Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should UA develop new hubs/focus cities?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
And 112 miles away from an entire concourse that UA pays $1,112,482 in rent every month for it to sit mothballed.
... sigh. I don't understand that deal -- at all. Makes no sense.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Has Delta stolen a march on United with today's announcement about expanding service in RDU and BNA? Prevents United from developing only logical hub in North Carolina? Crowds United out of BNA where AA is big? Where does Kirby/United go now if they want a southeast hub?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by manstein58
Has Delta stolen a march on United with today's announcement about expanding service in RDU and BNA? Prevents United from developing only logical hub in North Carolina? Crowds United out of BNA where AA is big? Where does Kirby/United go now if they want a southeast hub?
thats a big ‘if’. UA hasn’t shown much of an interest, IME, in expanding in the SE - if they were, they had plenty of time to do it already. Delta has most of a lock on it already, with AA better than UA there anyway. I’m just not sure they want to focus on that part of the US market.

Out of RDU, UA looks like they have a decent schedule already to their hubs (I scanned and looking at the schedule today, looks like close to 30 flights on mainline and larger regionals), and they already announced a club there a while ago.

Not sure what DLs announcement really means - are they going to do RDU-a lot of spokes nonstop? That’s not UAs style, anyway. DL also noted CVG as a ‘focus city’, which used to be an actual hub, and despite their PR to try and reclaim it, they used to be at something like over 600 flights a day, and I don’t know what they are at now, but it was down at about 100 at some point not that long ago, and don’t think they’ve really been expanding. Wonder if this ‘focus city’ talk is a way to bring PR to some of their markets, some of which they were expanding already vs. a wholesale change in anything.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
I believe NW had established the focus city at RDU (along with IND and MKE IIRC) pre-DL acquisition. That never really went away, maybe never grew a whole lot either. It seems that the battle for RDU is really between AA who wants to protect their CLT fortress hub and DL who wants to maintain their dominance in the southeast.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Forget focus cities, United needs to build out its domestic connecting hubs first... I'd rather see resources (airplanes) go into two things:

(1) adding flights/banks at DEN/IAH/IAD, where there is capacity, so UA is more competitive with business-oriented schedules from non-hubs. With some regularity, I find myself on AA or DL metal coming from smaller or medium-size cities because they have better-timed flights or shorter connections over ATL/DFW/CLT to get me where I need to be. I live near a hub and do business in most of United's hubs, so those schedules work better than anyone else, but in non-hub cities, where there's no dominant carrier or nonstop Southwest option, I think it's still a good bet that United will have the fewest flights, most circuitous routings and longest layovers as compared to AA/DL. UA is doing a better job than before, but there's still a long way to go, as a lot of the frequency growth has been UAX, which brings me to my next point...

(2) replacing UAX with mainline; this requires no explanation. AA and DL are still substantially more mainline, across the board, than United. Especially in small to medium-size cities.

Much of Delta's focus city growth will be regional as its small narrowbody (A220/717) frees up some excess DCI capacity to deploy in other opportunistic markets.
UA_Flyer and Boofer like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
UA has a few "focus" cities (BOS, FLL, AUS, SEA) that see a great deal more traffic than other spokes. I don't see them adding more, though certainly could re-hublette CLE...
FreqFlyerCLE likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by entropy
UA has a few "focus" cities (BOS, FLL, AUS, SEA) that see a great deal more traffic than other spokes. I don't see them adding more, though certainly could re-hublette CLE...
To some extent, CLE is a focus city for UA. I count something like a half dozen non-hub destinations.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RDU has been a focus city for DL for sometime now and is not new. See, for example, the following --
https://s2.q4cdn.com/181345880/files...r-Day_2017.pdf

BNA and SJC are new mentions by DL. NW had focus cities in MKE and IND at various times (but not RDU).
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
No - but more connectivity between endpoints and hubs would be good. Eg more cities that have daily nonstops to all the domestic hubs (except GUM)

