Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with GPU-eligible fare to SGN

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
... gives me a WLRCVAO fare when searching o/w. I've been toying with forcing a r/t in ITA via SFO/HKG but I can't seem to make it work on one itin.
That appears to be an actual one-way-only fare, which is very rare...

Many fares are "one-way", but two of these can normally be combined to form a "round trip".

However this one is a one-way fare :
ONE WAY ADVANCE PURCHASE FARES W
APPLIES FOR ONE WAY FARES
But is explicitly excludes being combined to form a round trip :
Category 10: Combinability
SINGLE/DOUBLE OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS NOT
PERMITTED.
Searching for two one-way trip and then trying to combine them is rarely the best way to find a round-trip combination - especially for international trips. Normally that's because the price will be lower for a single round-trip, but non-combinable fares like you've found here is another reason...
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
To get some more options, you can also use :

AUS:: UA+ ? /f bc=w bc=v bc=q
SGN:: ? UA+ /f bc=w bc=v bc=q

This will show you some routing via ORD, as well as some options on NH.

Occasionally you'll find V fares that are cheaper than W, so it's worth including it in the searches, although his time it does look like W is the lowest.
I normally include all of the eligible fare codes, because I'd rather see a possible connection with an expensive fare class, so that I can investigate to see why it's expensive and if there's a workaround, than have it suppressed.

Note that there are supposed to be vertical bar characters between the BCs, but they're being stripped by the forum software. (Shift-\ on a US keyboard layout).

But is explicitly excludes being combined to form a round trip :
Agreed; that's probably what the OP was running into when trying to construct this originally. However, the round-trip W fares seem to be filed at about the same price point.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
I normally include all of the eligible fare codes, because I'd rather see a possible connection with an expensive fare class, so that I can investigate to see why it's expensive and if there's a workaround, than have it suppressed.
Fair point (fare point?). I booked a SFO-SYD-BNE-SYD-SFO trip recently. I'd originally been lazy and checked the prices in W only. Then I looked it up on the UA website and it found what I wanted for a cheaper fare - at which point I discovered it was in V, and V was cheaper than W. It's also not uncommon for no W fare to be booked for certain routes.

Note that there are supposed to be vertical bar characters between the BCs, but they're being stripped by the forum software. (Shift-\ on a US keyboard layout).
Not sure if that was the form software or a cut-n-paste error, but editing the post and putting them back in done appear to have worked. Thanks for pointing it out!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if that was the form software or a cut-n-paste error, but editing the post and putting them back in done appear to have worked. Thanks for pointing it out!
No problem. It was definitely the software, because I originally had all of the eligible fare classes in my post, and then the same thing happened to mine, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I just took out all of the classes except W.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
The return is SGN-HKG-SFO-AUS on 13 Jan (HX539/UA862/UA701) which gives me a WLRCVAO fare when searching o/w. I've been toying with forcing a r/t in ITA via SFO/HKG but I can't seem to make it work on one itin.
I get a roundtrip fare of $1383.21 on ITA Matrix, using WLX3ZUJG on the outbound and WLW05UJA on the return.

The search I did was:
UA SFO UA HKG HX // f bc=w on the outbound, and
HX HKG UA SFO UA // f bc=w on the return.
As noted, the WLRCVAO fare is for the SGN market, and needs to be on a PNR with an origin in SE Asia. You cannot combine it into a round-trip on a single US-origin PNR. You should use whichever of that or jsloan's solutions costs less unless there is some significant benefit to making them on the same ticket.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
As noted, the WLRCVAO fare is for the SGN market, and needs to be on a PNR with an origin in SE Asia. You cannot combine it into a round-trip on a single US-origin PNR. You should use whichever of that or jsloan's solutions costs less unless there is some significant benefit to making them on the same ticket.
Copy that - waiting for my GPUs to hit my account and will book on one ticket for simplicity.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair point (fare point?). I booked a SFO-SYD-BNE-SYD-SFO trip recently. I'd originally been lazy and checked the prices in W only. Then I looked it up on the UA website and it found what I wanted for a cheaper fare - at which point I discovered it was in V, and V was cheaper than W. It's also not uncommon for no W fare to be booked for certain routes.

No problem. It was definitely the software, because I originally had all of the eligible fare classes in my post, and then the same thing happened to mine, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I just took out all of the classes except W.
My current (if somewhat imprecise) understanding of the forum software is that the standard 'reply' form applies a relatively heavy interpretation to the text entered, so formatting special characters may wind up being stripped without warning, but the 'edit' and 'preview' forms do less second guessing. I think there are some more nuances, but I can't recall them; it's unfortunate that there's no clear visual cue as to which behaviour you'll get, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.