Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does anybody else feel like it’s a little harsh in here...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum

I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I can’t help but feel that the tone in many of the active threads has gotten pretty snarky in recent months.

I come to FlyerTalk to get latest info and details about fleet and lounge updates, schedule and service changes, etc.

And yes, sometimes to share a gripe or two.

But when I post to a thread (admittedly, not that often) I take time and care to phrase my requests clearly and put forward a balanced view of my in the air and on the ground experiences. I see many others on the site, particularly very active posters like EWR764 and WineCountryUA, going out of their way to post clear, comprehensive and balanced information.

What surprises me me are the few, but seemingly growing number, of posts and replies that contain something to the effect of “ ... yeah, but I knew that already ...” or “Here’s all the ways in which you are dead wrong!”

I’m all for good debate and lively exchange, but it seems like we we could all be a little more appreciative when someone takes time to post a really thoughtful, detailed contribution or comment. Be respectful others’ points of view.

And keep the shade at a friendly level.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
While FT has always been a place to bring complaints, I think folks are generally less happy with loyalty programs and unfortunately we are spending a lot of time digesting bad news or situations on the board, so there is generally a less positive/constructive tone... my $0.02
NoLaGent and BearX220 like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
if you want to experience real snarkiness, try the BA threads.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by jcacciotti
Be respectful others’ points of view.

And keep the shade at a friendly level.

Duh! I knew that ALREADY!

Originally Posted by jcacciotti
...the tone in many of the active threads has gotten pretty snarky in recent months.
You are dead wrong!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Hmmm...like the GS on the SFO Polaris Lounge thread who said they didn't want to associate with non-GS people?
EAlyse, tomwhom and leftax like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
duh! I knew that already!

You are dead wrong!
rofl 😊
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:09 pm

A few FTs disagree for the purpose of being disagreeable. Somebody posts an experience here and all the facts we can know are the facts they give us, but some FTs always second guess and flame the victim.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
In my early days of FT, the threads had a much different tone. People came here to share tricks of the trade - all within the terms and conditions of the mileage rules.

We sought ways to maximize miles.
We looked for ways to earn additional miles.
We shared methods to stretch the use of every upgrade coupon.
We opened doors to lesser known passenger rights.

Yes, we griped about things as well.

But the general tone was, "Let's see how we can work WITH United to make flying great." Often, now, it seem like, "United sucks. Let's screw them the way they screw us."

As I have maintained in FT... I've never faced the horror stories others have. And perhaps I have too much of the happiness gene. But I still find flying a pleasure, whether in coach or f, whether the meal is good or bad. I smile when I see the FA, I help when a passenger can't lift a bag, and I don't join the cacophony of voices that often complain when there is a delay.

It makes a difference when traveling.
It makes a difference on FT.
It makes a difference in life.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
As I have maintained in FT... I've never faced the horror stories others have. And perhaps I have too much of the happiness gene. But I still find flying a pleasure, whether in coach or f, whether the meal is good or bad. I smile when I see the FA, I help when a passenger can't lift a bag, and I don't join the cacophony of voices that often complain when there is a delay.

It makes a difference when traveling.
It makes a difference on FT.
It makes a difference in life.
I can completely agree - never experienced what many claim over and over.
jrpallante, ajGoes, KDS777 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
The race to the bottom does not make many people happy.

Young people want price and do not care about comfort until they experience the new bad. No real solution as they are really giving most people what they want.For me, Premium Economy is a godsend that I can afford as a senior.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
UA is substantially worse than it was a half dozen years ago. It's customers are no longer happy campers.
cairns, spin88, am1108 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
UA is substantially worse than it was a half dozen years ago. It's customers are no longer happy campers.
Which is funny, because the airlines are giving customers exactly what they've shown to want: A race to the bottom.
leftax, KDS777, DJ_Iceman and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Interesting point. One of the challenges is that this form of communication isn’t nuanced, so sarcasm, dry humor is ripe for misinterpretation. I tend to assume someone isn’t being serious. If they were to say the same thing to me in person, where non-verbal cues dominate communication, I’d likely not give it a second thought.

Alternatively , in my case, since I seem to be on-line a lot, it could be the case that I’m a socially, maladjusted oaf. <appropriate emoji> I favor the first explanation.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:11 pm

It's not just here, but this is the most recent place I've seen it. Slashdot has been ubearable with self obsessed narcissists for years, and it's definitely spreading across all types of forums.

I've simply reduced the amount of time I spend on forums, it keeps me less stressed. The overbearing posters yelling to hear their own correct opinions can run the place - I'll be engaging in the real world instead.

FWIW I blame social media for the lack of social skills on display.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
if you want to experience real snarkiness, try the BA threads.
Yes but even the gripes are so brilliantly witty and that wonderful dry sense of humor makes the snark so utterly enjoyable for one to read. I now start my daily reading of FT at the BA forum whilst sipping a good cuppa English Breakfast Tea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.