insists 'rule book' prohibits babies from crying 'for more than 5 mins'

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:13 am
Original Poster

From the San Francisco Chronicle: https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/a...n-13260384.php
In a statement, United clarified, "Young families are welcome on our flights, including in business class." [...] United sent representatives to the gate to meet Bala's family as their flight landed in San Francisco, apologize, and offer her a refund, the company said.
Kudos to the pilot for taking the lead on making an apology.

I have personally sat in Y on longhaul TPAC flights next to babies who were not only crying but also kicking and flailing. I once woke up to find a salad spilled all over my clothes because the baby next to me had knocked over a meal tray. I have never once complained about any of this because it is simply a part of commercial air travel, and if I wish to avoid it, I may enroll for a membership with Netjets. I do think in that case the parents should have apologized. But general crying is nothing to apologize for.

In case you're wondering, I have no kids of my own.
LASUA1K, drewguy and IAD1k like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And the penalty for an inflight violation of this mythical "rule book" is what, ejection from the aircraft at 35,000 feet?

This is what you get when seniority is the #1 criterion for FA route assignments.
BearX220, SS255, robbeck1 and 16 others like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
And the penalty for an inflight violation of this mythical "rule book" is what, ejection from the aircraft at 35,000 feet?

This is what you get when seniority is the #1 criterion for FA route assignments.
A roll of duck tape.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Well, it's either the baby or the infant that must be chucked out the window. My vote goes for the FA.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: British Airways Gold

This is what you get when US law gives flight attendants sweeping unregulated powers to require passengers to follow their instructions.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I particularly liked the description of the other members of the flight crew.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Any bets that the pilot got a message from operations to go apologize?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:04 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM
A roll of duck tape.
Adhesive tape comes in smaller rolls and is easier to tear/cut without a scissors.
eric.chen3742 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Another example of the OVER empowerment of FA's. They make up laws, and if you do not follow them to the letter they threaten with arrest upon landing. There had better be severe repercussions for the FA, but I doubt that will happen. This is typical of the FA on the SYD route.
BearX220, Spiff, n198ua and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat

Relegated to the seat with a cone of silence!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Aggrieved passenger quote:

"From what I understand, United is handling the situation and ensuring that no one else ever has an experience like ours where a flight attendant makes up her own rules."

Fat chance. We have all seen lunatic FAs make up rules to bully / intimidate / coerce / discombobulate customers. Article also says the FA in question remained unrepentant despite captain and other UA people apologizing for her.

There is no mechanism for controlling, let alone removing, the minority of employees who ruin the United brand.

Last edited by BearX220; Oct 3, 2018 at 3:53 pm
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by BearX220
Aggrieved passenger quote:
There is no mechanism for controlling, let alone removing, the minority of employees who ruin the United brand.
The Unions are too strong and won't allow firing for an FA just "following the law".
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
A roll of duck tape.
how barbaric!
dont you know that these days airplanes come with soundproof overhead bins?
Lori_Q, chavala and eric.chen3742 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
The Unions are too strong and won't allow firing for an FA just "following the law".
What law? If there was any such law, it would be all over FT, if nowhere else.

+1 for retraining/firing of the FA.
gregoryad likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Read this article this morning in the Australian press and of course came to FT as knew there would be a thread.

I think the FA (in question) underestimated the protective instincts of a mother and their young offspring. No mother wants her child crying and in an enclosed space like a plane will do everything to comfort the child. My son first flew (in coach) at four months of age and crying was limited and the only way they can communicate at that age. Kudos to United for trying to do the right thing and apologize and refund the ticket.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...51cbcb4460257e

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.