Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
so i booked row 19 on PP 773 aircraft months ago
Now row 19 is "disappearing"
Why isnt united preserving those in row 19 to be bumped back one row
as well as other PP passengers just reassigned one row back?

Seems those in row 19 are just being reassigned anywhere
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by boycruz
Seems those in row 19 are just being reassigned anywhere
From reports it seems anyone in the first three rows can end up anywhere -- there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the re-assignment of anyome in the first three rows.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
From reports it seems anyone in the first three rows can end up anywhere -- there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the re-assignment of anyome in the first three rows.
Did some research

If i book a route that is serviced by 773 aircraft over 3 days in future from today PP shows rows 19/20/21 and econ plus starts row 24
Within 3 days the seat maps change to PP as rows 20/21/22 and econ plus starts rows 30

wonder why this wasnt done when the retrofit was done ?

so odd
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by boycruz
Did some research

If i book a route that is serviced by 773 aircraft over 3 days in future from today PP shows rows 19/20/21 and econ plus starts row 24
Within 3 days the seat maps change to PP as rows 20/21/22 and econ plus starts rows 30

wonder why this wasnt done when the retrofit was done ?

so odd
just like someone said upthread, WATCH IT LIKE A HAWK. It appears to rollover as soon as midnight central when an aircraft is assigned and it appears on the flight status date.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by FeiTaipei
I am two weeks out for a SFO-TPE fight wanting to maximize my chance of getting a PP seat. I have to pay for E+ as I have no status with UA. Would it be advantageous to select/buy a seat in rows 19-21 and hope when it changes to a PP config'ed aircraft it sticks? Or is it a crapshoot what happens and I may be out $$$ and get re-assigned to regular E?
The Polaris 772’s have a total of 70 E+ and PP seats, while the former three class config has 113 E+. So on a full flight with a polarisized bird, up to 43 people could be booted to E. I have not seen any reports of how UA chooses to reassign to the back, and yes, it appears to be a crapshoot. If you pay for E+ and are involuntarily reassigned to E, UA should refund you, but I don’t know if it happens automatically.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Mileageplus
Originally Posted by prometa

The Polaris 772’s have a total of 70 E+ and PP seats, while the former three class config has 113 E+. So on a full flight with a polarisized bird, up to 43 people could be booted to E. I have not seen any reports of how UA chooses to reassign to the back, and yes, it appears to be a crapshoot. If you pay for E+ and are involuntarily reassigned to E, UA should refund you, but I don’t know if it happens automatically.
Thanks I’m actually flying a 777-300ER and either I’m getting PP aircraft or the regular non PP one. I bought a seat in row 20 hoping it sticks if and when the aircraft swap happens and I got a PP aircraft. If not, I guess I could be booted even to a E- seat, which I think I would call to ask what my options are.

Has anyone tried getting a refund of an E+ purchase for an aircraft swap and you don’t like your seat assignment (say it’s not in the mini cabin and there aren’t any more seats there) and you don’t like any of the other E+ seats available, could you get put in regular E- and get a refund for paying for E+? Or if the new seat you want costs more, could they assign it to you with no extra charge due to an equipment swap? I guess it depends on what agent you get on the phone. I’ve had it happen to me for IRROPS and my flight was completely cancelled, they gave me E+ the entire way without changing extra (see post #320 on this forum for the whole story https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...merged-22.html )
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So I am within the 72 hour twilight zone and just went from 20J to 31J. This nonsense is really getting boring now and of course watchitlikeahawk is in overdrive now. And the app still gives the "Sorry, cant display seatmap...." which is a right royal pain in the arse for when I am away from the laptop.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Sorry if I missed this upthread, but does anyone have a sense for what happens to post 1 April reservations that are currently showing a non PE 772 seat map if an aircraft switch does occur? I'm currently in 21K, and hope that would stick, but I guess since it's a new class of service at that point that it may not? Someone would have to fill those seats, and it's unlikely that they'll have sold very many given that PE is not available on the current aircraft. Route is SFO-LHR.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So, although I am unable to display the seat map from "My trips" and then clicking on "Change Seats" as I get the daft message about seatmap being unavailable, I have found that if I go into Flight Status and put the flight number and date in I can see the seatmap which, of course, means I can see what configuration it is. It's not perfect and I cannot change it but at least I don't have to watchitlikeahawk on the laptop and can always ring up should it change, or make a mad dash for the laptop/or try via the website via my mobile.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger
Sorry if I missed this upthread, but does anyone have a sense for what happens to post 1 April reservations that are currently showing a non PE 772 seat map if an aircraft switch does occur? I'm currently in 21K, and hope that would stick, but I guess since it's a new class of service at that point that it may not? Someone would have to fill those seats, and it's unlikely that they'll have sold very many given that PE is not available on the current aircraft. Route is SFO-LHR.
If UA is selling PE on the route, the aircraft will have those seats (and they should be bookable in advance) barring IRROPS and downgrade compensation. Typically, if an aircraft has a higher tier hard product than the route normally has (lay flat 752 on a non PS route or a Polaris plane flying domestically), the extra hard product is sold as whatever the route normally has, but without the soft product. So, if you ended up with a PE plane on a non PE route, the seats would probably go as they do now: E+ seats at E+ prices, but without the free drinks and better food PE gets on “real” PE routes.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:03 pm

If I have seat 21A on a plane that still shows Rows 19-21, do I end up in 21A regardless of whether there is PP or not? Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by daisyatl
If I have seat 21A on a plane that still shows Rows 19-21, do I end up in 21A regardless of whether there is PP or not? Thanks!
Not necessarily. Some passengers have kept the same seat number. Some passengers have found themselves in Row 32 or any other row. You can only hope that if they changed your seat that your original seat number is still available and you can switch back.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
In 2019, longhaul HKG-USA 77W seats were available for advance selection in the PP cabin, but became unselectable and pax were kicked out shortly before departure.

You could ask for any unclaimed seats in rows 20-22 *at the gate* only. By phone they were unavailable (blocked), and at the checkin desk they were available for 1Ks only.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by mherdeg; May 2, 2023 at 9:01 am
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium
777-200 IAD-SFO on April 12

I'm booked on UA 340 on April 12th from IAD to SFO. The seat map is showing an updated 777-200 with the new Polaris and Premium Plus seats.

My traveling companion and I are in two of the middle seats in the 4 across Premium Plus seats that are bookable as standard E+.

One of the seats is an F seat which does not exist on the old version of this plane.

How confident should I be we'll actually be on the updated plane? I've not noticed UA using the updated seat map this far out on my other flights.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Irish93DCA
I'm booked on UA 340 on April 12th from IAD to SFO. The seat map is showing an updated 777-200 with the new Polaris and Premium Plus seats.

My traveling companion and I are in two of the middle seats in the 4 across Premium Plus seats that are bookable as standard E+.

One of the seats is an F seat which does not exist on the old version of this plane.

How confident should I be we'll actually be on the updated plane? I've not noticed UA using the updated seat map this far out on my other flights.
You will really only know a few days before. Though I have even experienced a same day swap on the IAD-SFO 777-200 routings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.