FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   No more local & now no more papers in UC? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1912762-no-more-local-now-no-more-papers-uc.html)

DawgmanOH Jun 5, 2018 5:19 am

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Apologies if posted already but I didn't see it anywhere.

Stopped in Cleveland UC today and there were no local papers or USA Today. Was told by the front desk that this was a quiet announcement to eliminate the local papers and USA Todays and only offer Wall Street Journal. This started on June 1.

Anyone else noticing this at other clubs? Yes, I know many people don't read a physical paper but I find them very convenient while traveling and this would be a definite loss for my membership.

Dublin_rfk Jun 5, 2018 5:41 am

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH (Post 29830645)
Apologies if posted already but I didn't see it anywhere.

Stopped in Cleveland UC today and there were no local papers or USA Today. Was told by the front desk that this was a quiet announcement to eliminate the local papers and USA Todays and only offer Wall Street Journal. This started on June 1.

Anyone else noticing this at other clubs? Yes, I know many people don't read a physical paper but I find them very convenient while traveling and this would be a definite loss for my membership.

I haven’t heard of or seen any reduction in hard copy of newspapers(?) in UCs. I will be checking out a couple of UCs (PHL IAH) today and report back.

DawgmanOH Jun 5, 2018 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk (Post 29830682)

I haven’t heard of or seen any reduction in hard copy of newspapers(?) in UCs. I will be checking out a couple of UCs (PHL IAH) today and report back.

Curious what you find out. I heard someone else in the UC ask the front desk and got same response. Effective June 1, no more local papers or USA Today.

StuckinITH Jun 5, 2018 6:11 am

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH (Post 29830712)
Curious what you find out. I heard someone else in the UC ask the front desk and got same response. Effective June 1, no more local papers or USA Today.

The only thing I know is that, on May 15th, the papers were in short supply. My wife had to go to 3 UC at ORD to get the full supply: the local one, the USA Today, the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times.

FlytheTail Jun 5, 2018 6:37 am

Delta recently did away with all newspapers, but there was enough negative feedback that they brought them back. Here's the thread over in the DL forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...papers-sc.html

restlessinRNO Jun 5, 2018 8:20 am

Two weeks ago, as I posted previously, I noted no newspapers in the new SFO Polaris Lounge. So I went to the international UC and picked up a WSJ and returned to the Polaris Lounge. This was in May. Like the OP, I enjoy reading a physical newspaper and taking it onto the plane with me. I hope this hasn't changed come June 1. :)

ContinentalFan Jun 5, 2018 8:26 am

I just love the term “quiet announcement.”

drowelf Jun 5, 2018 8:53 am

I was in a couple of the IAH UCs at the end of May and they did not have any local papers. We had just moved away and I was looking forward to picking up a Sunday Chronicle to browse. I asked and they said they stop carrying the Sunday Paper a couple of weeks ago. I did not think to ask about weekdays. As it was a Sunday, I did not even look for the weekend USA Today, as thats always very stale by Sunday.

Dublin_rfk Jun 5, 2018 10:04 am

The UC in PHL has the WSJ only.

halls120 Jun 5, 2018 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk (Post 29831552)
The UC in PHL has the WSJ only.

Cheap, Cheap, Cheap. The new UA, thanks to Scott Kirby and Oscar Munoz.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jun 5, 2018 10:11 am

This is an annoyance, if true. I like getting some Sudokus, crosswords, and reading material for planes.

drewguy Jun 5, 2018 10:39 am

SFO UC (main one) had only WSJ when I came through Saturday (6/2). Attendant said "only WSJ today", which I simply assumed they had some sourcing issue. Guess she meant "new policy going forward".

jbone9877 Jun 5, 2018 10:50 am

In LAX now, only WSJ

comfortablynumb Jun 5, 2018 10:53 am

None @ IAH C on 5/30.

TCD Jun 5, 2018 10:56 am

Wait, people take the papers away with them? I always assumed that they should stay in the club for everyone to enjoy. What about magazines like the Economist, would you take those away also?

While I think that's it poor form for UA to remove things that people are using in the clubs, I also think its not their place to provide in-flight reading material. That should be on the flyer, not on the club.