Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should UA develop new hubs/focus cities?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
+1 on HNL. Offer nonstops to SE Asia/Australia and add more HNL-mainland flights to high revenue markets.
While I would love to see HNL as a hub, I doubt this will happen. The margins at HNL aren't that great, I was once told that the UA Hawaii flight margins are super low and the aircraft could be better utilized elsewhere but frequent fliers more or less expect UA to fly to Hawaii, so reducing HNL ops would be a penny wise and a pound foolish.

You also have Have to remember HA has a massive presence and I am not sure how many locals would pick UA over HA. In addition to be a true HNL hub I think UA would have to run inter-island flights in Hawaii and right now that seems to be a race to the bottom between HA and WN on those fares. While it would be great for them to fly more Asia/Australia from HNL, I doubt there are many airports that could make sense that doesn't already have a nonstop flight on another carrier.
jsloan and EWR764 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Maybe not the be-all/end-all, but UA has less hubs/focus cities than DL or AA. While
Many of UA’s hubs are in prime cities, the lesser quantity surely means that their geographic reach isn’t as great or is suboptimal - clearly most evident with the hole in the Southeast. Additionally, their most prominent hubs (EWR and SFO) go sideways when the weather gets bad - and both are limited by geography from ever contemplating expansion.
UA's most prominent hubs are ORD and IAH, by far. Just look at the numbers.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
UA's most prominent hubs are ORD and IAH, by far. Just look at the numbers.
The UA passenger numbers or marketshare by airport from BTS
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What this tells me is that UA should increase international flights from DEN
zdog2x likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Why are we discussing mainline-only market shares from BTS like it’s a meaningful representation of the airline and of the competitive nature for each of the hub markets ??
cerealmarketer likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
What this tells me is that UA should increase international flights from DEN
That chart doesn't include any UAX traffic. Wasn't UA's total ORD traffic something over 30MM passengers? More important, UA's flight totals are ~600/day at ORD and ~500/day at IAH. I think DEN is getting closer to IAH but still #3 .
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N104UA
While I would love to see HNL as a hub, I doubt this will happen. The margins at HNL aren't that great, I was once told that the UA Hawaii flight margins are super low and the aircraft could be better utilized elsewhere but frequent fliers more or less expect UA to fly to Hawaii, so reducing HNL ops would be a penny wise and a pound foolish.

You also have Have to remember HA has a massive presence and I am not sure how many locals would pick UA over HA. In addition to be a true HNL hub I think UA would have to run inter-island flights in Hawaii and right now that seems to be a race to the bottom between HA and WN on those fares. While it would be great for them to fly more Asia/Australia from HNL, I doubt there are many airports that could make sense that doesn't already have a nonstop flight on another carrier.
What data do you have HNL is "low margin"? I'm highly skeptical of that as the flights are generally 100% full and they've expanded the presence at HNL and Hawaii in general. If the aircraft could be better utilized elsewhere, seems foolish to put even more flights to HNL and just do the bare minimum like AA and DAL do.

United carries more passengers from HNL and Hawaii in general to the mainland. HA is only bigger via interisland and international. HA has a horrific frequent flier program. This notion that "locals" won't fly UA is false - locals are captive to HA (and now to a lesser extent, SWA) on interisland flights but there is not much love by locals for Hawaiian otherwise. Hawaiian has no lifetime benefits and upgrades to the equivalent of E+ are assigned at the gate (good luck with that). You get the TV and more complimentary but your companion if you have one does not. No PDE. And the complimentary food - lets not get me started on that - it like biting into a brick of sodium. Flying Hawaiian can be a nice experience for a leisure traveler - a frequent flier, of which there is many in Hawaii, is not a good deal.

