Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

I couldn’t disagree more. I doubt anyone flying these routes regularly the past dozen years would agree either.

I live near SFO and still say this.
How come? You may pine for the 5th freedoms (as I do sometimes for GPUs to BKK) but they aren’t coming back (quite apart from revenue vs costs, think US carriers vs Gulf carrier politics). You still have availability via NRT on NH, plus at least one non stop to SIN on UA. And I did say “wait and see”, as I’m optimistic double daily will work, especially once the 789s get Polaris which will substantially (not completely but substantially) close the gap with SQ on the J experience.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
How come?
HKG-SIN was a super easy upgrade, and SFO-HKG-SIN was at the end a considerably easier upgrade than SFO-SIN. It also created excellent SDC opportunities when combined with the two SIN nonstops - very easy to roll a flight to the next day, or create a stop at HKG.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
HKG-SIN was a super easy upgrade, and SFO-HKG-SIN was at the end a considerably easier upgrade than SFO-SIN. It also created excellent SDC opportunities when combined with the two SIN nonstops - very easy to roll a flight to the next day, or create a stop at HKG.
ORD/IAD/EWR/SEA/DEN/IAH/HNL-SIN was available with one GPU and 100% wide body metal.

Being forced to SFO from say CVG on the domestic network simply blows. Doubly so on the return.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I simply cannot fathom where this idea of hordes of NYC-origin passengers flying to SIN via SFO is coming from. EWR-SIN may very well take passengers from UA, but not from EWR-SFO-SIN. It will take passengers from EWR-NRT-SIN. And the JFK-FRA-SIN flight is hardly new.

I do agree that there's more US-Singapore capacity than demand right now. SQ clearly didn't like UA entering the SFO-SIN market and has decided to retaliate. In the short term, customers will be the winners as UA and SQ try to undercut each other on price. Longer-term, it's likely that customers will be the losers, as one airline or the other will retreat and thus allow airfare to rise.
I think there will be an eventual capacity decrease in the USA-SIN market, but I think it will mostly come from SQ and not UA. I think SQ will make SIN-SFO be 2x daily, whether that is 1x nonstop and 1x via HKG, 2x nonstop and 0 via HKG, or some mixture of 10x weekly nonstop and 4x weekly via HKG. Similar situation with LAX, where I think they will eventually go to 14x weekly either as 1x nonstop + 1x via NRT, 2x nonstop, or 10x weekly nonstop + 4x weekly via NRT. Also not sure if SIN-FRA-JFK will stay on the A380 or be changed to a 77W or 359.

BTW, for those wondering about corporate traffic, here's a list of some large US companies with regional HQs in Singapore and where they are based in the US.

Bay Area
Facebook, Twitter, Apple, Google, LinkedIn, Chevron, Cisco, Levi Strauss, HP, EA
NYC Metro
Mondelez, Pfitzer, Merck
Minneapolis
Cargill, Donaldson
Seattle
Microsoft
Boise
Micron
LA
Disney
Boston
GE
Cincinnati
P&G
Detroit
GM
Chicago
ADM
Raleigh/Durham
Quintiles
Atlanta
UPS
Dallas/Fort Worth
Kimberly-Clark
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by DA201
I think there will be an eventual capacity decrease in the USA-SIN market, but I think it will mostly come from SQ and not UA. I think SQ will make SIN-SFO be 2x daily, whether that is 1x nonstop and 1x via HKG, 2x nonstop and 0 via HKG, or some mixture of 10x weekly nonstop and 4x weekly via HKG. Similar situation with LAX, where I think they will eventually go to 14x weekly either as 1x nonstop + 1x via NRT, 2x nonstop, or 10x weekly nonstop + 4x weekly via NRT. Also not sure if SIN-FRA-JFK will stay on the A380 or be changed to a 77W or 359.

BTW, for those wondering about corporate traffic, here's a list of some large US companies with regional HQs in Singapore and where they are based in the US.

