FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How many transpac trips before I can get domestic upgrades?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:32 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by polar8
Here’s my situation. I just started a new job that will have me doing monthly SFO-HKG trips in business and monthly sfo-bos trips in economy. I’d like to know from your experience how many Asia trips it will take before I can realistically get enough status to see the upgrade to business on the domestic legs.

Thanks!

You should really become familiar with this. Look at satus level qualifications, benefits, etc. Then look at the "upgrades" page. Knowledge is power:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/default.aspx?int_source=loy&int_medium=uacom&int_c ampaign=mphome&partner_category=mphouse&partner_na me=premier_benefits&asset_type=mphome_link&launch_ date=2017-04-24

Qualifying for upgrades and getting them are completely different issues. Domestic flights w/ front cabins marketed as "Business" do not qualify for status-based complimentary upgrades.

In short, you'll need to get to at least Plat to get 2 upgrade certificates (one is required for each segment) to use on the SFO-BOS flights. At 1K, you'll get 8 more certificates (2 regional and 6 global). You really should read up on the program and the terms and conditions on your own to start with if UA is going to be an important airline frequent flyer program for you.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 6, 2018 at 7:43 pm