Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Corporate Preferred (upgrade tiebreaker) / new 'preferred' seating section

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Strengthens Commitment to Top Corporate Customers with Launch of United Corporate Preferred

New exclusive program provides multi-level benefits to airline's top business travelers

SAN DIEGO, Aug. 13, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today debuted United Corporate Preferred, the industry's newest corporate travel program designed to offer top travel benefits to the airline's most loyal business customers. United announced the new program this morning at the Global Business Traveler Association (GBTA) Convention in San Diego.

United Corporate Preferred is a new and exclusive benefits program that provides added perks for the airline's top corporate customers. A multi-level program, United Corporate Preferred offers escalating benefits at three levels, including United Corporate Preferred, United Corporate Preferred Plus and United Corporate Preferred Elite. Eligibility for the new program is determined by a corporation's contract status, revenue contribution and loyalty with United. Eligible corporate agreements include United corporate share agreements, United PassPlus and United Meetings.

"Every day thousands of road warriors are jetting off on United to work events and business meetings all over the world," said Jake Cefolia, United's senior vice president of Worldwide Sales. "We designed our United Corporate Preferred program with the customer's entire travel experience in mind, from booking to landing, to identify opportunities to show our appreciation to our loyal business customers with a program that offers extra perks and travel benefits."

Benefits offered to all United Corporate Preferred customers include:
• Preferred upgrades – tie-breaker preferences for upgrades.
• Preferred standby – prioritization when traveling on standby for a different flight and when waitlisting for a seat in a different cabin or booking class.
• Operational adjustment protection – protection during travel interruptions, as well as seat protection to retain the same or similar seat in the event of an aircraft swap.
• Preferred discounts and offers – eligibility to receive exclusive promotions offered by both United and its partners in the near future.

Customers in the airline's new United Corporate Preferred Elite level will also receive the following:
• Additional travel waiver flexibility – when United has a travel waiver in place, customers will receive additional flexibility to adjust their travel beyond restrictions in place on the standard waiver.
• Preferred boarding – later this year, customers will receive priority boarding in group two.
• Preferred seating – later this year, customers will have access to book designated standard economy seats closer to the front of the plane.

To receive these benefits, tickets must be flown on United or United Express flights, reservations must include the customer's corporate account number at the time of booking, and the travel must be for the corporate customer's business. Companies invited to participate in United Corporate Preferred will receive a tailored webpage with information on benefits eligible to their employees. For more information on the program, visit unitedcorporatepreferred.com.
What benefits do United Corporate Preferred travelers receive?
Specific benefits are listed below. Being a multi-level program, within each benefit in tie-breaker scenarios, United Corporate Preferred Elite travelers receive the highest priority, followed by United Corporate Preferred Plus and then United Corporate Preferred.
Preferred seating FAQs

Originally Posted by alanstar
, the $9 "preferred seating" are available for free at T-24 check-in.
Refunds:
UA says
Refunds for preferred seating purchases are processed automatically after scheduled departure in the event of flight cancellation change, when travel is completed in a standard United Economy seat, or when travel is completed in a seat of equal or greater value through the purchase of a premium cabin seating offer.
and
In the event of a ticket refund or cancellation, preferred seating purchases will be automatically refunded.
If you decide to change your flight, your preferred seating purchase will be automatically refunded. If the ticket is partially used at the time of the change, only the value of unused preferred seating will be refunded.
Preferred seats access for elites
MileagePlus Premier® members will receive access to preferred seating, where available, at no additional cost.
Appears to be for entire PNR and not limited like E+ elite access.

Preferred seat refunds (changed flights, upgraded, purchased E+, ...)

Print Wikipost

New Corporate Preferred (upgrade tiebreaker) / new 'preferred' seating section

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2023, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by drewguy
Shorter/simpler:
Economy plus has extra legroom
Preferred has regular legroom but is further forward in cabin and/or not middle seats, both of which some passengers “prefer”.
And UA would prefer that you paid even more as an add-on for their "preferred" seat idea.