Bay Area
Facebook, Twitter, Apple, Google, LinkedIn, Chevron, Cisco, Levi Strauss, HP, EA
NYC Metro
Mondelez, Pfitzer, Merck
Minneapolis
Cargill, Donaldson
Seattle
Microsoft
Boise
Micron
LA
Disney
Boston
GE
Cincinnati
P&G
Detroit
GM
Chicago
ADM
Raleigh/Durham
Quintiles
Atlanta
UPS
Dallas/Fort Worth
Kimberly-Clark
Add Flex to that list for the Bay Area. Their corporate HQ are technically in SIN, but their main offices are in San Jose.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM

Bay Area
NYC Metro
Mondelez, Pfitzer, Merck
Minneapolis
Cargill, Donaldson
Seattle
Microsoft
Boise
Micron
LA
Disney
Boston
GE
Cincinnati
P&G
Detroit
GM
Chicago
ADM
Raleigh/Durham
Quintiles
Atlanta
UPS
Dallas/Fort Worth
Kimberly-Clark
Add Amazon to Seattle.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Based on the list above, it certainly seems like UA was justified in moving the LAX frequency to SFO.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
I think its pre mature to assume that all those companies would use UA to shuttle their employees to SIN. I personally know 2 Google employees who have done the Singapore run more than three times this year, and in both instances they took SQ. An executive for twitter I know who is fairly high up with similar travel patterns to Singapore took delta, albeit with a stop in NRT.

The truth of the matter is : As much as UA would like to force its contract holders to be in compliance, the employees will fly what makes sense as far as budget allows.

My prediction is the morning arrival flight stays, the morning departure flight will be the one to go. SQ's flight arrives and departs roughly around the same time as UA 29
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion

Bay Area
NYC Metro
Mondelez, Pfitzer, Merck
Minneapolis
Cargill, Donaldson
Seattle
Microsoft
Boise
Micron
LA
Disney
Boston
GE
Cincinnati
P&G
Detroit
GM
Chicago
ADM
Raleigh/Durham
Quintiles
Atlanta
UPS
Dallas/Fort Worth
Kimberly-Clark
Add CME Group to Chicago
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Yes as I said we can pine for the 5th freedoms. I had 100% GPU success on the BKK (and SGN) routes so miss them too. But they’re not coming back. So given that, based on route availability even just the one non stop (UA1/2) is better, and gives you a choice between the night departure/early morning arrival, or the daytime departures going via NRT to NH.

Let’s see how UA/29/28 holds up vs SQ. I’m taking UA29 because the 815pm arrival is very convenient and trumps NH’s 788 barcalounger that arrives at 10pm ish (the NH 77W arrives at past midnight). I also remain to be convinced that SQ’s ULR is going to be viable. It looks more like a vanity project to me, especially as UA demonstrated it’s not needed on the LAX route, and the cheaper 280 tomne MTOW A359 can do that route with full payload.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I think the upcoming late SIN-SFO should be a winner.

Losing the HKG-SIN hurt SIN travelers from the East Coast, as the trip now involves a transcon ahead of the ULH segment, which adds around 2-3h depending on layover at SFO. I think it's less of an issue for ORD, because despite a longer overall transit time, HKG-SIN/ORD-SFO are of similar length, and all ULH flights feel about the same to me past the 12h mark. A transcon before or after a TPAC is tough duty.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
It looks like ANA is basically providing all flat-bed service to SIN now with 789s. There is some 788 service sprinkled in on random dates on the late flight ex-NRT.

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Let’s see how UA/29/28 holds up vs SQ. I’m taking UA29 because the 815pm arrival is very convenient and trumps NH’s 788 barcalounger that arrives at 10pm ish (the NH 77W arrives at past midnight).

Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 764toHI
It looks like ANA is basically providing all flat-bed service to SIN now with 789s. There is some 788 service sprinkled in on random dates on the late flight ex-NRT.
NH 787 assignments are a mess due to the Trent issue. They've been intermittently assigning 788s with regional J on routes that should be 789 with lie-flat.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
NH 787 assignments are a mess due to the Trent issue. They've been intermittently assigning 788s with regional J on routes that should be 789 with lie-flat.

Is the 788 regional J the same seat as the 767? if so UGGGHHH
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EWR764
I think the upcoming late SIN-SFO should be a winner.

Losing the HKG-SIN hurt SIN travelers from the East Coast, as the trip now involves a transcon ahead of the ULH segment, which adds around 2-3h depending on layover at SFO. I think it's less of an issue for ORD, because despite a longer overall transit time, HKG-SIN/ORD-SFO are of similar length, and all ULH flights feel about the same to me past the 12h mark. A transcon before or after a TPAC is tough duty.
ORD-SFO isn’t on a flatbed with INTL meal and IFE

In Y no food or beer/wine

And consider starting at CVG instead as the scenario, or any other station that will require two flights to get to SFO

The idea posited upthread that a single thin frequency from SFO is still better than the previous network options is patently absurd.
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by uastarflyer; Oct 15, 2018 at 9:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.