Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2023, 5:47 pm

Just curious...

Persons with disabilities (persons needing a few extra minutes), active members of the military, etc.

I see a passenger requiring extra time board with an entire family. I see a 'two and under' with entire families.

At LGA today, a passenger boarded first, roller bag, large backpack, and some sort of large bag attached to the roller bag, and no obvious disability. Likely not military. And not GS or 1K as today's FAs had a printed list of the four GS' and 1Ks and thanked those people individually.

Being a bit facetious, what happens if I chose to board with those needing a bit of extra time, other than being dishonest?
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Originally Posted by lamphs
Just curious...

Persons with disabilities (persons needing a few extra minutes), active members of the military, etc.

I see a passenger requiring extra time board with an entire family. I see a 'two and under' with entire families.

At LGA today, a passenger boarded first, roller bag, large backpack, and some sort of large bag attached to the roller bag, and no obvious disability. Likely not military. And not GS or 1K as today's FAs had a printed list of the four GS' and 1Ks and thanked those people individually.

Being a bit facetious, what happens if I chose to board with those needing a bit of extra time, other than being dishonest?
I understand that Delta's policy with this is GAs are not allowed to question you if you need to board with passengers requiring extra times, I believe its the same deal with United?
lamphs likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:38 pm

At LGA today, a passenger boarded first, roller bag, large backpack, and some sort of large bag attached to the roller bag, and no obvious disability.
In order to avoid being out of compliance with Air Carrier Access Act, UA and other airlines will not question the authenticity or make an interpretation of the legitimacy of someone's disability when they self identify as needing assistance.. Plenty of people can have disabilities that aren't externally apparent. As far as UA is concerned they don't care to know the specific details of what the disability is but rather their focus is on what type of accommodation the passenger needs and if/how UA can provide it.
SFO 1K, SPN Lifer, wxguy and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Nothing.
lamphs and itripreport like this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
On a recent trip from east coast to west coast, with a nested west coast to Hawaii mileage run. As usual to my crazy travel patterns, and true to form as a free agent:

UA EWR to LAX
DL LAX to SJC
AS SJC to and from Hawaii
B6 SJC to JFK
JetBlue boarded the transcon flight in under 20 minutes (scheduled for 20 minutes); Delta's was a regional flight, and fully boarded in under 10 minutes. Alaska's back-to-back were both scheduled for 25 minutes, and both completed under. All flights were full or substantially full.

Leave it to United to have the longest scheduled boarding time (35 minutes), longest actual boarding time (almost an hour), most chaotic boarding area. No one, and I mean no one on the Delta flight stepped into the boarding lane until group was called by the gate agent.

I observe most airlines don't have boarding lanes stretch a mile long (exaggeration) like UA. Also differentiate with at most two lanes (elite and non-elite) only despite officially having multiple groups within each group. I am not saying United needs to copy, but the current boarding process is not working. Simplified the process for a better customer experience, but that is asking for a lot, I know...
Old Apr 25, 2023, 9:17 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Spotted this in SFO - a dedicated boarding lane for pre-boarders.

Xyzzy, narvik, chavala and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Nothing.
I just stood next to two business travelers who pre-boarded with the Disabilities group. They had a conversation about the boarding process and one of the two said they can’t challenge you, why wait for group 2?
Old Apr 25, 2023, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by limey1K
I just stood next to two business travelers who pre-boarded with the Disabilities group. They had a conversation about the boarding process and one of the two said they can’t challenge you, why wait for group 2?
This just goes back to the real source of boarding problems. It's not the process, it's the passengers.
uanj likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
This just goes back to the real source of boarding problems. It's not the process, it's the passengers.
It's the gate agents who let them get away with this
Repooc17 and benewr like this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
"My disability is that I can't fllow directions!"
uanj likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
GA for EWR-LHR last Thursday skipped calling GS & when they called 1K, I proceeded & scanned my BP & said "Global Services?" The GA response was, "I already called Globals". Lololol...
Old Apr 25, 2023, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
as expected boarding was perfectly sequenced on our recent flight home from HND. Of course I would expect nothing less in Japan. The preboard and Group1 lines were longer than I expected, maybe an indication of who is traveling now.

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Perhaps the delivery could be better, but if it's the latter, your companion had one too many carry-on bags per policy. GS is not exempt from this policy.
oh please. I technically had 4 carry on bags at HND and not a peep from any of the staff. Of course they all easily fit in my biz class overhead bin as they always do, with plenty of space for all my neighbors. This is how it should be, rather than idiotic adherence to rules that make no sense.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Don't assume malice where ignorance is an easier explanation. For non-FlyerTalkers, I would say 99% of them have never heard of GS. They assume 1K is the top tier because that's what United advertises.
While that may be true, it is no excuse, as all their BPs would display a group #. So I tend to believe it is deliberate.

Originally Posted by DELee
Sadly very unlikely possible GA behavior at EWR.
Bingo! EWR at its finest.

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
I am out of SFO and do the flight to EWR every month. I thought I was special with GS status, but sometimes there are 15+ GS people at pre-board, and I've taken screenshots of the upgrade list 120+ long.

Several times, even using points, I won't make it into the top 8 of the upgrade list.
the # of high level elites at SFO never ceases to amaze me. IME even worse than IAH, IAD and ORD. Just too many wealthy tech bros racking up EQP on OPM.

Originally Posted by itripreport
I understand that Delta's policy with this is GAs are not allowed to question you if you need to board with passengers requiring extra times, I believe its the same deal with United?
they are not allowed to ask the nature of your disability but they can take away your exit row seat. And similarly with service dogs they can ask what service the dog provides.

Originally Posted by Kacee
This just goes back to the real source of boarding problems.
I’m not so sure. I find AA’s use of 9 groups a lot more efficient with fewer gate lice. Ditto for WNs sequential BPs.

In theory UAs system would work just fine at airports with few elites. But it just makes for a mess at hubs.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
UA EWR to LAX
DL LAX to SJC
AS SJC to and from Hawaii
B6 SJC to JFK
I'm not sure comparing the boarding times for a 737-Max 9 (AS), an A320 (B6), E175/other regional jet (DL), to what is at minimum a 752 (UA), but has potential to be a 789 or 772 is necessarily the fairest comparison.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:07 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Spotted this in SFO - a dedicated boarding lane for pre-boarders.

The fact that it says "Global service customers" makes me think it's not approved by United's marketing department.
uanj, United747 and benewr like this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 8:07 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by VFR
The fact that it says "Global service customers" makes me think it's not approved by United's marketing department.
Also no service/trade marks (that I can see)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.