Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

way to get fare down for EWR-BOM, such as starting from another eastern airport?

way to get fare down for EWR-BOM, such as starting from another eastern airport?

Old May 25, 2018, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold

Hi there everyone. I spent a bit searching for this on an existing thread but did not find it so PLEASE forgive me if this is a dupe. I fly United about once a year or so but I want to purchase a r/t Biz Class to BOM. I live in DC but don't mind "repositioning" to a diff city to get a better fare. I have two questions please (oh, and I'd like to book the EWR-BOM portion on United if I can)
1. i can leave out of any city West of the Mississippi really, any city known to have slightly better fares so then I can do XXX-EWR-BOM?
2) I curr have about 40,000 miles on United. Is there any tool I can use to shave some $ off the fare (I don't care much about earning miles if that's a consideration)?
thanks for any helpful input and safe travels.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by soxfanndc
Hi there everyone. I spent a bit searching for this on an existing thread but did not find it so PLEASE forgive me if this is a dupe. I fly United about once a year or so but I want to purchase a r/t Biz Class to BOM. I live in DC but don't mind "repositioning" to a diff city to get a better fare. I have two questions please (oh, and I'd like to book the EWR-BOM portion on United if I can)
1. i can leave out of any city West of the Mississippi really, any city known to have slightly better fares so then I can do XXX-EWR-BOM?
2) I curr have about 40,000 miles on United. Is there any tool I can use to shave some $ off the fare (I don't care much about earning miles if that's a consideration)?
try round tripping from YYZ. Often cheaper than the direct From EWR. Youd fly YYZ-EWR-BOM
br2k likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
BOS starting had a nice sale earlier, but i think it is over as well

This forum is a good place to look: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/ and for business/first class: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/
Old May 25, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
What's the best price you have found so far, and how much are you looking to pay?

If award space is available on UA or its partners (or on any of AA's partners), you might explore the cost of just buying the miles you need directly from AA or UA when they run a mileage sale.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You also have to factor in the obvious cost of the positioning flights and the risk that, since you will be on a separate ticket, something goes wrong on your positioning and you lose your ticket to India. Thus, you need to allow a good hunk of time such as an overnight at the positioning location, meaning hotel + food + value of your time.

The only thing you can do is to tinker with alternatives until you hit one, add in the extras from above and then calculate risk + wear & tear and figure out if it's worth it.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:52 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
BOS starting had a nice sale earlier, but i think it is over as well

This forum is a good place to look: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/ and for business/first class: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/
I took advantage of that BOS fare; ended up BOS-IAH-EWR-BOM // BOM-EWR-ORD-BOS at around 40K PQM. It's been available twice in 2018, who knows....
Old May 25, 2018, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
thanks everyone. To clarify two things
1) I'm willing to pay $ for the ticket and hoping to get it around $2500 r/t if possible
2) my ref to my miles was to inquire if there was a way to use miles to reduce the $ cost

i'm also seeing fares to DEL close to that amount so if need be, I can just suck it up and fly to DEL and then get Air India from DEL-BOM, as I don't mind being in coach for that short 2 hrs flight or so. Thanks again for the helpful replies!
Old May 25, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I really don't think you're going to get Business from the US to India for $2,500. Just use Google Flights and put in a bunch of airports for departure and then play around with dates.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seeing DCA/BWI-DEL from $2853 roundtrip. Requires Sun-Wed outbound and Mon-Thu return. Google flights shows limited availability on EWR-BOM non-stop at $3367 roundtrip (PXNC76S fare).

Last edited by xliioper; May 25, 2018 at 9:14 pm
Old May 25, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by catocony
I really don't think you're going to get Business from the US to India for $2,500. Just use Google Flights and put in a bunch of airports for departure and then play around with dates.
You could get it for $1800 this past winter for summer travel, my boss booked his trip, knowing that paying the $300 change fee would still be cheaper than a later fare. They were on sale for almost 3 weeks at $2200 from BOS, so <$2500 is definitely doable
Old May 25, 2018, 9:31 pm

YYZ business fares are often in that range. Sometimes New York too, but not as often.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Absolute
I took advantage of that BOS fare; ended up BOS-IAH-EWR-BOM // BOM-EWR-ORD-BOS at around 40K PQM. It's been available twice in 2018, who knows....
BOS fare was good, it came up in Jan and Feb. Fare was good to BOM and DEL.
UA/LH/*A: BOS-BOM, ~$2,250 RT in Biz (P)
Old May 26, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by catocony
That, or a similar function with ITA Matrix that also support 30-day searches and flex length of stay. The OP could check 20 departure airports in under 3 minutes. OP won't be able to search Canadian airports in the same search as U.S. airports. Segment limits and carrier constraints work.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/#searc...=NYCBOM-BOMNYC
Old May 27, 2018, 5:20 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Try ZFV, IAD, ORD in that order.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
You could get it for $1800 this past winter for summer travel, my boss booked his trip, knowing that paying the $300 change fee would still be cheaper than a later fare. They were on sale for almost 3 weeks at $2200 from BOS, so <$2500 is definitely doable
Sorry this is OT, but you do know that if he changes the ticket it would be $300 + fare difference, right? So in that case, he would actually be out of an additional $300 besides the later fare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.