Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No mileage accrual to AC AE when ticketed on UA flight into R class at purchase?

No mileage accrual to AC AE when ticketed on UA flight into R class at purchase?

Old Jul 13, 18, 5:48 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,290
No mileage accrual to AC AE when ticketed on UA flight into R class at purchase?

Writing on behalf of a travel companion.

He flew UA on a W-fare itinerary for which the international segment was directly booked into R class at the time of purchase, using a GPU.
UA has now twice refused basic (economy-class W, 100%) mileage accrual on Aeroplan, saying that the originally ticketed R class is ineligible for mileage accrual.
He got 0 miles for the international segment.

Is this the correct policy or he just got bad information from two agents?
I can't help thinking that had he applied the GPU a minute after first ticketing the entire itinerary in W class, (as opposed to applying the GPU at the time of purchase), he would not have had this trouble today. All assistance greatly appreciated.
maple is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 5:50 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,615
Originally Posted by maple View Post
UA has now twice refused basic (economy-class W, 100%) mileage accrual on Aeroplan, saying that the originally ticketed R class is ineligible for mileage accrual.
He got 0 miles for the international segment.

Is this the correct policy or he just got bad information from two agents?
No, it is not the correct policy. Accrual should be based upon the underlying fare class.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 5:56 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,290
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
No, it is not the correct policy. Accrual should be based upon the underlying fare class.
Both UA and AC are maintaining that the underlying fare class is R since that international segment was never ticketed into W class.
Mileage accrual denied 3 times (online), accepted once (phone) and then finally denied again (phone).
maple is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 6:01 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,615
Originally Posted by maple View Post
Both UA and AC are maintaining that the underlying fare class is R since that international segment was never ticketed into W class.
UA doesn't offer any R fares. There's no way for that to be the underlying fare class of anything.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 6:02 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 11,338
Ask United to credit it as the actual revenue fare.

Last edited by mduell; Jul 13, 18 at 6:13 pm
mduell is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 6:05 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 36,107
who is refusing to credit miles? Aeroplan or United, and to which account? If Aeroplan, it sounds like they need a tersely worded email with a copy of the original ticket receipt showing the booking class with instructions to credit as W class.
bocastephen is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 6:08 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,615
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
a copy of the original ticket receipt showing the booking class with instructions to credit as W class.
I think that's going to be a problem, because the original receipt likely shows R. OP mentioned that the pax was able to apply a GPU during the booking process.

UA needs to tell Aeroplan that the underlying fare class was W before Aeroplan is likely to credit anything.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 6:10 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,290
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
who is refusing to credit miles? Aeroplan or United, and to which account? If Aeroplan, it sounds like they need a tersely worded email with a copy of the original ticket receipt showing the booking class with instructions to credit as W class.
Aeroplan is refusing to credit miles. The guy said that I have no proof that it was booked into W class (since it was directly ticketed into R) so the accrual request will be denied a 3rd time even if I were to write to the President of Aeroplan. Said that if I had ticketed in W, then gone to the gate to upgrade to R, theat accrual would then be possible; but zero for directly ticketing into R. I am beyond infuriated as he was terribly condescending as well.

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I think that's going to be a problem, because the original receipt likely shows R. OP mentioned that the pax was able to apply a GPU during the booking process.

UA needs to tell Aeroplan that the underlying fare class was W before Aeroplan is likely to credit anything.
I wrote to UA asking them to please communicate with Aeroplan on this. The 1K desk responded that "Mileage Plus cannot access Aeroplan... please call a supervisor at Aeroplan".

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 18 at 6:14 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
maple is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 6:14 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,615
Originally Posted by maple View Post
Said that if I had ticketed in W, then gone to the gate to upgrade to R, theat accrual would then be possible; but zero for directly ticketing into R.
Obviously, that makes no sense whatsoever.

