Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No mileage accrual to AC AE when ticketed on UA flight into R class at purchase?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No mileage accrual to AC AE when ticketed on UA flight into R class at purchase?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Writing on behalf of a travel companion.

He flew UA on a W-fare itinerary for which the international segment was directly booked into R class at the time of purchase, using a GPU.
UA has now twice refused basic (economy-class W, 100%) mileage accrual on Aeroplan, saying that the originally ticketed R class is ineligible for mileage accrual.
He got 0 miles for the international segment.

Is this the correct policy or he just got bad information from two agents?
I can't help thinking that had he applied the GPU a minute after first ticketing the entire itinerary in W class, (as opposed to applying the GPU at the time of purchase), he would not have had this trouble today. All assistance greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maple
UA has now twice refused basic (economy-class W, 100%) mileage accrual on Aeroplan, saying that the originally ticketed R class is ineligible for mileage accrual.
He got 0 miles for the international segment.

Is this the correct policy or he just got bad information from two agents?
No, it is not the correct policy. Accrual should be based upon the underlying fare class.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
No, it is not the correct policy. Accrual should be based upon the underlying fare class.
Both UA and AC are maintaining that the underlying fare class is R since that international segment was never ticketed into W class.
Mileage accrual denied 3 times (online), accepted once (phone) and then finally denied again (phone).
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both UA and AC are maintaining that the underlying fare class is R since that international segment was never ticketed into W class.
UA doesn't offer any R fares. There's no way for that to be the underlying fare class of anything.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Ask United to credit it as the actual revenue fare.

Last edited by mduell; Jul 13, 2018 at 6:13 pm
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
who is refusing to credit miles? Aeroplan or United, and to which account? If Aeroplan, it sounds like they need a tersely worded email with a copy of the original ticket receipt showing the booking class with instructions to credit as W class.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
a copy of the original ticket receipt showing the booking class with instructions to credit as W class.
I think that's going to be a problem, because the original receipt likely shows R. OP mentioned that the pax was able to apply a GPU during the booking process.

UA needs to tell Aeroplan that the underlying fare class was W before Aeroplan is likely to credit anything.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

who is refusing to credit miles? Aeroplan or United, and to which account? If Aeroplan, it sounds like they need a tersely worded email with a copy of the original ticket receipt showing the booking class with instructions to credit as W class.
Aeroplan is refusing to credit miles. The guy said that I have no proof that it was booked into W class (since it was directly ticketed into R) so the accrual request will be denied a 3rd time even if I were to write to the President of Aeroplan. Said that if I had ticketed in W, then gone to the gate to upgrade to R, theat accrual would then be possible; but zero for directly ticketing into R. I am beyond infuriated as he was terribly condescending as well.

I think that's going to be a problem, because the original receipt likely shows R. OP mentioned that the pax was able to apply a GPU during the booking process.

UA needs to tell Aeroplan that the underlying fare class was W before Aeroplan is likely to credit anything.
I wrote to UA asking them to please communicate with Aeroplan on this. The 1K desk responded that "Mileage Plus cannot access Aeroplan... please call a supervisor at Aeroplan".

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 2018 at 6:14 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Said that if I had ticketed in W, then gone to the gate to upgrade to R, theat accrual would then be possible; but zero for directly ticketing into R.
Obviously, that makes no sense whatsoever.

You may want to try the Aeroplan forum for advice on dealing with their representatives, but it is UA that needs to credit the miles across to Aeroplan, and I still can't figure out why they're having such a hard time with this. I don't necessarily expect an Aeroplan representative to know that there's no way to book into R without being on an upgrade from a (non-R) fare, but I certainly expect a UA rep to know that.

I wrote to UA asking them to please communicate with Aeroplan on this. The 1K desk responded that "Mileage Plus cannot access Aeroplan... please call a supervisor at Aeroplan".
I'd write back with a message similar to this one. "Pax XYZ purchased a W fare and then upgraded it using a GPU. Aeroplan is refusing mileage credit due to 'R' showing as the booking class on the receipt. Could you please send me a receipt showing 'W' class instead, since that was the fare class actually purchased?"
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I don't see how this is going to get resolved except thru AE. UA will not deal with you about crediting issue to AE, only AE can handle post credit to their plan.

One option is to get ahold of the GDS record and see if the original fare basis is listed.

Perhaps this would be better in the AC / AE forum.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
There is no such thing as directly on UA. R can only be applied after the W ticket is issued. Try to find the original W ticket receipt and submit that.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Obviously, that makes no sense whatsoever.

You may want to try the Aeroplan forum for advice on dealing with their representatives, but it is UA that needs to credit the miles across to Aeroplan, and I still can't figure out why they're having such a hard time with this. I don't necessarily expect an Aeroplan representative to know that there's no way to book into R without being on an upgrade from a (non-R) fare, but I certainly expect a UA rep to know that.
Ditto. And I was truly disappointed with the 1K desk's response. Not angry disappointed but sad disappointed.
I am now rather exhausted after so many rounds of communication with both airlines on behalf of my travel companion. At my wit's end.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Where was the ticket booked? Online or with a travel agent? Call whoever issued the ticket and ask for a receipt that shows the original booking class prior to the upgrade - this is something that might require some escalation effort if it was booked online with UA, but eventually they should be able to reproduce a receipt that shows the original booking class on each segment
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Where was the ticket booked? Online or with a travel agent? Call whoever issued the ticket and ask for a receipt that shows the original booking class prior to the upgrade - this is something that might require some escalation effort if it was booked online with UA, but eventually they should be able to reproduce a receipt that shows the original booking class on each segment
It was booked online with UA, unfortunately.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

UA won’t really tell Aeroplan anything. Aeroplan is the one who will need to make the request to UA, based on a request from the OPs friend (traveler). Then UA can tell them, I suppose. But if the credit is going to Aeroplan, UA won’t help directly - Aeroplan is the entity to go through.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I don't see how this is going to get resolved except thru AE. UA will not deal with you about crediting issue to AE, only AE can handle post credit to their plan.
Perhaps this would be better in the AC / AE forum.
both of these points are correct. As I said above, only Aeroplan (as the program one wants credit to) will handle this - they’ll need to confirm with UA, but UA isn’t the correct place to ask.

If Aeroplan is refusing to credit, and OPs friend can’t get it resolved through them, perhaps it may be an option to credit to MP? Obviously, not ideal, but they should at a minimum credit it properly.

Ditto. And I was truly disappointed with the 1K desk's response. Not angry disappointed but sad disappointed.
Not sure why the 1K desk is involved. They are completely irrelevant if your friend is trying to credit to Aeroplan. And doubly so if they aren’t 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.