Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HUCA - what CRM capabilities does UA have?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HUCA - what CRM capabilities does UA have?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Except there's no indication OP would have walked away from UA if the waiver had been declined. Most likely UA could get the $12k and the change fees.
You can poke the bear and hope it doesn't bite, or not poke the bear and know it doesn't bite.

I've walked away from otherwise mutually beneficial business relationships because I perceived that I was being nickel and dimed (one of the most petty may be a local performing arts venue that has (had?) the gall to charge a $7.50 "shipping and handling" fee on all tickets including those at will-call in addition to a myriad of surcharges that really should have been bundled into the ticket price. Another venue got thousands in spending from me because although their ticket prices are higher, I don't have BS fees tacked on at the last moment(e.g. with venue A a $100 ticket can turn into a $119 ticket; venue B a $125 ticket is a $125 ticket) -- I pay more but I feel the relationship is more fair and I'm not being taken advantage of.

Likewise I try to avoid nickel and diming my customers with particular emphasis on my high value/low maintenance clients. One change order may not cause them to get wandering eyes, but over time it may contribute to that revenue going away.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
regarding contact center notes... agents are generally taught "NIR"... name, issue, resolution.

brevity is key. high level of detail is discouraged. supervisors and other agents don't have time to read lengthy notes and workforce management doesn't want handle time affected by ACW (after call work) during which agents write lengthy notes. most of what agents write in the notes field is CYA stuff that they think is necessary to justify their actions in case of an escalation, but - most times - is completely unnecessary. in case of an escalation, all management has to do do is pull up the call and listen to it. and most transactions and changes are automatically tracked within their CRM systems and agents can see prior actions on the customer's account/flights without reading notes.

exceptions apply, of course, but most notes are unnecessary.

Last edited by UK Stages; Aug 14, 2018 at 9:09 pm Reason: edited to clarify who is pulling calls during an escalation... management, not the agent
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by narvik
She might have erroneously thought you were 1K first, and "check a few things" involved checking your status.
Maybe, but it was 3-4 mins on hold, which seems like a long time just to check my status. I suspect she was either calling somebody or reading something in my file.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by UK Stages
regarding contact center notes... agents are generally taught "NIR"... name, issue, resolution.

brevity is key. high level of detail is discouraged. supervisors and other agents don't have time to read lengthy notes and workforce management doesn't want handle time affected by ACW (after call work) during which agents write lengthy notes. most of what agents write in the notes field is CYA stuff that they think is necessary to justify their actions in case of an escalation, but - most times - is completely unnecessary. in case of an escalation, all management has to do do is pull up the call and listen to it. and most transactions and changes are automatically tracked within their CRM systems and agents can see prior actions on the customer's account/flights without reading notes.

exceptions apply, of course, but most notes are unnecessary.
That's definitively not how it worked in the travel call center I used to work. Agents were encouraged to notate relevant information in detail. Having that detail meant that the guest wouldn't have to essentially "start over" if she or he called back to discuss the issue. And having details about how an agent understood the situation was incredibly useful in terms of professional development. As part of a performance appraisal, a manager could review the agent's notes to see if there were any patterns that needed prasing or fixing.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by johnsmith
I'm less worried about the specifics on this issue and more curious on the CRM capabilities--
no problem at all bailing on a call if I can't get through something, but wondering what info United gathers about us, our calls and what rules they've bent in the past
Emphasis mine.

The classic FT Tell me the rules won't apply to me post.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:04 am

I suspect they do have that capability. A friend of mine was calling UA every other day to see if their MUA could clear/how far they were in the list. Probably around the 6th call in that week an agent finally said, "You know we keep track of how often you call us. Just to get you off our back, here's your position on the upgrade list," then hung up. Surprisingly the MUA upgrade they had (SFO->AKL) cleared for themselves and their +1 at T-48 (they were a Platinum).

One HUCA approach I heard that might be useful employing is saying, "Hold on I've got an incoming call. Can I call you back in a few minutes?" Using this approach you could act all surprised when you call them back saying, "I don't recall that agent telling me that," in fact as we were talking my friend called and I had to hang up!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc

On the flip side, a bit over a year ago I was having a conversation with a duty manager about something totally benign -- just a very friendly conversation (I hadn't requested her--she just popped in and we struck up) in a UC. While we were chatting, one of the club agents slipped the manager a note that included my MP status, YTD spend, home airport, etc., etc., so it doesn't seem lo be hard to find if you want it to.
Weird ... so they just randomly handed her the note?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by malgudi
Weird ... so they just randomly handed her the note?
I don't know how much of it was 'random' (since the agent who slipped her the sheet was the same one who recommended I chat with her) but certainly struck me as odd to see my vitals spelled out
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Except there's no indication OP would have walked away from UA if the waiver had been declined. Most likely UA could get the $12k and the change fees.
At close to $52k booked so far the answer is an obvious 'no'. I was hoping they would as one of them was a personal trip, but I would have paid it anyway.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:18 am

I had a HUCA recently I was afraid wouldn't work because of call notes. I had accidentally double-booked myself on a flight (paid for two tickets, same name same MP number), didn't notice till I went to check in. Called and first agent was adamant I had to pay a change fee (she read me times and dates I had made the two purchases, didn't care that I hadn't received a confirmation email for the first one), didn't want to let me off the call without at least cancelling the reservation, but I said I had to go and hung up. Was terrified she was either cancelling it anyway or writing up notes saying not to refund, so I called back right away and second agent was very helpful, said "whoops, looks like you're double booked; let me refund one of these for you".
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
They have the capability to notate your record that a request was made and denied, and if they do that, you're done.
Its United. Try are probably too cheap to use salesforce or anything remotely similar, so I would not hold your breath.
They can barely get shares to work.
mr8 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OpenSky
Its United. Try are probably too cheap to use salesforce or anything remotely similar, so I would not hold your breath.
They definitely can write and read notes about you or your reservations.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Records are often noted, but the next agent almost never notices them! I've usually had the opposite problem where an agent takes 5-10 minutes to find the previous agent's notes approving a waiver. (From the sounds of it, there are several different places where agents can leave notes.)

(Unlike at AA... where a bad note actually means you're toast.)
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:56 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by JAaronT
I once HUCA'ed with Chase, the next agent said "well as the previous agent told you..."
same with amazon.
I think I've actually asked united to note something on my ticket but next agent didn't/couldn't see it.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I would add I don't think UA has a good CRM yet. There have been some articles and discussions by leadership of implementing a system but nothing yet. As others have pointed out they can add notes to your travel records but it's up to the agent you're dealing with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.