Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] FA says "No catering on short flights" beginning April 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rumor] FA says "No catering on short flights" beginning April 1, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
Was on the same flight April 8, and as a single reference point: this time NOTHING at all was offered.
Sadly, I neglected to ask FA if this was a one-off, or if this is indeed a new change. GA and UC staff knew nothing.

Would be nice to know if this is SOP now or if it was just a coincidence.
In the past year and a half, I took 28 flights that are only 84 miles. They never serve stroopwafels, pretzels or anything like that. About half the time, we get a glass of water. Actually, it's often the same FAs (only one per flight) and, as soon as I enter the plane, I say hello to the FA, recognize the FA and know it's one of the FAs that never serves water. Even my wife tells me: "today it's the no water flight". And to make it worse, some of the FAs like to spend their time counting the cans of soda and bottles of water. And they have no problem giving bottles of water to the pilots (maybe it's in their contract that they get water?). That's the flights that they want to add $3,500 roundtrip to a trip to Asia that only costs $3000 for the cool total of $6500. So, any change after April 1st will change nothing.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Flew ORD-GRR on Sunday, 4/8/18. No weather, delays or other interruptions - what I'd describe as a flight with normal ops. Departure time was ~10:00 PM.

Sat in 4B and received a pre-departure beverage....and that was it. Reached cruising altitude, seat belt sign came off, and we were free to move about the cabin. No water, snack or beverage service. What gives?
how long is that flight? Even an hour?

IME, the later evening short flights, especially when run by UAX, are always hit or miss (more often the latter) on those last departures. At least IME on the last ORD-CVG departures that leave between 9 and 9:30. It’s mainline now, but when it was express, had everything from regular service to water/OJ run to ‘due to the short duration of this flight, we won’t offer a beverage service’ (code for: its late and we don’t want to be up serving - clearly if they can do a full service on full flights in the afternoon - unless it’s turbulent for a while - there’s no need for that). Especially Trans States does the ‘we’re not going to bother with any service’ attitude. Especially annoying on the late flight since at least half the pax are usually sleeping, sometimes it’s me, but if I’m awake, you should definitely offer something. I get it on a 20 minute flight, but it’s usually 40 minutes+ at cruise, which is plenty of time for a service.

Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
SFO-MRY the flight attendants don’t even get up. What’s the point? You get on and off the plane lickity split no one is going to starve or die of thirst.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe

how long is that flight? Even an hour?

I think 55 minutes on paper, maybe 40 in the air? This was a mainline aircraft, 737, with 16 seats in F. I have no problem not getting a snack or drink (It's after 10:00 PM anyways and I'm going to bed soon.) It's just that the service is inconsistent. My last ORD-GRR flight in F served booze in glassware once we were airborne. At least get me some Premium pretzels?!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
I can't believe some here are saying no issue....on a personal level I agree, but it wasn't like they forced you to order. Yes while a small convenience, you still could refuse the service so no loss to you or ones who refuse but this is exactly the justification UA is wanting by saying "yup right call since they dont care" seriously a bag of ice would be the loss if not one person takes a drink.

On the principle of it, the message it sends is very big, "expectations of service be damned at any level."
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA & Hilton
It is hit or miss... I fly SDF or LEX to ORD on a weekly basis. Both are served by express flights and usual flying time is 60 mins, unless ORD is backed up. I typically take the first 6am flights out and never an issue. 99% of the time, the FA always comes thru with the cart. On the other occasions when it has been turbulent, they will come down the aisle with the tray of water and juice and ask if anyone would like coffee. Same goes for when coming in from ORD to LEX or SDF, always typically on the last flight in and always offered something.

Just last week was on mainline from BOS to EWR, 58 minute flight and the FA's were going up and down with the drink trays and you could request for something else.

I really hope UA steps up their game, as I really think they can become great.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Beverage service in economy on flights of less than 45 minutes in the air has always struck me as silly.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Beverage service in economy on flights of less than 45 minutes in the air has always struck me as silly.
OK, but 45 minutes in the air, plus boarding a half hour early, plus 10-15 minutes or more taxiing and waiting for clearance, that 45 minutes could be closer to two hours sitting in a cramped plane.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:03 pm
Suspended

All of that is still only 90 minutes, which isn't a long time for people to go without a drink or a snack. Anyone that concerned with hydration is carrying a water bottle anyway.

My main point re: "45 minutes" is that it's a race for the lone FA to get the service completed and the trash collected, since a 45-minute flight has maybe 25 minutes of no-seat-belt time. At minimum, it seems like it would be a lot more efficient if they simply offered pax a small water bottle or one of those mini cans of soda instead of the cup/ice/two sips system they use now.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
WN seems to have no issue doing a full drink service to the entire cabin of a 73G on e.g. SJC-BUR. I don't see why UA, especially UAX, can't manage similar.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:25 pm
Suspended

You're comparing a 296-mile flight to the 96-mile flight discussed in the OP?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by joe_miami
You're comparing a 296-mile flight to the 96-mile flight discussed in the OP?
ok WN does this on AUS-HOU.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:44 pm
Suspended

So does UA. The discussion is whether it's really necessary.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is anything really necessary? Are lie-flats on PS really needed?

Besides, flights like ORD-GRR are basically airborne beat the clock. The world is a drearier place if that does not exist.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Halo117
ok WN does this on AUS-HOU.
Look, I got a full breakfast from FRA-MUC in LH Biz class. That’s a full 186 Miles.

So it’s not a matter of possible, it’s a matter of intent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.