Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Although not related to this thread, Kirby would make more money by having the coin-operated toilets in the planes......
Please don’t give him any ideas...
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Gig103
I used a UC for the first time recently and ... what possible downgrades in that area could they even make? I guess downgrading Illy to Starbucks or Folgers coffee would be the only one I could think of.
Don't say that! I'm still traumatized from the Freshpoo days...
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Possibly related:

Seattle Times – Starbucks stores to stop selling newspapers in the fall, pointing to ‘changing customer behavior’
New York Times – Extra! Extra! Starbucks Will Stop Selling Newspapers

Not pleased with this particular social trend.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by manstein58

Have you been to EWR? Food and beverage are indecent. Salty soup, cheese bombs, and dried out vegetables.
EWR (my home airport) UC situation is an absolute abomination. Probably the worst among the majors for a so-called "flagship" hub.

United "hears us", but not much is happening.

Still, at locations with sufficient kitchen space, the UC food and beverage program is objectively better. As far as food, certainly better than at any other point since I've been flying. Even in the 90s "glory years", the food spread was still cold fruit, cheese, crackers and candy. Now, the standard is a bit higher.

As far as newspapers, I would often take one, thumb through it for a bit, and stuff it in my seat pocket after a couple of minutes. Not a significant loss, in my book. I recognize that others may have a different experience.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by EWR764
United "hears us", but not much is happening.
As far as newspapers, I would often take one, thumb through it for a bit, and stuff it in my seat pocket after a couple of minutes. Not a significant loss, in my book. I recognize that others may have a different experience.
Remember magazines on airplanes? One could say that eliminating newspapers from UC was inevitable.
It might be entertaining to start a thread with predictions on "What Kirby cuts next."
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Reading material on electronic devices is generally less relaxing for people than reading material consumed from ink on paper. Beyond that, I suspect that the absorption capacity of information is greater when the info is read as ink on paper than when it is read in electronic form, but maybe that will change over time as books get phased out at schools.

I am a big fan of reading ink on paper in newspapers and magazines during my trips (or even afterwards), and remember fondly when I would pick up stacks of papers and magazines from my Shuttle runs between DC and NYC (and sometimes Boston). I still look for newspapers and magazines to read on the go when at airports and hotels, and based on what I see going on, I’m certainly not the last of the dinosaurs when it comes to doing so.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm very disappointed with this change. I prefer to read the news in print, not only in the club, but also on the airplane. Of course I can always buy the WSJ at an airport gift shop before going to the club, but over the course of a year that probably adds at least $100 to the cost of club membership, which apparently is already going up. At some point it won't be worth it.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well I am here in the LHR UC lounge. Went to get a selection of newspapers and there are none. Literally none. And they will not be returning anytime soon it seems. 1Kvoice, for the good it will do, will get an email.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Jul 24, 2019 at 1:00 am
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Well I am here in the lounge. Went to get a selection of newspapers and there are none. Literally none. And they will not be returning anytime soon it seems. 1Kvoice, for the good it will do, will get an email.
Another Kirby "enhancement."
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Howard
I'm very disappointed with this change. I prefer to read the news in print, not only in the club, but also on the airplane. Of course I can always buy the WSJ at an airport gift shop before going to the club, but over the course of a year that probably adds at least $100 to the cost of club membership, which apparently is already going up. At some point it won't be worth it.
Fully agree. Many customers still read the print version from the UC. If anything they could have reduced the amount of newspapers they carried... but United didn't have to ELIMINATE them totally. Very cheap...
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Well I am here in the LHR UC lounge. Went to get a selection of newspapers and there are none. Literally none. And they will not be returning anytime soon it seems. 1Kvoice, for the good it will do, will get an email.
Too late for you now but just go over to one of the other *A lounges and grab papers from there if one has the time. There are four *A other options besides the UC: LH Senator and Business Lounges in T-2A, AC Maple Leaf Lounge, SQ SilverKris in T-2B. There is also a Plaza Premium lounge in T-2A with periodicals for those with PP access.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gmt4
Too late for you now but just go over to one of the other *A lounges and grab papers from there if one has the time. ...
Might be easier just to buy a paper at the many locations in Term C vs 40+ roundtrip minute trip to Term A or B (unless you have a reason to already to go to one of the other terminals.

Unhappy with the removal of the papers but not going to spend that much time to save a buck or two. Rather spend the time perusing FT

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 2019 at 9:01 pm
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Might be easier just to buy a paper at the many locations in Term C vs 40+ roundtrip minute trip to Term A or B (unless you have a reason to already to go to one of the other terminals.

Unhappy with the removal of the papers but not going to spend that much time to save a buck or two. Rather spend the time perusing
It wasn't so much a suggestion to run around between terminals as it was a statement that there are options to find a newspaper in a lounge besides the UC. Apparently newspapers are the determinant between a happy flight and an unpleasant one in the year 2019. Personally I don't understand that, but to each their own.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Amusingly this is the answer I got:

We have heard consistent feedback from the majority of our members and guests that modern, refreshed facilities and enhanced food and beverage offerings are the most important aspects of their airport lounge experience. This change allows us to better focus our investment in these areas.

Does anyone know what sort of compensation I should ask for?

Joking...........
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Amusingly this is the answer I got:

We have heard consistent feedback from the majority of our members and guests that modern, refreshed facilities and enhanced food and beverage offerings are the most important aspects of their airport lounge experience. This change allows us to better focus our investment in these areas.
The above response is a complete copy and paste from the response someone on FT received when most papers were originally removed over a year ago. Check out Post #61 from this very thread and ctownflyer received this exact same response.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29837232-post61.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.