Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New and extensive survey from UA about F&B at the United Clubs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and extensive survey from UA about F&B at the United Clubs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
To me this turns into a bit of a slippery slope. I can justify expensing the club membership on the intangible/difficult to truly quantify ground of increased productivity while in transit [not to mention my general increased happiness/decreased stress with traveling for work] and the very tangible/easily quantified reduction in my F&B spend while enroute. I see the club benefit as an all-in arrangement.

If they start ala-carte-ing food and beverage to any significant extent ($2 for a coke, $5 for a cheese plate, etc.) the club looses a great deal of its appeal and justification--and then I, perhaps pessimistically, see it as only a matter of time before other core offerings go ala-carte (want WiFi? That will be $3 for 4 hours. Need travel assistance? $20, please)

Maybe I'm paranoid but UA seems to be in the "cut cut cut mode" again and the experience is (re)starting to suffer.
I concur. If I believe United was really willing to differentiate between a "premium" product and mere snacks then I'd say OK. However, I also fear that United is in the "cut" mode and wants to monetize more.

The question becomes why would I even pay for lounge membership? The lounges are overcrowded most common flight hours so I'm paying for access to a crowded lounge and premium food. I would much rather pay more in an annual service fee for free and better booze; better food and more space. If I gonna be nickled and dimed then I see no reason for an annual membership. I'd just buy when I needed a lounge, maybe for business purposes.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum Pro
I got about 3/4 of the way through and then I mailed it in.. it felt like it was set up by a group of interns that haven't grasped that most people don't have the time or patience to do a 20 minute free interview.
mrt88 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenpau

All United Clubs are now run by Sodexo as the sole service partner, globally, across 50+ locations. They announced this in 2016, I believe, and have transitioned clubs one by one. LHR was the first to use them in 2014 and proved a roaring success, which gave them the edge on the global contract. Truth be told they are better under Sodexo, but in true UA style are wildly inconsistent ... LHR remains the jewel, with NRT, HKG, and the new LAX, SAN, and ORD clubs offering permanent new food/beverage close behind.
I doubt you meant to say that LAX, SAN, and ORD are 'close behind' LHR, NRT, and HKG in terms of comestible offerings. They are the best domestic clubs, but they are far removed from the quality of the international ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.