Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bigwings8
Major differences between 1K and Plat (as of 12/01/2017)
1Ks
  • Earning initially 2 additional RPUs and 6 GPUs (can earn more)
  • Priority for premium cabin meal choices
  • Free drink and food item if in economy on North American flights
  • Higher waitlist priority for upgrades,
  • Waitlisting for Instant Upgrades if on Y/B/M fares (for CPU eligible flights) and clears into PN
  • No close in 60 day change fees for awards
  • Higher earning rate for RDMs (11 vs 9)
  • While part of BG1, 1Ks can pre-board after GSs and families with a child 2 or younger [[i]note: Starting Sept 18, 2018, 1Ks are in a "preboarding" group after GS and other special needs pax instead of BG1; Plat remains in BG1, which also includes Gold and First/Biz pax without status to preboard]
  • 1K 1-call and 1Kvoice email address customer service
One consideration and "advantage" of Plat is it is the highest level that qualifies for PQD credit card waiver

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2017 Consolidated]
[Consolidated"I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2016 Consolidated]
is 1k-status really worth all that more than platinum?
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott LTT
This isn't exactly the correct forum for this, so to add to this forum I think the GPU's are worth getting to 1K for, but I think they will be devalued by the "Premium Economy" seats, if I understand correctly that's what a GPU will get you if they are on your plane.

Anyway, I win the prize I think this year, I flew what was going to be my last trip and I'm at 120K miles or so, and $11985 in spend. Cheapest flight I could find before the end of the year to anywhere from where I am, SBA, is $300. I think it's worth it.

I'm really regretting a AA flight I took earlier this year, from SBA. They go to PHX from here, when they were America Worst and then US Airways I was 0/8 on getting to the city I was going to on the day I was to get there through PHX.

American offered a status challenge so I took it, and promptly went 0/9. And done, didn't do the status match. (They and UAL are really the only choices aside from specific destinations here).
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: UA PG, IHG Diamond Amb
Do UA ever give courtesy PQMs, for example if i am 600 miles short of retaining 1K?
I'm not US based so the main benefits are Award changes and refunds up to the last minute and 1K hotline is really helpful.
Does it help that i have a ticket booked for early January?

Last edited by thedon; Dec 18, 2018 at 5:40 am Reason: Add more info
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Congratulations. 1K has significant differences to Platinum.

3. Free drink and free meal when sitting E/E+. Food is often better than that offered in FC.
Does this apply to (non-1K) companions traveling with you?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mncnc

Anyway, I win the prize I think this year, I flew what was going to be my last trip and I'm at 120K miles or so, and $11985 in spend. Cheapest flight I could find before the end of the year to anywhere from where I am, SBA, is $300. I think it's worth it.
is the prize for closest without going under? Because I'll end at $12143 (and about 108k miles).
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mncnc
This isn't exactly the correct forum for this, so to add to this forum I think the GPU's are worth getting to 1K for, but I think they will be devalued by the "Premium Economy" seats, if I understand correctly that's what a GPU will get you if they are on your plane.
Not exactly. You can use them for premium economy or business. You choose at the time you apply the instrument. Or you can list for both.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
technically no, but sometimes the attendant lets it slide. once she even let it slide for me, my wife, and the stranger sitting next to us
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:07 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
is the prize for closest without going under? Because I'll end at $12143 (and about 108k miles).
PQD golf! I think I'll have you pipped at ~103k and $12130
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by thedon
Do UA ever give courtesy PQMs, for example if i am 600 miles short of retaining 1K?
I'm not US based so the main benefits are Award changes and refunds up to the last minute and 1K hotline is really helpful.
Yes. However, 600 PQM is a lot (most stories are more like 50 or 100 short) and without a guarantee or a policy that's a big gamble to take.

No, but many crews have very lenient interpretations of the policy.

Last year I had to run for the dollars, so I finished with 12,005 PQD (and 108,953 PQM). However, I feel like there is probably somewhere out there with 12k exactly. The real question is who spent the fewest actual $$$ to reach that PQD.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
At 600PQM short I'd say the best you can hope for is a buy-up offer in January. Tickets booked fr January are not going to help.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
PQD golf! I think I'll have you pipped at ~103k and $12130
If everything credits correctly, I'll finish at $12,020 this year. Cutting it close! No way I can hit 15k next year.
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
If everything credits correctly, I'll finish at $12,020 this year. Cutting it close! No way I can hit 15k next year.
I was anticipating having to find a last minute PQD/PQM run, but had a last minute booking pop up tomorrow. On track to end at 100,547 PQM and $12,011 PQD
artvandalay, drewguy and BThumme like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Do UA ever give courtesy PQMs, for example if i am 600 miles short of retaining 1K? ...
There is a thread for that
Will UA Grant 2019 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2018?
See that thread's wiki for pointers to past successful cases.

The sure solution, if flying is not an option and you have the PQDs, see Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott LTT
Well, I made it up. I couldn't believe it, I wasn't paying a lot of attention, I thought I'd be over the threshold, and.....$15 under. I guess I would say either side, what you did was pretty impressive in a good way, me not so much. Of course next year add $3K.

To the poster above I don't think they'll give you anything. I'm not counting on getting $15:-)
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
If you are close it definitely is worth it. My nummbers will be 22K in spend, but I will hit 100022 miles. Being a domestic traveler with a yearly family international flight it makes it hard to get 100K miles. But the GPU’s are def worth it for me on that once a year flight.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by adams828
I was anticipating having to find a last minute PQD/PQM run, but had a last minute booking pop up tomorrow. On track to end at 100,547 PQM and $12,011 PQD
I was 13K+ over on PQM's, but I ended the year at $12,003 PQD's. I had to do some slipping and sliding with my last 3 booked flights to find the right combination to take me over! I do plan to stretch to $15K for 2019, because I still think that 1K is worth it -- at least for now. Last year or the year before I got to about $14K, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
Kacee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.