Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FA on SYD-SFO insists 'rule book' prohibits babies from crying 'for more than 5 mins'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA on SYD-SFO insists 'rule book' prohibits babies from crying 'for more than 5 mins'

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:28 pm

I like children. I don't like screaming children. I can never recall a screaming adult on my flights. I can remember at least one screaming child. I shouldn't have to fly private to get away from screaming children. Am I sympathetic, yea, I guess I am. But that doesn't mean I enjoy listening to a kid screaming for hours, which has happened to me.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
For once, UA handles a potential bad PR problem in the right way

Maybe UA is starting to realize that potential PR problems can be headed off with prompt action. The story says it all.
https://nypost.com/2018/09/28/united...-unacceptable/
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by davie355
...I once woke up to find a salad spilled all over my clothes because the baby next to me had knocked over a meal tray. I have never once complained about any of this because it is simply a part of commercial air travel,.... I do think in that case the parents should have apologized. But general crying is nothing to apologize for....
Sorry, but IMO having salad spilled all over your clothes whether it is due to a baby, drunk passenger, turbulence, etc should never be considered "part of commercial air travel"
I think there is an general expectation that parents have a responsibility to manage their children whether successful or not. When they fail and it affects others (ie salad being spilled on clothes), I think an apology is in order at minimum. I'd say the parent should pay your dry cleaning bill as well as the parent is responsible for the child's actions. As for crying, I think duration does matter. At some point, the parent is either failing to manage the baby or there may be a problem with the baby (sickness/injury, etc). Maybe there is some FA rule/responsibility to take action if a baby is crying for a "very long" time to see medical attention is needed.

As for this specific incident, we've only really hard from one side. But at least the UA PR team is handling it.
Silver Fox and chavala like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by KDS777
Give the FA a medal.

Children under 3 have NO PLACE on board any aircraft, let alone J.

Shame on the parent.

{A}re you actually serious?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 28, 2018 at 8:34 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:06 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by eng3
Sorry, but IMO having salad spilled all over your clothes whether it is due to a baby, drunk passenger, turbulence, etc should never be considered "part of commercial air travel"
I think there is an general expectation that parents have a responsibility to manage their children whether successful or not. When they fail and it affects others (ie salad being spilled on clothes), I think an apology is in order at minimum. I'd say the parent should pay your dry cleaning bill as well as the parent is responsible for the child's actions. As for crying, I think duration does matter. At some point, the parent is either failing to manage the baby or there may be a problem with the baby (sickness/injury, etc). Maybe there is some FA rule/responsibility to take action if a baby is crying for a "very long" time to see medical attention is needed.
Believe it or not, cultural differences can also play into the situation. I lived in Japan for a while and I commented to some Japanese friends how it seemed that parents there let their kids just run wild and was advised that a popular attitude was that it was not the parents' role to educate their "little emperors" how to behave in public, that it was the role of the teachers in school. So, pre-schoolers got to run wild.

I'm not sure it's just Japan, either. On an OZ ICN-JFK flight in J I succeeded in securing a coveted window seat in the forward A380 J cabin upstairs. Only five rows, quite a nice intimate atmosphere. BUT, there was a family of Korean passengers in the middle seats with an absolutely out-of-control brat (sorry, there's no other polite way to put it) jumping up and down in the seat screeching and throwing items at other passengers, and running around the cabin doing the same. After about three hours of this, I moved back to the rear J cabin (luckily there were empty seats) and the cabin crew advised me I couldn't do that and told me to return to my assigned seat. I patiently explained the "issue" with the child and they saw absolutely no problem with how the child was behaving. After a short standoff, they let me stay at my new, blissfully quiet, seat.

I'm sympathetic to a parent with a crying infant when they are at least attempting to soothe the child, but with an older child (the above-mentioned one was about five?) I don't have a lot of tolerance for the situation.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
No such thing as bad kids, only bad parents. Possibly.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
The captain intervened. Normally when the captain becomes involved in FA and passenger disputes, it doesn't go well for the passenger as pilots usually side with the FAs. Since the captain was apologetic and appeared to sympathize with the mother (and more importantly did not divert the flight or have the mother arrested upon arrival), that leads me to believe the FA was on a power trip.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by davie355
1. UA Corporate says babies are welcome in any cabin.
2. It's illegal to enter a cabin other than your ticketed cabin on an INTL flight.
3. "Particularly rude" is the assertion in your second sentence.
So you want to make up rules too? 2
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I think the FA (in question) underestimated the protective instincts of a mother and their young offspring. No mother wants her child crying and in an enclosed space like a plane will do everything to comfort the child. My son first flew (in coach) at four months of age and crying was limited and the only way they can communicate at that age. Kudos to United for trying to do the right thing and apologize and refund the ticket.
Originally Posted by wrp96
I would modify that to say no good mother. Unfortunately there are a rare few in the obnoxious minority that ignore when their child is crying, who think that the ignore them and it will go away rule of parenting is good, etc. and encountering them in an enclosed, confined space is terrible. But even then, it's not against the law. It's just bad parenting and rude.
I agree with wrp96. I have seen all too many parents who feel like doing anything to make the child pipe down is abuse and absolutely won't do anything about it. Even babies can learn. It may take them longer to process than it would for a 5-year-old (and less than a 16-year-old) but they CAN learn without trauma or physical abuse.

Originally Posted by gmt4
I think UA refunded her because they are springloaded to take on negative PR immedately before the court of public opinion slays them.
Originally Posted by narvik
I realize that we, as flying passengers, are sometimes stressed out, but I think we need to relax a bit.
Absolutely, this litigious social media society is producing a generation of anti-social snowflakes.

Originally Posted by walkerci
Being based in Orlando, I am exposed to out of control children and their parents that simply refuse to take any corrective action, on nearly every flight.

I have seen many parents put on headphones and completely ignore their children's tantrums.

I have seen many Flight Attendants ignore the above.

Ultimately parents must control their children when they are in confined, public places.

Being a Father and Grandfather that has traveled with my own from infancy, it is easy to manage your children (most of the time) with a little bit of preparation.
Bring drinks, food, toys/games, etc. Talk to your children. When that doesn't work, Over The Counter Motion Sickness medicines will help them sleep.

That said, the FAA is failing the flying public by allowing "lap" children. This is a major safety issue.
When severe turbulence is encountered or their is an "emergency" landing, lap children become projectiles, can become severely injured or die, and can injure other passengers.

Finally, does a passenger in Business or First Class who has potentially paid upwards of $10,000 for their seat in order to enjoy a comfortable, peaceful, and quiet flight have the right to be free from screaming and kicking lap children who are essentially flying for free? Absolutely.
I'm glad that family wasn't on my flight Thursday/Friday. The mother is only half-right when she says, "He’s going to cry again and I don’t have any control over that." I'm glad to see the mother has vowed to never fly United again if her first instincts were to leave the child crying in the bassinet for 5 or more minutes and then spend $28.99 to purchase Wifi so she could whine on social media. There are times when nothing you do will pacify the baby but at least TRY. How much do you want to bet that mother and father were both plugged into the entertainment system with noise-cancelling headsets while the baby was crying?
Silver Fox and chavala like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I was on a flight this week with a baby crying continuously for half an hour or so. I was extremely thankful for it because it (partially) drowned out the three young adults who were talking extremely loudly about how miserable their lives were.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Air Houston
I was on a flight this week with a baby crying continuously for half an hour or so. I was extremely thankful for it because it (partially) drowned out the three young adults who were talking extremely loudly about how miserable their lives were.
Probably miserable because they were on a flight with a crying baby. LOL

You don't have headphones?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: UA, AS
Well, I dont fly near as much as others on here, but I've had some experiences...

I have a four year old boy. We have flown F/J with him. One time, my wife brought snack packs to give to the others adjacent to us to smooth them out in case he acted up. However, we got told by everyone essentially, "We've been there too. Kids cry, it is ok." It seems most are pretty understanding as long as you try. the story of letting the kids just run crazy would be frustrating.

A few years go I was going someplace and I was surrounded by kids under five. I think between the row in front, mine and the row behind there were five kids including a lap child adjacent to me. Worst part was the lap child. She slept the whole time, but her feet were on my lap practically. Joke was on them, they were going GEG-CDG.

On decent, the row in front of me and behind me both had screamers. Approach in front "stop crying!" Approach behind, "here, chew this...chew chew chew." The mother in front just got more and more agitated and mean. The kids didnt know any different...their ears hurt.

Worst experience ever due to another passanger was a TPA-DTW flight years ago, and it was not a kid. It was an older lady that sat in the row kitty corner to me, She smelled BAD....REALLY BAD. Cat urine bad. The family behind her had some fashion magazines and were scratching the perfume ads like crazy.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:37 am

I'm not sure why a snack from a parent makes up for a kid's bad behaviour. I just want the kid to be quiet.
tryathlete and chavala like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:30 pm

I empathize with parents on a plane. Really - the responsibility for controlling an irrational human being is a lot to ask for anyone. I think it requires an understanding from all passengers that the parent is doing their best and trying to handle the situation as best as they can. That being said - the parents really need to be trying and doing their best. A plane is not the place to be trying a new diet or sleep schedule. Parents should be prepared to be bringing every distraction they can - I don't care if you only let your child use the iPad 1 hour a day at home. If that is what makes the child stop crying you need to bring it out for as long as possible. If your child is inconsolable be prepared to spend a long time in the lavatory. I have all the sympathy in the world for a parent traveling with kids - seriously, it looks like an awful task and we should not hold them to the same standards we would of business travelers. BUT, they need to be a continuous, actively involved part of keeping their kids calm and quiet. If your kid is screaming and you are not trying to address the situation - that is on YOU. If you are trying and the kid is still making a fuss, that's life.
BearX220, leonidas, narvik and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:26 pm

Well said Guy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.