UA isn't going to make HNL a hub for a few reasons. 1) I forgot the exact number, but Hawaii is somewhere around 8 straight years of record tourism. There isn't capacity to grow as new hotels aren't being built. Honolulu is taking a blind eye to AirBnB simply because it wants the money. HNL just can't handle more capacity as the inn so to speak is full. So, they'd have to go to war to expand and that is costly. 2) When the next recession hits - the party is over and it will bloody. 3) You'd have to invest and get approved for a brand new terminal to handle a "hub", it isn't going to happen.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by williambruno1975
Why are we discussing mainline-only market shares from BTS like it’s a meaningful representation of the airline and of the competitive nature for each of the hub markets ??
That chart doesn't include any UAX traffic. Wasn't UA's total ORD traffic something over 30MM passengers? More important, UA's flight totals are ~600/day at ORD and ~500/day at IAH. I think DEN is getting closer to IAH but still #3 .
If you have consistently collected data (including UX) please post, I could not find it. Data for reports from individual airports don't seem to be consistent.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:35 pm

If you have consistently collected data (including UX) please post, I could not find it. Data for reports from individual airports don't seem to be consistent.
It's all right here:

https://hub.united.com/corporate-fact-sheet/

ORD
595 flights
17.9M enplaned passengers

IAH
503 flights
16.7M enplaned passengers

DEN
429 flights
13.7M enplaned passengers

EWR
402 flights
15M enplaned passengers

SFO
291 flights
12.5M enplaned passengers

IAD
240 flights
7.5M enplaned passengers

LAX
144 flights
6.2M enplaned passengers
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:10 pm

Thanks was not aware of the data there.

Interesting differences between the BTS/mainline and the data there.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, you can view *A airport details (flight totals are weekly)
ORD (4386 UA + 64 JV -- LH, LX, NH, NZ, OS); 636 daily
IAH (3600 UA + 19 JV -- LH, NH, NZ); total 517 daily
DEN (3511 UA + 14 JV -- LH); total 504 daily
EWR (2945 UA + 28 JV -- LH, LX, OS); total 425 daily
SFO (2203 UA + 33 JV -- LH, LX, NH, NZ); total 319 daily
IAD (1879 UA + 42 JV -- LH, NH, SN, OS); total 274 daily
LAX (1105 UA + 77 JV -- LH, LX, NH, NZ, OS); total 169 daily
GUM (106 UA); total 15 daily

Some of the airports mentioned in this thread:
LGA (317 UA); total 45 daily
CLE (307 UA); total 44 daily
MCO (283 UA + 7 JV -- LH); total 41 daily
DCA (284 UA); total 41 daily
AUS (251 UA + 5 JV -- LH); total 37 daily
TPA (233 UA + 6 JV -- LH); total 34 daily
BNA (199 UA); total 28 daily
SAT (182 UA); total 26 daily
CVG (170 UA); total 24 daily
HNL (142 UA + 25 JV -- NH, NZ); total 24 daily
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

It's all right here:

https://hub.united.com/corporate-fact-sheet/

LAX
144 flights
6.2M enplaned passengers
Originally Posted by jsloan
Also, you can view *A airport details (flight totals are weekly)

LAX (1105 UA + 77 JV -- LH, LX, NH, NZ, OS); total 169 daily
Sheesh. Compete? Nope.

David
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Sheesh. Compete? Nope.

David
If you are referring to LAX, no airline has a 20% share -- LAX is interesting in there is no dominate share
4 carriers make up 60% and 10 carriers 85%

https://www.lawa.org/-/media/lawa-we...rier-2018.ashx
https://www.lawa.org/-/media/lawa-we...rrier2019.ashx
https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.asp?pn=1

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 14, 2019 at 12:59 am
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
What will be interesting is who will get the new terminal 9 at LAX. Terminal 0, which looks like a concourse on terminal 1 will be dominated by Southwest.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
What will be interesting is who will get the new terminal 9 at LAX. Terminal 0, which looks like a concourse on terminal 1 will be dominated by Southwest.
T9 is earmarked for Star Alliance, with UA as the biggest user.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.