Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:54 pm

It is amazing the variety some foreign carriers offer in their lounges and even in business class on short haul flights within Europe or Asia. Quiet impressive.
My vote goes for local, NYT, WSJ, USA Today and FT. These are mostly paid membership clubs. The ones in Europe and Asia and not even paid - they are status and fare based.
I too be UA got a real deal on them.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
​​​​​​

It does strike me a tad odd to complain about carbon footprint with all the flying we do
Really? First off, I don't think the legendary ua1flyer or myself was "complaining" - we simply stated printed newspapers aren't good for the environment. They aren't. I can't believe that would be in dispute.

And while (as I stated before) I wish my carbon footprint was better from my flying (but I'm glad planes are getting more efficient) - that doesn't mean you give up on making the environment better - I won't give up on hybrid or electric cars, solar, recycling, and getting rid of paper newsprint.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
From a selfish point of view, my most preferred newspaper is WSJ though I generally like to look at the local paper as well. So I do think this enhancement is sad. Reading a print newspaper is a different experience than reading online. I bet that the % of people who read a newspaper linearly (page A1 to the end) online is virtually zero. Given a similar phenomenon in hotels (similar development in Marriott in the past year or two), I'm not surprised.
I imagine that the environment is not the motivation for the decision though a bonus PR benefit -- versus reduced cost and a bit of logistical simplification.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
I can certainly live without a newspaper while traveling - whether it is good for the environment or it helps United save a little money.

However, added to the ever-growing list of cut backs on the ground and in the air, it is something to be concerned about..
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Globe and Herald available at BOS on 6/5.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
As a journalist, this makes me sad--although not nearly as sad as the decline in local journalism across the U.S. I look forward to grabbing a copy of the local paper on my way out of the UC to learn some of the stories behind the scenery I just visited, and reading on an app isn't the same (especially right after takeoff, when I'm stuck with using my phone). Whereas I never read the trade pubs that continue to clutter the rest of the reading racks after the papers, Hemispheres and Rhapsody; I have to think they pay for that placement.

FWIW, SAN and LAX had the Union-Tribune and the LAT on Friday. I'll see what DCA's like on Monday.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by TCD
Wait, people take the papers away with them? I always assumed that they should stay in the club for everyone to enjoy. What about magazines like the Economist, would you take those away also?

While I think that's it poor form for UA to remove things that people are using in the clubs, I also think its not their place to provide in-flight reading material. That should be on the flyer, not on the club.
i strongly disagree. No justification for removal of this nice benefit to club members other than cost savings to United and cost increase to members.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
I can certainly live without a newspaper while traveling - whether it is good for the environment or it helps United save a little money.

However, added to the ever-growing list of cut backs on the ground and in the air, it is something to be concerned about..
If the free newspapers were costing United a lot of money then presumably there was a large demand for them. If the demand was low, as suggested it should be, the expense presumably shouldn't be too great.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Perspective this week

This week my buddy from work and I did a same
day turn ORD-DTW. Morning; United Club ORD T2. Paper plates and plastic forks and knives, no hot food other than oatmeal and toast. Fancy coffee machine Inop. No local papers, just WSJ

Fast forward to DTW before return: no UC but Senator’s lounge thanks to Lufthansa.

Top shelf liquor free, beer wine lots of choices
turkey/ham/veggie wraps
fruit salad/veggie salad
gourmet coffees, latte, etc
lots of newspapers and reading material

you see where this is going? Yup. UC is sucking big time.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tryathlete
This week my buddy from work and I did a same
day turn ORD-DTW. Morning;
United Club ORD T2. Paper plates and plastic forks and knives, no hot food other than oatmeal and toast. Fancy coffee machine Inop. No local papers, just WSJ

Fast forward to DTW before return: no UC but Senator’s lounge thanks to Lufthansa.

Top shelf liquor free, beer wine lots of choices
turkey/ham/veggie wraps
fruit salad/veggie salad
gourmet coffees, latte, etc
lots of newspapers and reading material

you see where this is going? Yup. UC is sucking big time.

To address environmental concerns, I propose that the UC reinstate newspapers and balance the impact by restoring proper dishware instead of stocking styrofoam/plastic. Win-win.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Really? First off, I don't think the legendary ua1flyer or myself was "complaining" - we simply stated printed newspapers aren't good for the environment. They aren't. I can't believe that would be in dispute.

And while (as I stated before) I wish my carbon footprint was better from my flying (but I'm glad planes are getting more efficient) - that doesn't mean you give up on making the environment better - I won't give up on hybrid or electric cars, solar, recycling, and getting rid of paper newsprint.
That's just semantics, word parsing (also don't understand what legendary has got to do with this, but I digress).

Neither is flying good for the environment. No amount of hybrid/electric cars, recycling is going to compensate for the massive footprint of air travel. Facts can be troublesome, you know.

​​​​​​
One round-trip flight from New York to Europe or to San Francisco creates a warming effect equivalent to 2 or 3 tons of carbon dioxide per person. The average American generates about 19 tons of carbon dioxide a year; the average European, 10.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If the UC's were providing access to e-versions of the newspapers in the clubs and on the plane, that would represent a reduction of people's carbon footprint (e.g., what LH does) - replacing paper with a like version that doesn't require newsprint. What they've done is just take away a benefit.

Saying there's an environmental benefit to removal of papers is just greenwashing.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by drewguy
I could use bigger drink cups, preferably glasses. I took two at a time because once you have a few ice cubes there's about 3 oz. of soda.
Ditto on that, when I get soda at the club, its generally 2 glasses, one without ice. That way I don't have to come back for a while.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Sent an email to [email protected] and GS customer service expressing my displeasure.
I for one still enjoy reading the local paper.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
(also don't understand what legendary has got to do with this, but I digress).​​​​​​
"legendary" when referring to ua1flyer.... should require no explanation.

But I'll help: ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.