Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, FTR Summit
Free stuff disappearing at United Lounges

Any insights other than the obvious for why free items are disappearing? First, USA Today...now the WSJ. Anything else on the way out?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As soon as Kirby finds something to cut, he will certainly do so - I would expect food and beverage downgrades at a minimum.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by newfather
Any insights other than the obvious for why free items are disappearing? First, USA Today...now the WSJ. Anything else on the way out?
What else is left that can be replaced by a smartphone?

Originally Posted by bocastephen
As soon as Kirby finds something to cut, he will certainly do so - I would expect food and beverage downgrades at a minimum.
I used a UC for the first time recently and ... what possible downgrades in that area could they even make? I guess downgrading Illy to Starbucks or Folgers coffee would be the only one I could think of.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The did raise membership fees, so profit is not a dirty word..

Enjoy your 2 free passes a year, more than AA will give you..
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Gig103
What else is left that can be replaced by a smartphone?...
Flight status monitors.

Kirby’s figuring out how to monetize UC power outlets for your device.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Even though F&B is actually improving in a number of clubs?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:18 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

The easiest thing for UA to remove from the UCs are the agents who work there. Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
From the mind of Kirby:
New to UCs; coin-operated toilets!
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:08 am

Found some magazines at ORD this morning. 😃
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by EWR764

Even though F&B is actually improving in a number of clubs?
Agree with this sentiment. Yea sure the free newspapers were nice but I suspect in this day and age they were left with multiple extras thrown out at the end of each day.

If food and beverage is improving they can cut everything else. And I agree, F&B has gotten better, and recent renovations at many are nice.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

Agree with this sentiment. Yea sure the free newspapers were nice but I suspect in this day and age they were left with multiple extras thrown out at the end of each day.

If food and beverage is improving they can cut everything else. And I agree, F&B has gotten better, and recent renovations at many are nice.

Not in my experience. The papers were always gone by mid morning rather than tons left over.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

Have you been to EWR? Food and beverage are indecent. Salty soup, cheese bombs, and dried out vegetables.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by manstein58

Have you been to EWR? Food and beverage are indecent. Salty soup, cheese bombs, and dried out vegetables.
IAH and LAX have had noticeably better food over the past year.

Last i I was in EWR it was a pop up lounge I visited and the food was perfectly adequate as it was all prepackaged snacks.

Its not winning any culinary awards but if it’s an indication of anything maybe it’s that they are refocusing capital toward things that matter most to most people. As much as I’ve grabbed a newspaper for myself in the past, I just can’t imagine that’s the driver in the club.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
How sad. The print WSJ was an important benefit of the club. I find the print and digital versions of newspapers not to be equivalent -- they are different products. The print newspaper in particular is wonderful if you peruse each page in order, getting a holistic view of the news. Online I tend to hone in on only my particular interests.
Truth!
I read a bunch of scientific papers daily as part of my research job and find that I can remember the locations of important information within the body better in formats that simulate book form. I also retain data much better if it is in book/page form-probably because the brain maps the page as you are reading it and links data tables and text visually together.

In addition, when using reference books, I am able to search for data much faster in an actual book because you remember sections of the book by their visual depth in the thickness (once you have read through it)-something which cannot be done with any digital edition.

Originally Posted by manstein58

This! Although, IME, IAH is just as bad. I no longer enjoy the experience in any UC. I do like the Polaris lounges when I fly internationally, but I prefer the PP options at IAH over the UC any day of the week.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
From the mind of Kirby:
New to UCs; coin-operated toilets!
Although not related to this thread, Kirby would make more money by having the coin-operated toilets in the planes......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.