FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Does anybody else feel like it’s a little harsh in here...? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1903477-does-anybody-else-feel-like-s-little-harsh-here.html)

jcacciotti Apr 11, 2018 5:07 pm

Does anybody else feel like it’s a little harsh in here...?

I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I can’t help but feel that the tone in many of the active threads has gotten pretty snarky in recent months.

I come to FlyerTalk to get latest info and details about fleet and lounge updates, schedule and service changes, etc.

And yes, sometimes to share a gripe or two.

But when I post to a thread (admittedly, not that often) I take time and care to phrase my requests clearly and put forward a balanced view of my in the air and on the ground experiences. I see many others on the site, particularly very active posters like EWR764 and WineCountryUA, going out of their way to post clear, comprehensive and balanced information.

What surprises me me are the few, but seemingly growing number, of posts and replies that contain something to the effect of “ ... yeah, but I knew that already ...” or “Here’s all the ways in which you are dead wrong!”

I’m all for good debate and lively exchange, but it seems like we we could all be a little more appreciative when someone takes time to post a really thoughtful, detailed contribution or comment. Be respectful others’ points of view.

And keep the shade at a friendly level.

aCavalierInCoach Apr 11, 2018 5:11 pm

While FT has always been a place to bring complaints, I think folks are generally less happy with loyalty programs and unfortunately we are spending a lot of time digesting bad news or situations on the board, so there is generally a less positive/constructive tone... my $0.02

StuckinITH Apr 11, 2018 5:38 pm

if you want to experience real snarkiness, try the BA threads.

narvik Apr 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by jcacciotti (Post 29630110)
Be respectful others’ points of view.

And keep the shade at a friendly level.

Duh! I knew that ALREADY!

Originally Posted by jcacciotti (Post 29630110)
...the tone in many of the active threads has gotten pretty snarky in recent months.

You are dead wrong!

BlueZebra Apr 11, 2018 5:45 pm

Hmmm...like the GS on the SFO Polaris Lounge thread who said they didn't want to associate with non-GS people?

jcacciotti Apr 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 29630187)
duh! I knew that already!

You are dead wrong!

rofl 😊

Tizzette Apr 11, 2018 6:09 pm

A few FTs disagree for the purpose of being disagreeable. Somebody posts an experience here and all the facts we can know are the facts they give us, but some FTs always second guess and flame the victim.

zrs70 Apr 11, 2018 6:21 pm

In my early days of FT, the threads had a much different tone. People came here to share tricks of the trade - all within the terms and conditions of the mileage rules.

We sought ways to maximize miles.
We looked for ways to earn additional miles.
We shared methods to stretch the use of every upgrade coupon.
We opened doors to lesser known passenger rights.

Yes, we griped about things as well.

But the general tone was, "Let's see how we can work WITH United to make flying great." Often, now, it seem like, "United sucks. Let's screw them the way they screw us."

As I have maintained in FT... I've never faced the horror stories others have. And perhaps I have too much of the happiness gene. But I still find flying a pleasure, whether in coach or f, whether the meal is good or bad. I smile when I see the FA, I help when a passenger can't lift a bag, and I don't join the cacophony of voices that often complain when there is a delay.

It makes a difference when traveling.
It makes a difference on FT.
It makes a difference in life.

HNLbasedFlyer Apr 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 29630278)
As I have maintained in FT... I've never faced the horror stories others have. And perhaps I have too much of the happiness gene. But I still find flying a pleasure, whether in coach or f, whether the meal is good or bad. I smile when I see the FA, I help when a passenger can't lift a bag, and I don't join the cacophony of voices that often complain when there is a delay.

It makes a difference when traveling.
It makes a difference on FT.
It makes a difference in life.

I can completely agree - never experienced what many claim over and over.

oskidunker Apr 11, 2018 6:44 pm

The race to the bottom does not make many people happy.

Young people want price and do not care about comfort until they experience the new bad. No real solution as they are really giving most people what they want.For me, Premium Economy is a godsend that I can afford as a senior.

5khours Apr 11, 2018 6:50 pm

UA is substantially worse than it was a half dozen years ago. It's customers are no longer happy campers.

joe_miami Apr 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 29630343)
UA is substantially worse than it was a half dozen years ago. It's customers are no longer happy campers.

Which is funny, because the airlines are giving customers exactly what they've shown to want: A race to the bottom.

ContinentalFan Apr 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Interesting point. One of the challenges is that this form of communication isn’t nuanced, so sarcasm, dry humor is ripe for misinterpretation. I tend to assume someone isn’t being serious. If they were to say the same thing to me in person, where non-verbal cues dominate communication, I’d likely not give it a second thought.

Alternatively , in my case, since I seem to be on-line a lot, it could be the case that I’m a socially, maladjusted oaf. <appropriate emoji> I favor the first explanation.

vkng Apr 11, 2018 7:11 pm

It's not just here, but this is the most recent place I've seen it. Slashdot has been ubearable with self obsessed narcissists for years, and it's definitely spreading across all types of forums.

I've simply reduced the amount of time I spend on forums, it keeps me less stressed. The overbearing posters yelling to hear their own correct opinions can run the place - I'll be engaging in the real world instead.

FWIW I blame social media for the lack of social skills on display.

cruisr Apr 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 29630176)
if you want to experience real snarkiness, try the BA threads.

Yes but even the gripes are so brilliantly witty and that wonderful dry sense of humor makes the snark so utterly enjoyable for one to read. I now start my daily reading of FT at the BA forum whilst sipping a good cuppa English Breakfast Tea.