INTL more endpoints, SGN and BKK being my top 2.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
(1) adding flights/banks at DEN/IAH/IAD, where there is capacity, so UA is more competitive with business-oriented schedules from non-hubs. With some regularity, I find myself on AA or DL metal coming from smaller or medium-size cities because they have better-timed flights or shorter connections over ATL/DFW/CLT to get me where I need to be. I live near a hub and do business in most of United's hubs, so those schedules work better than anyone else, but in non-hub cities, where there's no dominant carrier or nonstop Southwest option, I think it's still a good bet that United will have the fewest flights, most circuitous routings and longest layovers as compared to AA/DL. UA is doing a better job than before, but there's still a long way to go, as a lot of the frequency growth has been UAX, which brings me to my next point...
I thought UA had already re-banked DEN, ORD (and maybe IAH) - thought Kirby had mentioned it some time ago and it was already being implemented.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I thought UA had already re-banked DEN, ORD (and maybe IAH) - thought Kirby had mentioned it some time ago and it was already being implemented.
UA returned to a banked schedule at DEN/ORD/IAH, but I'm talking about adding departure banks (greater frequency) to improve connectivity and schedules at outstations to compete with AA/DL. Both have more full-scale departure banks (DFW/CLT/ATL, mostly) than UA does at its hubs, with the result being better schedules at smaller points of origin.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
Forget focus cities, United needs to build out its domestic connecting hubs first... I'd rather see resources (airplanes) go into two things:

(2) replacing UAX with mainline; this requires no explanation. AA and DL are still substantially more mainline, across the board, than United. Especially in small to medium-size cities.

Much of Delta's focus city growth will be regional as its small narrowbody (A220/717) frees up some excess DCI capacity to deploy in other opportunistic markets.
+1. UA needs to concentrate on strengthening flow over its - well placed - hubs. UA has the best hub locations by far of the US3, in larger cities than its competitors, and yet is flying 165 CRJ200s and 178 ERJ145s. Delta only has 131 CRJ200s. Given a choice of connecting over a UA hub onto a CRJ200/ERJ145 or over a DL hub onto a larger/more comfortable plane, its no contest.

Delta is going into secondary markets with large amounts of business traffic because they have the aircraft (A220/B717, lots of larger RJs) to provide a better experience. A few used A319s at UA are just not going to move the equation though.
UA_Flyer and manstein58 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LordHamster
They should re-hub CLE
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Not a surprising opinion for someone based in Cleveland, Ohio.
You all really need to let CLE go. It’s almost always at the top of the Midwest Destination board. It isn’t coming back. Time to move on.
am1108 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by spin88
UA has the best hub locations by far of the US3, in larger cities than its competitors
Ah I see, so we are going to overlook the fact that AA has hubs in 7 of the top 8 largest Metropolitan Areas. Not to mention, JFK and LAX are the two largest O&D centers in the country, one of which UA doesn't serve and the second, if you are trying to go east of the Mississippi the UA LAX "hub" is severely underserved.

All in all, if you are comparing DL and UA, UA has hubs in larger cities. But comparing UA to AA, UA does not "by far" have the best hub locations, especially considering UA has hubs in slightly fewer markets and sometimes hubs at airports that some may view as less ideal.(IAD vs. DCA, EWR vs. LGA)
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
Ah I see, so we are going to overlook the fact that AA has hubs in 7 of the top 8 largest Metropolitan Areas. Not to mention, JFK and LAX are the two largest O&D centers in the country, one of which UA doesn't serve and the second, if you are trying to go east of the Mississippi the UA LAX "hub" is severely underserved.

All in all, if you are comparing DL and UA, UA has hubs in larger cities. But comparing UA to AA, UA does not "by far" have the best hub locations, especially considering UA has hubs in slightly fewer markets and sometimes hubs at airports that some may view as less ideal.(IAD vs. DCA, EWR vs. LGA)
Are you really citing JFK as an example of a hub where AA's operation should be viewed favorably, especially in comparison to UA at EWR? AA is a mere shell of itself there and outside of LHR/LAX/SFO, JFK serves a continually diminishing purpose in AA's network. UA constantly catches heat for reducing LAX, but the truth is, United is far more committed to LAX than AA is to JFK.

I also find it strange that you cite UA's network limitations out of LAX and then point to DCA as an example of a more desirable AA hub. DCA is fantastic for Washington local traffic, but in terms of facilities, network and airspace constraints, it's a pretty crappy *hub*.

OTOH, DFW and CLT are two examples of hubs United doesn't have (in terms of frequencies and connectivity), that IMO it really needs to develop. Delta has ATL, but I would argue AA's structural advantage is that it has two such hubs, especially DFW, with a massive, growing and lucrative local market. AA's biggest problem right now is that it does not run a good operation... much like UA circa 2012-2015.
Billygreg, seat38a and findark like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.