Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many transpac trips before I can get domestic upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Here’s my situation. I just started a new job that will have me doing monthly SFO-HKG trips in business and monthly sfo-bos trips in economy. I’d like to know from your experience how many Asia trips it will take before I can realistically get enough status to see the upgrade to business on the domestic legs.

Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
You will qualify for 1k and will 'earn' upgrade instruments that you will have to manually apply to each domestic leg. SFO-BOS is now a premium service and not eligible for complimentary upgrades.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by polar8
Here’s my situation. I just started a new job that will have me doing monthly SFO-HKG trips in business and monthly sfo-bos trips in economy. I’d like to know from your experience how many Asia trips it will take before I can realistically get enough status to see the upgrade to business on the domestic legs.

Thanks!

You should really become familiar with this. Look at satus level qualifications, benefits, etc. Then look at the "upgrades" page. Knowledge is power:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/default.aspx?int_source=loy&int_medium=uacom&int_c ampaign=mphome&partner_category=mphouse&partner_na me=premier_benefits&asset_type=mphome_link&launch_ date=2017-04-24

Qualifying for upgrades and getting them are completely different issues. Domestic flights w/ front cabins marketed as "Business" do not qualify for status-based complimentary upgrades.

In short, you'll need to get to at least Plat to get 2 upgrade certificates (one is required for each segment) to use on the SFO-BOS flights. At 1K, you'll get 8 more certificates (2 regional and 6 global). You really should read up on the program and the terms and conditions on your own to start with if UA is going to be an important airline frequent flyer program for you.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 6, 2018 at 7:43 pm
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
3 round trips you'll have platinum status, 4 round trips you'll have 1K status. Neither status will necessarily afford you guaranteed upgrade availability.

" Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier Platinum status, plus two more upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K® status. An additional two Regional Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 25,000 Premier qualifying miles "
You can request to apply one of these RPUs to each of your domestic legs. You'll pick up 2 RPU's every time you do a round trip to HKG (27,656 PQM each, nonstop -- more if you fly in full-fare J).
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:43 pm

you’ll be at 1K by your 4th trip which will give you 6 GPU’s and 4 RPU’s to use. Since you’re already flying J to Asia you can use both your GPU’s and RPU’s for the domestic legs and can probably afford to apply them to every flight you’re taking, whereas most of us are typically a bit more strategic with how we use them. I don’t travel transcon a lot but I hear upgrades are hard to come by on those routes so don’t hold your breath.

still, you’re going to be racking up a ton of miles and flying a new Polaris route to Asia I think you’ll be fine.

Last edited by david_oz; Apr 6, 2018 at 9:56 pm Reason: my bad math
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by david_oz
you’ll be at 1K by your 8th trip which will give you 6 GPU’s and 4 RPU’s to use. Since you’re already flying J to Asia you can use both your GPU’s and RPU’s for the domestic legs and can probably afford to apply them to every flight you’re taking, whereas most of us are typically a bit more strategic with how we use them. I don’t travel transcon a lot but I hear upgrades are hard to come by on those routes so don’t hold your breath.

still, you’re going to be racking up a ton of miles and flying a new Polaris route to Asia I think you’ll be fine.
He might even be global services by January.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by david_oz
you’ll be at 1K by your 8th trip...
4th trip, presuming UA metal (or probably the same with others).

SFO-HKG is 6,927 miles. Double that for return, and double for business class gives 27,708 PQM per return trip. 4 trips is 100K.

PQM would need to be $3k/trip - if you can find J to HKG for less than that then you're doing well...
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
4th trip, presuming UA metal (or probably the same with others).

SFO-HKG is 6,927 miles. Double that for return, and double for business class gives 27,708 PQM per return trip. 4 trips is 100K.

PQM would need to be $3k/trip - if you can find J to HKG for less than that then you're doing well...
correct. All those hours in Y have screwed up my mathematical ability
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks

He might even be global services by January.
This, I think, is the key. Upgrades ex-SFO are difficult to get. Even if OP were to eschew the nonstop (and the lie flat seats) and fly SFO-IAD-BOS or SFO-ORD-BOS or something, there's a good chance none of the legs would clear regularly until reaching GS.

Even as GS, it can be tough to clear instruments ex-SFO, but at least it's possible. OP: what days of the week will you be flying? You're going to have a much better chance at success on off-peak days.

I don't know the spend requirement for GS in SFO, but it's tough to imagine that 12x SFO-HKG in J would fall terribly short of it.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Have you thought about flying SQ between SFO and HKG and crediting to KrisFlyer? Assuming the flight timing works on SQ1/2, you get better service on the longhaul, and you can also credit JetBlue flights to KrisFlyer for your SFO-BOS runs. If you stick with UA domestically, you can get United Club access as a non-UA *G (but you’ll lose out on free E+).

Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
With a sub-$700 3-day Z fare, the premium cabin to BOS has never been cheaper. Just use cash, honestly.
onthesam likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Have you thought about flying SQ between SFO and HKG and crediting to KrisFlyer? Assuming the flight timing works on SQ1/2, you get better service on the longhaul, and you can also credit JetBlue flights to KrisFlyer for your SFO-BOS runs. If you stick with UA domestically, you can get United Club access as a non-UA *G (but you’ll lose out on free E+).

I'm not sure SQ service is worth losing out on GS. The difference between the Sq and Polaris hard products isn't that much.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I'm not sure SQ service is worth losing out on GS. The difference between the Sq and Polaris hard products isn't that much.
The mileage earnings are also not great on SQ. Paid J tix on UA are going to accrue a whole bunch more RDM once the Premier bonuses kick in.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You should really become familiar with this. Look at satus level qualifications, benefits, etc. Then look at the "upgrades" page. Knowledge is power:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ate=2017-04-24

Qualifying for upgrades and getting them are completely different issues. Domestic flights w/ front cabins marketed as "Business" do not qualify for status-based complimentary upgrades.

In short, you'll need to get to at least Plat to get 2 upgrade certificates (one is required for each segment) to use on the SFO-BOS flights. At 1K, you'll get 8 more certificates (2 regional and 6 global). You really should read up on the program and the terms and conditions on your own to start with if UA is going to be an important airline frequent flyer program for you.
Excellent information. And one should get familiar with all frequent traveler programs that they use, be it airline, hotel, or rental car. I'm always amazed how few learn all of this. The good thing is that all airline programs are fairly similar, all hotel programs are fairly similar, and all rental car programs are fairly similar. There are some specifics with each program, but all seem to have the same general rules.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold

Thanks!
I probably know which company you works for. And I think you probably buy very cheap contracted Full-fare J class to HKG
which means at 3 round trip you would have enough PQM to hit 1K, but not enough PQD.

12x SFO-HKG round trip should be enough for GS. I think that company has its own GS quota list which makes you qualify for GS easier in SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.