Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*G Companion Baggage Tag Incident

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
*G Companion Baggage Tag Incident

Had a very unpleasant incident in Cancun a few days ago. Me (non-UA *G) and a companion (no status) on the same PNR were checking baggage. My printed bag tag came out with "PRIO", companion's did not. The agent didn't want to apply the orange priority tag to my companion's baggage. I had to argue with him for a good 15 minutes and show him the United website rules before he would oblige. That was ridiculous, but now I wonder, why didn't the companion bag tag have "PRIO" listed in the first place?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Given how little advantage a premier tag is on a bags, not sure I would have wasted 15 minutes (or even 5 minutes) on the issue.

believe the employees at CUN are contractors

What were you referencing on ua.com?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I believe OP has made a mistake.

Companion of UA*G are entitled for premier access, which include priority baggage.

Companion of non-UA*G are NOT entitled for premier access, which include priority baggage. AFAIK - unless specified explicitly, *G benefit is usually apply to the *G pax only.

Obviously, there is no doubt why UA*G are treated better than non-UA*G on UA.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What were you referencing on ua.com?
Here, which says:

Complimentary Premier Access is determined by the Premier status of the traveler on the day of travel for all tickets, including award tickets. Customers traveling on the same reservation as someone who is eligible to receive complimentary Premier Access will also receive complimentary Premier Access.

Last edited by garykung; Aug 9, 2018 at 1:56 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1K & Marriott Titanium
happens to me (UA *G) on occasion when flying LH. last week going out of EWR my bag got a prio tag and my wife's (no status) did not. didn't say anything - her bag came out well before mine. on the return both of our bags were tagged prio.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by zeer0
now I wonder, why didn't the companion bag tag have "PRIO" listed in the first place?
When you say "companion" were you on the same reservation?

FWIW, WineCountry is spot on priority tags do very little (if any) good.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
The OP said they were on the same PNR. I have always thought that everyone on the same PNR gets the priority tag, but maybe I should watch more closely.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by kilo
The OP said they were on the same PNR. I have always thought that everyone on the same PNR gets the priority tag, but maybe I should watch more closely.
Wow! I have NO idea how I missed that in the OP? #facepalm
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by zeer0
Had a very unpleasant incident in Cancun a few days ago. Me (non-UA *G) and a companion (no status) on the same PNR were checking baggage. My printed bag tag came out with "PRIO", companion's did not. The agent didn't want to apply the orange priority tag to my companion's baggage. I had to argue with him for a good 15 minutes and show him the United website rules before he would oblige. That was ridiculous, but now I wonder, why didn't the companion bag tag have "PRIO" listed in the first place?
Why not just check both bags under your name?
Xyzzy, wavid, zeer0 and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Why not just check both bags under your name?
I always put as many bags under my name as possible, even if on the same reservation.
IntlSalesGuy and chavala like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Could it all have been avoided by claiming both bags as your own and your companion checking none? (Not sure in Non UA*G get more than one bag or not).
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70
Could it all have been avoided by claiming both bags as your own and your companion checking none? (Not sure in Non UA*G get more than one bag or not).
non-UA *G would only get 1 bag allowance (and companions would also) for a north american flight
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...rnational.html

Looked and don't see anywhere on the UA website where non-UA *G companions get priority tag nor in Star Alliance Gold (*G) benefits on United

There is a general trend for companions to get elite benefits while on the same PNR but there are cases where that does not happen (E+ access, CPU, ..) so without an explicit statement, it is unclear to me if the privilege exists, hence the earlier request for the reference.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I wonder why all the fuss? And arguing 15 min to get a P-tag? Unbelievable...
downinit likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:39 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780

FWIW, WineCountry is spot on priority tags do very little (if any) good.
Depends on the airport and probably the ground crew. My bag was 3rd out at SAN a few days back. It was last out at BAQ (off a CM flight) earlier this year.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by exerda
Depends on the airport and probably the ground crew. My bag was 3rd out at SAN a few days back. It was last out at BAQ (off a CM flight) earlier this year.
All of which can be explained by random chance.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
Out of the over 200 flights I had so far as a *G it probably happened two or three times that my tagged bags actually came out before the other bags... arguing about these tags is completely ridiculous

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.