David
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 9:40 pm

Remind me, do preferred seats open up to select for free after check in starts?
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Remind me, do preferred seats open up to select for free after check in starts?
Only for Premier Silver.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti (Post 227)
Remind me, do preferred seats open up to select for free after check in starts? [Emphasis added.]
Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post # 228)
Only for Premier Silver.
Actually, we Premier™ Silver members can select Economy Plus™ (E+) seats upon check-in.

But you are right, MileagePlus™ General members, such as my wife, cannot move to empty Preferred seats upon until check-in, without paying a fee. Unless, of course, they are on the same passenger name record (PNR) as a Premier™ member, in which case the latter's status seating rules may apply -- depending on the number of passengers in the PNR.

Of course, they still may get lucky and be assigned a better seat, depending on what is available. Especially if travelling on a different PNR with a Premier™. But don't count on it.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Nov 17, 2023 at 5:10 pm
Old Nov 17, 2023, 7:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
E+ = Free for Gold and higher at booking, free for Silver at OLCI, otherwise a fee
Preferred -- Free at booking for all UA elites and select UA corporate customers

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 17, 2023 at 8:31 am Reason: and select UA corporate customers
Old Nov 17, 2023, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
But you are right, MileagePlus™ General members, such as my wife, cannot move to empty Preferred seats upon check-in, without paying a fee..
Pretty sure preferred seats do open for everyone (non-BE?) at check in.

Example: flight within 24 hours

Compared to the return on the same PNR next week which does still want the fee (ie not something in the fare giving the preferred seats)

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Nov 17, 2023 at 8:16 am
Old Nov 17, 2023, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
That was my impression also but could not find that stated (today) on UA website.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer (Post # 231)

Example: flight within 24 hours [image redacted]

Compared to the return on the same PNR next week which does still want the fee (ie not something in the fare giving the preferred seats) [image redacted]
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA(Post # 232)
That was my impression also but could not find that stated (today) on UA website.
Thank you. Now that you explain it, I think my wife's issue two weeks ago was that there were no preferred seats left at check-in.

I have edited my Post # 229 accordingly, striking through the wrong information and underlining the added correction.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Nov 17, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Old Feb 29, 2024, 5:28 pm

Question TATL Award economy seat “preferred”

When planing to book an award Saver seat in the Economy seat section of a United TATL flight, most seats are indicated as available with the “preferred” icon. What does that mean, a surcharge?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
most seats are indicated as available with the “preferred” icon. What does that mean, a surcharge?
They tag seats in the front of the plane as Preferred as a way to squeeze more money out of passengers.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
...most seats are indicated as available with the “preferred” icon. What does that mean, a surcharge?
Beware, they are not PremiumEconomy or Economy Plus seats, which have more leg room. Preferred economy seats are just normal economy seats closer to the front of the plane. Some might pay for them to get off the plane faster than those in the same-pitch seats farther back. That is about the only benefit.
Xyzzy and 8MiHi like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 29, 2024 at 6:35 pm Reason: speling
Old Feb 29, 2024, 7:11 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I have had status for long enough I didn’t pay any attention to this. But lately I’ve had to book a few tickets for a no-status family member. What it feels like to me is basically a seat assignment charge—the few seats at the back of the plane are booked solid, leaving people with nothing but upcharge seats—either “preferred” or E+. Or go without a seat assignment until check-in. When they are charging >$20 for a “preferred” seat on a 90 minute domestic flight, it’s a bit insane. I can’t imagine what the charge is for a TATL.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 7:43 pm

The middle 1/3 of economy is the preferred seat area. These are standard economy seats, closer to the front, but not Economy Plus extra leg space. It is accessible by anyone for a modest fee (much less then E+) but the intent was to save seats for last minute booking preferred corporate customers who previous could end up in the back of the airplane with a middle seat even when booking a high fare. These preferred seats are available to anyone at check in for no fee (free).

Originally Posted by bmr12
... the few seats at the back of the plane are booked solid, leaving people with nothing but upcharge seats—either “preferred” or E+. .
The allocation is approx (varies a bit with the aircraft) 1/3 open economy, 1/3 preferred and 1/3 E+
SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.