Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chinese government plans to punish United for not listing Taiwan as "Taiwan, China"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chinese government plans to punish United for not listing Taiwan as "Taiwan, China"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, UA 1K
What should UA do about the China deadline?

The government of mainland China (PRC) has imposed a Wednesday deadline for the big 3 US carriers to change their global booking sites to reflect that Taipei is a part of China (and not suggestive of any independence otherwise).

How do you think UA and the other carriers should/will respond?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 2018 at 10:19 pm Reason: merged into existing discussion
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Has China said what will happen if they don't comply?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by coinboy66
The government of mainland China (PRC) has imposed a Wednesday deadline for the big 3 US carriers to change their global booking sites to reflect that Taipei is a part of China (and not suggestive of any independence otherwise).

How do you think UA and the other carriers should/will respond?
President Trump's administration has already advised U.S. airlines to give in and comply
with Chinese demands... well... at leastremove any mention of the word "Taiwan"
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
As it's past midnight on the west coast I just checked united.com for flight search. And it looks like United has simply removed the country for the airports/cities in question, AND for airports/cities in the PRC.

HKG = Hong Kong (HKG)
TPE = Taipei (TPE - Taoyuan)
TSA = Taipei (TSA - Songshan)
PEK = Beijing (PEK - Capital)
PVG = Shanghai (PVG - Pu Dong)
CTU = Chengdu (CTU)

Compared with other countries -
LHR = London, GB (LHR - Heathrow)
ICN = Seoul, KR (ICN - Incheon)
NRT = Tokyo, JP (NRT - Narita)
SIN = Singapore, SG (SIN)
HAN = Hanoi, VN (HAN)

edit - Delta has done the same.
drewguy likes this.

Last edited by usbusinesstraveller; Jul 25, 2018 at 1:57 am
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
As it's past midnight on the west coast I just checked united.com for flight search. And it looks like United has simply removed the country for the airports/cities in question, AND for airports/cities in the PRC.

HKG = Hong Kong (HKG)
[...]
Looks like United took my advice!:

Originally Posted by threeoh
Since no one disagrees about the name of the city, why don't they just list TAIPEI as the city name and omit any country name? Similar to how the U.S. lists JERUSALEM w/o country as place of birth in passports (or did).
​​​​​​​
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat

HKG = Hong Kong (HKG)
CTU = Chengdu (CTU)

HAN = Hanoi, VN (HAN)

This is consistent with a One China policy, in that all cities in Greater China get the same treatment.

I'm not sure where they get those country codes from. The ccTLD for the area that London is a part of is .uk, not .gb.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by STS-134
This is consistent with a One China policy, in that all cities in Greater China get the same treatment.

I'm not sure where they get those country codes from. The ccTLD for the area that London is a part of is .uk, not .gb.
I'm pretty sure the airlines don't give a hoot about ccTLDs (there were airlines way before the internet), and probably use ISO 3166-1 alpha 2 or their own proprietary list based on ISO 3166.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1

I guess if they were strictly following ISO 3166 they'd list Taipei as "Taipei, CN"
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Edited by OP: If I can't comment on what reciprocal measures might be, I might as well just delete the rest of the post too.

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Jul 25, 2018 at 4:48 pm Reason: OT, OMNI content removed
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This is certainly a loss, but not totally in that unlike the Marriott fiasco, the airlines are just removing the country names - since everyone already knows Taiwan is independent and Taipei is a city in Taiwan, whether the country is there or not is not the end of the world and is far less of a mistake than showing, for example, TPE- Taipei, CN.

Since my agency generates its own confirmation documents, we will continue putting out docs showing Taipei, Taiwan just as before.

Last edited by bocastephen; Jul 25, 2018 at 2:42 pm Reason: OT;OMNI content removed
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:44 pm

HKG = Hong Kong (HKG)
CTU = Chengdu (CTU)

HAN = Hanoi, VN (HAN)

Good solution. No one gets TW, and no one gets CN either.

Edit: Someone on another forum called this the "Zero China Policy." I like it.

Last edited by sincx; Jul 25, 2018 at 2:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.