Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New and extensive survey from UA about F&B at the United Clubs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and extensive survey from UA about F&B at the United Clubs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Urgghh!

I can already see it:
"United will discontinue -beginning May 1- all food and beverage items offered in our clubs at all airports so that our customers have the option to purchase these items at the available OTG facilities, and such items may be brought into the club from that date forward.
This enhancement reflects United's continued commitment to provide the best experience for our customers and is based on feedback we received on our extensive F&B survey."
That's exactly what I was thinking - a lot of questions asking about spending habits for food / bev items - probably trying to gauge a breakpoint

United Club has gotten better but still the only free alcohol is mediocre; what they offer on board is far better.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
The SkyClubs are easily the Delta feature I miss the most and United has (overall) some catching up to do: true that in hubs the United clubs tend to be more spacious, but the F&B choices are much more inferior. Recent Delta additions included complimentary cocktail of the month, premium drinks for credit card holders free of charge, a local craft beer on tap complimentary and often featured local food items around the major meal times (Ivar clam chowder in Seattle, Philly cheesesteak sandwiches in philly etc)

notnsure what the point of the mega survey was, but if it signals that United is aware that things need to change, i’m All for it.

as it is, I tend to grab real food outside the lounge and then round out the meal with the brownies paired with Prosecco...
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Halo117
The one commwnt box i put: 1. Showers 2. Too crowded 3. If I want to pay for drinks I buy outside the lounge so instead of asking about paid drinks up the quality of complimentary options.

it was focusswd on food options but some stuff they dont even offer how could i ever say i was satisifed with a burger in the lounge. Get ready for United club by OTG...mark my words.
My feedback in the one and only freeform response box was 1. lack of showers 2. inability to use free beverage certs in the lounge (Likewise, in all my flight surveys I note that certs should be good for beverage OR food selection - now that only plats and 1k even get drink coupons, and 1Ks get free food and beverage on board anyway, why can't Plats at least have the option of redeeming the meager 5 certs for the item of their choice?!)
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Sorry I did not get this one but then again I have been vocal in my criticism of UA food in lounges and on planes. This is such an easy thing to get right (at least for the lounge) and they do it so cheaply and poorly because they apparently have a captive audience. Just visited the newer (Gate 60) lounge last night @sfo - the salad was tolerable but nothing else worth eating. I guess they can't afford to splurge for those nice soft pretzels you find in all the LH lounges. I don't even bother with the 3rd rate alcohol at the bar anymore.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I don't even bother with the 3rd rate alcohol at the bar anymore.
Huh? It is stocked like a high end bar....
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I think he meant the drinks that are offered for free.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:03 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Feedback given, let's see if they actually respond, LOL
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
The strangest question (mentioned above) was "How satisfied are you with the following aspects of the United Club?"

One of the selections was "Being able to take in your own food to eat (from home, bought in the airport)"
Another was "Quality/variety of hot food (eg. soup, burger, eggs, pancakes, oatmeal) available." I've seen oatmeal, but never any of the others, outside of (I think) an international lounge.

Edit: another even better version of that question: "How often do you have each of the following in the United Club" - "Hot food (eg soup, burger, eggs, pancakes) to take with me on to the plane." Choices range from "Every time I fly" to "Never." There should be a choice that says, "Seriously???" The question presumes you can take food out of the Club to the plane!!

Last edited by tarheelnj; Mar 28, 2018 at 5:39 am Reason: added an additional paragraph
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Stocked with high end selections? Miller Lite and no name wines, you call them higher end? If I want to drink and eat something before my flights, I go to Chef Geoff's at IAD. I have my hot food there, glass of Jameson and then I go to the lounge to have comfortable chair.

The survey was asking about "How was the burger in the lounge", I've never seen any solid food in United's lounges ever. The one that comes close to it, was make your own salad.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bwiadca
The survey was asking about "How was the burger in the lounge", I've never seen any solid food in United's lounges ever. The one that comes close to it, was make your own salad.
Well... the burger in the ORD Polaris lounge last year was quite possibly the best airport food I've ever eaten and one of the better burgers in the wild.
But that's in the Polaris lounge. The cheese cubes are mostly solid, and the brownies are close enough that I'd give them that, but I've never seen anything approaching a burger in complexity/texture/flavor/desirability in a non-Polaris lounge.

Heck, the salted soft pretzel in LH's FRA lounges would be a massive step up IMNSPO (non sophisticated palette)
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
The strangest question (mentioned above) was "How satisfied are you with the following aspects of the United Club?"

One of the selections was "Being able to take in your own food to eat (from home, bought in the airport)"
Another was "Quality/variety of hot food (eg. soup, burger, eggs, pancakes, oatmeal) available." I've seen oatmeal, but never any of the others, outside of (I think) an international lounge.

Edit: another even better version of that question: "How often do you have each of the following in the United Club" - "Hot food (eg soup, burger, eggs, pancakes) to take with me on to the plane." Choices range from "Every time I fly" to "Never." There should be a choice that says, "Seriously???" The question presumes you can take food out of the Club to the plane!!
Yeah, I thought those questions were odd:

afaik, you can't bring in outside food or drink

although it may be permissible to take food for the plane, I wouldn't feel right in doing so......
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by Xerinax
That's exactly what I was thinking - a lot of questions asking about spending habits for food / bev items - probably trying to gauge a breakpoint

United Club has gotten better but still the only free alcohol is mediocre; what they offer on board is far better.
That was one of my major comments - why should the vodka provided for free on the plane be the "premium" vodka in the lounge?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Got it too, agree with those that said:

It was LONG
It was surprising to see/read the questions related to bringing in outside food.
I did have a place early to leave a comment.

It was difficult to do on my phone, so I know I messed up some answers.

Also, I got the vibe asking about when you get food/beverages AFTER arriving..... made my ears perk up and wonder if they may be thinking about changing to not allowing arrivals in.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:25 am

I would like to see the Polaris Lounges (if they are all ever completed) turned into premium pay lounges along the line of the AmEx Centurion lounges. I think that would give UA the financial incentive not to “enhance” those lounges and I would likely pay a premium to use them.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
That survey took me forever! The free drink choices are appalling at United Clubs. Why would I pay the same price for a crown and coke as I would at a airport restaurant where at least I can get some good food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.