Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

way to get fare down for EWR-BOM, such as starting from another eastern airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

way to get fare down for EWR-BOM, such as starting from another eastern airport?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gusd
Sorry this is OT, but you do know that if he changes the ticket it would be $300 + fare difference, right? So in that case, he would actually be out of an additional $300 besides the later fare.
Yeah, he doesn't fly much, but that said he only needed 3 additional days and didn't know about fare lock either. He saw the fare and bought it. After I showed him the fare rules he knew he had almost a week before the fare went kaput. He ended up not changing it and flew the flight as planned.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gusd
Sorry this is OT, but you do know that if he changes the ticket it would be $300 + fare difference, right? So in that case, he would actually be out of an additional $300 besides the later fare.
It depends upon the specific fare rules, the change being made, and when you’re changing it. It can run the gamut from “no changes are permitted” to “all changes require re-faring,” and everything in between. However, it is fairly common to be able to make a change into the same fare class when the first flight coupon is unchanged. So, basically, you can often adjust the return flight of an itinerary for just the change fee if you can find inventory in your ticketed fare class (P, in this case).

As an aside — I really encourage everyone to read the fare rules, especially the changes and cancellations sections, for any itinerary you’re purchasing. I’ve seen LH business class fares that disallow all changes. I’ve seen fares from UA that only allow changes to a more expensive fare — the instructions are to ignore any residual credit rather than to issue an ETC.

It may not be important on a $175 domestic fare that cost less than the change fee, but for international tickets, it’s worth the time to make sure you understand what will happen if your plans do change.
Kmxu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.