You may want to try the Aeroplan forum for advice on dealing with their representatives, but it is UA that needs to credit the miles across to Aeroplan, and I still can't figure out why they're having such a hard time with this. I don't necessarily expect an Aeroplan representative to know that there's no way to book into R without being on an upgrade from a (non-R) fare, but I certainly expect a UA rep to know that.

Originally Posted by maple View Post
I wrote to UA asking them to please communicate with Aeroplan on this. The 1K desk responded that "Mileage Plus cannot access Aeroplan... please call a supervisor at Aeroplan".
I'd write back with a message similar to this one. "Pax XYZ purchased a W fare and then upgraded it using a GPU. Aeroplan is refusing mileage credit due to 'R' showing as the booking class on the receipt. Could you please send me a receipt showing 'W' class instead, since that was the fare class actually purchased?"
jsloan is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 6:16 pm
  #10  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 53,623
I don't see how this is going to get resolved except thru AE. UA will not deal with you about crediting issue to AE, only AE can handle post credit to their plan.

One option is to get ahold of the GDS record and see if the original fare basis is listed.

Perhaps this would be better in the AC / AE forum.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 6:16 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York, London, Sydney
Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Posts: 9,780
There is no such thing as directly on UA. R can only be applied after the W ticket is issued. Try to find the original W ticket receipt and submit that.
stevenshev is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 6:17 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,290
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Obviously, that makes no sense whatsoever.

You may want to try the Aeroplan forum for advice on dealing with their representatives, but it is UA that needs to credit the miles across to Aeroplan, and I still can't figure out why they're having such a hard time with this. I don't necessarily expect an Aeroplan representative to know that there's no way to book into R without being on an upgrade from a (non-R) fare, but I certainly expect a UA rep to know that.
Ditto. And I was truly disappointed with the 1K desk's response. Not angry disappointed but sad disappointed.
I am now rather exhausted after so many rounds of communication with both airlines on behalf of my travel companion. At my wit's end.
maple is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 6:38 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 36,107
Where was the ticket booked? Online or with a travel agent? Call whoever issued the ticket and ask for a receipt that shows the original booking class prior to the upgrade - this is something that might require some escalation effort if it was booked online with UA, but eventually they should be able to reproduce a receipt that shows the original booking class on each segment
jsloan likes this.
bocastephen is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 6:48 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,290
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Where was the ticket booked? Online or with a travel agent? Call whoever issued the ticket and ask for a receipt that shows the original booking class prior to the upgrade - this is something that might require some escalation effort if it was booked online with UA, but eventually they should be able to reproduce a receipt that shows the original booking class on each segment
It was booked online with UA, unfortunately.
maple is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 7:05 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 12,102
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I think that's going to be a problem, because the original receipt likely shows R. OP mentioned that the pax was able to apply a GPU during the booking process.

UA needs to tell Aeroplan that the underlying fare class was W before Aeroplan is likely to credit anything.
UA wonít really tell Aeroplan anything. Aeroplan is the one who will need to make the request to UA, based on a request from the OPs friend (traveler). Then UA can tell them, I suppose. But if the credit is going to Aeroplan, UA wonít help directly - Aeroplan is the entity to go through.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
I don't see how this is going to get resolved except thru AE. UA will not deal with you about crediting issue to AE, only AE can handle post credit to their plan.
...
Perhaps this would be better in the AC / AE forum.
both of these points are correct. As I said above, only Aeroplan (as the program one wants credit to) will handle this - theyíll need to confirm with UA, but UA isnít the correct place to ask.

If Aeroplan is refusing to credit, and OPs friend canít get it resolved through them, perhaps it may be an option to credit to MP? Obviously, not ideal, but they should at a minimum credit it properly.

Originally Posted by maple View Post
Ditto. And I was truly disappointed with the 1K desk's response. Not angry disappointed but sad disappointed.
Not sure why the 1K desk is involved. They are completely irrelevant if your friend is trying to credit to Aeroplan. And doubly so if they arenít 1K.


emcampbe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: