Help with GPU-eligible fare to SGN

Reply

Old Sep 8, 18, 11:07 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 6,772
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper View Post
... gives me a WLRCVAO fare when searching o/w. I've been toying with forcing a r/t in ITA via SFO/HKG but I can't seem to make it work on one itin.
That appears to be an actual one-way-only fare, which is very rare...

Many fares are "one-way", but two of these can normally be combined to form a "round trip".

However this one is a one-way fare :
ONE WAY ADVANCE PURCHASE FARES W
APPLIES FOR ONE WAY FARES
But is explicitly excludes being combined to form a round trip :
Category 10: Combinability
SINGLE/DOUBLE OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS NOT
PERMITTED.
Searching for two one-way trip and then trying to combine them is rarely the best way to find a round-trip combination - especially for international trips. Normally that's because the price will be lower for a single round-trip, but non-combinable fares like you've found here is another reason...
docbert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 18, 11:08 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 9,105
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
To get some more options, you can also use :

AUS:: UA+ ? /f bc=w bc=v bc=q
SGN:: ? UA+ /f bc=w bc=v bc=q

This will show you some routing via ORD, as well as some options on NH.

Occasionally you'll find V fares that are cheaper than W, so it's worth including it in the searches, although his time it does look like W is the lowest.
I normally include all of the eligible fare codes, because I'd rather see a possible connection with an expensive fare class, so that I can investigate to see why it's expensive and if there's a workaround, than have it suppressed.

Note that there are supposed to be vertical bar characters between the BCs, but they're being stripped by the forum software. (Shift-\ on a US keyboard layout).

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
But is explicitly excludes being combined to form a round trip :
Agreed; that's probably what the OP was running into when trying to construct this originally. However, the round-trip W fares seem to be filed at about the same price point.
jsloan is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 18, 11:15 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 6,772
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I normally include all of the eligible fare codes, because I'd rather see a possible connection with an expensive fare class, so that I can investigate to see why it's expensive and if there's a workaround, than have it suppressed.
Fair point (fare point?). I booked a SFO-SYD-BNE-SYD-SFO trip recently. I'd originally been lazy and checked the prices in W only. Then I looked it up on the UA website and it found what I wanted for a cheaper fare - at which point I discovered it was in V, and V was cheaper than W. It's also not uncommon for no W fare to be booked for certain routes.

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Note that there are supposed to be vertical bar characters between the BCs, but they're being stripped by the forum software. (Shift-\ on a US keyboard layout).
Not sure if that was the form software or a cut-n-paste error, but editing the post and putting them back in done appear to have worked. Thanks for pointing it out!
docbert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 18, 11:22 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 9,105
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Not sure if that was the form software or a cut-n-paste error, but editing the post and putting them back in done appear to have worked. Thanks for pointing it out!
No problem. It was definitely the software, because I originally had all of the eligible fare classes in my post, and then the same thing happened to mine, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I just took out all of the classes except W.
jsloan is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 18, 11:53 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 8,941
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper View Post
The return is SGN-HKG-SFO-AUS on 13 Jan (HX539/UA862/UA701) which gives me a WLRCVAO fare when searching o/w. I've been toying with forcing a r/t in ITA via SFO/HKG but I can't seem to make it work on one itin.
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I get a roundtrip fare of $1383.21 on ITA Matrix, using WLX3ZUJG on the outbound and WLW05UJA on the return.

The search I did was:
UA SFO UA HKG HX // f bc=w on the outbound, and
HX HKG UA SFO UA // f bc=w on the return.
As noted, the WLRCVAO fare is for the SGN market, and needs to be on a PNR with an origin in SE Asia. You cannot combine it into a round-trip on a single US-origin PNR. You should use whichever of that or jsloan's solutions costs less unless there is some significant benefit to making them on the same ticket.
findark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 18, 9:16 am
  #21  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In between
Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 540
Originally Posted by findark View Post
As noted, the WLRCVAO fare is for the SGN market, and needs to be on a PNR with an origin in SE Asia. You cannot combine it into a round-trip on a single US-origin PNR. You should use whichever of that or jsloan's solutions costs less unless there is some significant benefit to making them on the same ticket.
Copy that - waiting for my GPUs to hit my account and will book on one ticket for simplicity.
timezone_trooper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 18, 9:38 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,127
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Fair point (fare point?). I booked a SFO-SYD-BNE-SYD-SFO trip recently. I'd originally been lazy and checked the prices in W only. Then I looked it up on the UA website and it found what I wanted for a cheaper fare - at which point I discovered it was in V, and V was cheaper than W. It's also not uncommon for no W fare to be booked for certain routes.



Not sure if that was the form software or a cut-n-paste error, but editing the post and putting them back in done appear to have worked. Thanks for pointing it out!
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
No problem. It was definitely the software, because I originally had all of the eligible fare classes in my post, and then the same thing happened to mine, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I just took out all of the classes except W.
My current (if somewhat imprecise) understanding of the forum software is that the standard 'reply' form applies a relatively heavy interpretation to the text entered, so formatting special characters may wind up being stripped without warning, but the 'edit' and 'preview' forms do less second guessing. I think there are some more nuances, but I can't recall them; it's unfortunate that there's no clear visual cue as to which behaviour you'll get, though.
fumje is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread